Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ash vs Evil Dead--Starz [**Spoilers**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Loving this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is getting better and better with each episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Great fun again. Looking forward to seeing what Lucy Lawless brings.
    Really good effects on the demon too I thought. Great make up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, I have to say they're doing a great job on the monster side of things. You can see the inventiveness and clever mix of practical and CGI effects, that monster in the bookshop was well-done.

Another quality episode, I'm glad it's working out and doubts about it were quickly washed away...........from the copious amounts of blood :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

How have I only seen this thread now? Will defo be tuning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Really enjoying this. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The SFX are great in this and the dialogue is hilarious.The team is really gelling well together. Great third episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Which version of the "army of darkness" is the right one?

Directors cut or theatrical....which one did I see?

No spoilers plz, haven't seen it in 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This series more or less acts like Army of Darkness never happened. Or at least don't talk about it due to some rights issue. But since the main difference is the ending, it's hard to say which you saw without giving spoilers.

As for the latest episode, how stupid could that cop be? Though when he was summoning I was just thinking "Sure, what could possibly go wrong?" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

CastorTroy wrote: »
    This series more or less acts like Army of Darkness never happened. Or at least don't talk about it due to some rights issue. But since the main difference is the ending, it's hard to say which you saw without giving spoilers.

As for the latest episode, how stupid could that cop be? Though when he was summoning I was just thinking "Sure, what could possibly go wrong?" :)
    Oh, good to know the films dont matter to the TV show.

Which version of the film you think is best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

That was an excellent episode, genuinley one of te funniest things I've watched in a while.
    The line about churros was gold. Ash/Bruce Cambell is massively likeable

Ash: OK, look, if we get this done quick enough, we might have time to stop for churros. That's not a racist thing, Pablo. That's just a great dessert.
    Pablo: OK? You know I'm not Mexican, right?
    Ash: That's the spirit!"

Also, "I'm an alone wolf."

Just say No kids!

I think you would have needed to say Yes to fully get that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Which version of the "army of darkness" is the right one?

Directors cut or theatrical....which one did I see?

No spoilers plz, haven't seen it in 20 years.

I would have thought the theatrical version as
    he ends up back working in S-Mart but the other version he goes 100 years into the future and the world is in ruins

This just gets more fun.

Killing the kid made me laugh so much and then the use if the meat slicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Am I alone in thinking that's it's not all that great? Saying it as someone that reckons 'Evil Dead 2' is one of if not my favourite film of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Now available on Virgin Media On Demand boxsets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Birneybau wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that's it's not all that great? Saying it as someone that reckons 'Evil Dead 2' is one of if not my favourite film of all time.

No, you're not alone. The series is utterly lifeless.

At it's heart Evil Dead 2 is a series of Three Stooges gags in a horror movie so I think the problem lies with the shooting, direction and editing of the show. None of these elements have an ounce of comic timing and as a result everything just clunks and falls flat. None of that is helped by the soap grade actors in the leads who have no real chemistry or comic timing either.

Then there's the fact that it suffers all the inital problems of the film series, an utterly incohorent and inconsistant narrative and mythology and a wafer thin plot. The series doesn't really expand anything particulary well and feels kind of amatuer (half) hour.

It really needed a reboot with some talent behind it to give it some energy and kick, sadly it all feels a little like season 2 of 'Sleepy Hollow' to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭squonk

conorhal wrote: »
    No, you're not alone. The series is utterly lifeless.

At it's heart Evil Dead 2 is a series of Three Stooges gags in a horror movie so I think the problem lies with the shooting, direction and editing of the show. None of these elements have an ounce of comic timing and as a result everything just clunks and falls flat. None of that is helped by the soap grade actors in the leads who have no real chemistry or comic timing either.

Then there's the fact that it suffers all the inital problems of the film series, an utterly incohorent and inconsistant narrative and mythology and a wafer thin plot. The series doesn't really expand anything particulary well and feels kind of amatuer (half) hour.

It really needed a reboot with some talent behind it to give it some energy and kick, sadly it all feels a little like season 2 of 'Sleepy Hollow' to me.

That's a bit harsh. I find it pretty good. It's a good laugh and, at half an hour, it doesn't outstay it's welcome which is pretty important. I think less is more really. Bruce Campbell shines in this. I agree to some extent that his two assistancts won't ever set the world on fire but they're likeