Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIN 2x€250 Blue Book Vouchers to celebrate Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness Week!

Options
  • 16-01-2015 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Electric Ireland's Powering Kindness week is back, from 17th - 23rd January!

BoardsPKImage_zpsf5aa651d.png

It’s the week we celebrate kindness, and encourage people to talk about and do acts of kindness for each other. Not to mention it will all help three great charities: The Irish Heart Foundation, The Marie Keating Foundation and ISPCC Childline

So how does it all work? Well, you just have to tell us about your kindness using #poweringkindness, tagging your chosen charity. Or you can go to poweringkindness.ie and log it there. The charity with the most kindnesses done in their name will win the largest share of the €130,000 prizefund!

blairscovehouse_3_1edit_zps3287a16a.jpg

And just for you Boards users, there’s the added chance to win 2x€250 Blue Book vouchers – perfect for a romantic break, a gourmet getaway, a luxury spa treatment, or whatever takes your fancy. We’re sure you deserve it. :)

For your chance to win these vouchers, leave a comment below telling us of a kindness once done for you. It can anything at all – from a surprise treat, to a sympathetic ear or understanding smile. As Aesop once put it, “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” 

Competitions runs til 23rd January, and the T&Cs are here.

Best of luck! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Standing in a huge Aldi queue with 1 item, 3 customers with massive shops told me to go in front. Made a difference after a long day at work #poweringkindness

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gerryd24

Went on my ear on the ice this morning and an old lady stopped and helped me up off the ground was so embarrassed didn't get her name so Thanks kind lady

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I live alone and managed to catch swine flu back when it was "popular".  My neighbours in an apartment building dropped groceries around to me regularly and checked up on me, and one even went out of his way to get me a Nintendo DS game when I started to recover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kiwisinead

My neighbour had cleared the snow off my car when he was doing his own. Epic neighbour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

I had lost an envelope addressed to esb with money inside to pay the electric bill, and a kind person gave it to esb who credited my account - many thanks to this kind person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭buttonsc

I took my sick daughter to the Doctor and he recommended that she was to go to Hospital immediately.I had no car available to me at the time, and the Doctors very kind wife took us, and stayed with me until we were dealt with. A kindness I willnever forget #poweringkindness #ISPCC Childline

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭warmblood

Just this morning I went outside as in mad hurry for appointment and found windscreen frozen over I started to scrape and suddenly two of my neighbours rushed out from seperate houses one with de icer the other with a kettle WOW  was I impressed. What timing what brill neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Today at work, one of my good friend went through a dirty vacuum cleaner bag, just to find a small piece from my car that had accidently gotten hoovered up in it. I was delighted that this was done for me!!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When I was pregnant with #2 random strangers used to keep me seats on the train,they were awesome:))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I was travelling in America by Greyhound Bus and when we stopped for a break  I spent too long on a phone call-not realizing the bus had gone without me.  A very very kind employee of the station offered me a lift to catch the bus---we flew like the wind and caught it a good few miles up the road. Twas a life-saver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shivie

My friend told me about an extremely good deal on my favourite perfume, and grabbed me a couple of bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Guys at a petrol station noticed my friends tyre was flat and changed it really speedily and with no fuss. Lovely thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

I was leaving work one evening and I was feeling very very miserable. A number of things were weighing heavy on me and I was wondering if I should just pack in my job. I don't think that I was ever as low before or since - thank God! In the distance I saw a colleague and he started making his way over to me. He was a senior member of staff and also a senior in years. I wonder did he see the pain etched on my face. He just started chatting to me about ordinary things - but he did so in such a way that hoisted me out of the black hole that I'd been swirling around for a few hours.... I'm not sure if he knew what he was doing. The strange thing is that he's normally a very matter of fact person - quite rational and sometimes cold and distant. But on this occasion his conversation was like a ray of sunshine... It was random and it was most certainly a precious act of kindness 

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Was feeling stressed out and down recently about work, was talking to my fiancee about it and she gave me the biggest hug & offered reassurance that night and she bought me/us tickets to the Walworth Farce in the Olympia to cheer me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

surprise treat

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cocopops

Sixteen years after my father passed away, his old work colleagues 'heard on the grapevine' I had a problem with a pipe so landed at my house to fix it. They then proceeded to power wash my steps and did about five wee odd jobs for me. Couldn't believe it. They said they owed Daddy a few favours and it was the least they could do. Brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've lost my wallet 3 times in my life... and all times I got it returned!!

The first time, I got a phone call in the morning from someone nearby who asked me if I lost my wallet.
    I didn't think so, but when I looked, I couldn't find it! It must have fallen out of my pocket as I got out of the taxi on the road outside my house the night before. 
    They had picked it up while walking their dog, and went home to check my name in the phone book. so glad I got everything back!

The second time, I've no idea where I lost it, but the person was able to send it to my workplace as I'd my company ID card in it.

The third time, some kind person left it into the local Garda station.

It's a wallet I got for my 18th birthday from my parents (well over 10 years ago), and it seems to never want to leave me :)
    To be fair, the kindness of those 3 people always makes me smile, and I'm always sure to go out of my way to return any lost items I find to their owners. It means a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

For 8 years I've cut both of my neigbours grass when doing my own. This weekend I noticed that one of them had popped Daffodill bulbs under my lawn during the autum gone for a Spring treat of Daffs lining my driveway.

Delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Trev De rev

My 3 daughter Lucia has a favourite teddy Elmo that she has since her first Christmas and he goes everywhere wit her, comforts when she's sad and helps her sleep. She has lost this on numerous occasions but people will always pick it up and give it back 2 us. Thanks 2 all these people she gets a good night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

My brother went out of his way over the weekend to drop something out to me, it was very kind of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

When I was going through a difficult time recently, a neighbour of mine told me that if I ever needed to talk, or even someone to shout and swear at, her door was always open. Just knowing someone was willing to do that made such a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I mentioned that I'd love some cake. My husband secretly went to the kitchen and made chocolate fondants for us! Lovely surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Girlfriend took me away on a weekend to Waterford, would be nice to return the favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annie_goss

On Dec 19th last, my 3yr old son was due to take part in a nativity play at Montessori so I had arranged to leave work early to make the 40 mile trip in comfort. However, to my horror, I realised I had a flat tyre. I can change a tyre, but it was my husband's car and it was proving extremely difficult to change. 2 colleagues immediately came to my rescue and eventually changed the wheel with much difficulty. They returned to work and I attempted to drive the car, it wouldn't move, the wheel was jammed to the brake disc, as it turned out the spare was a rear wheel put onto the front. I was distraught knowing I'd never get home in time for the performance. As I despondently returned to work, I got chatting to the security guard (more like bawling) and he offered me his car keys and instructed me to take his car, I didn't even know him all that well! I flew home and got to the show 15 mins late just as they were applauding, I missed the whole thing but the most important thing is, my son thinks I was there....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Asked for directions in Galway this weekend and ended up getting a lift off the couple I asked. Was only a few minutes away but it was a very nice gesture. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

A few years ago we were returning from holidays in Spain and were driving back to the car ferry. As we got to the frontier between Spain and France we came to a toll-booth on the motorway. I drove into the one lane reserved for credit-card payments. Lots of cars in the queue for this toll lane. Gradually we moved nearer to the toll machine. However when we put in the credit card there was nothing happening and the barrier would not open.

We tried a few times but no luck. The drivers behind us in the queue, mainly french and spanish, were getting restless and we could hear muffled remarks and gestures. We were so embarrassed.

The only solution for us was to reverse out of this lane and use another lane that took cash. To do this would mean that every car (now almost 30) in the line behind us would also have to reverse to allow us out of the lane!!

Suddenly, from far back in the line of cars, a car door opened and a driver approached us. We thought this spelt trouble and were about to explain to this man what was wrong, when, without a word, he put his own credit-card into the toll-booth to open it and ushered us through.

This Spanish man was a life-saver.

We waited on the other side of the toll-both to thank and repay this man and waved him down as he exited the toll. However he would not stop but waved and gave us a thumbs up and drove away. What a nice memory to have leaving the country.

Since then I try to pay the toll of any foreign car behind me at toll-booths here to repay the kindness of that Spanish gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Was in Bulgaria a few months back on a work trip,was in a technologhy store looking to buy something but the staff werent great in English,a local guy spotted i was having trouble communicating and came over and asked if he could translate for me,he did and i bought the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Robbie085

The Christmas before last, I was selling some stuff on adverts,
    someone asked me why I was selling a collectors item that I own,
    I explained it was to buy santy pressies for my Children,
    He then Donated €100 to my paypal account on top of the asking price
    What a star, he saved my Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I was having a bad week, things just weren't going my way at all. On my way to connolly station to head home for the weekend, i couldnt find my wallet on me anywhere. I explained my story to irish rail staff, they were sympathetic but couldn't do anything. An american who was behind me in the queue for the info desk, then offered to pay for my ticket. I was so happy with it, still makes me smile to this day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amerie2010

I was desperately searching for tickets to a concert that was sold out a couple of years ago, came across a guy online that had tickets and he wasn't going to be able to attend. He kindly offered them to me & wouldn't take any money for them. The only rule was that I go and enjoy myself! Well I truly did and got to meet some of the band afterwards which was a bonus! #poweringkindness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement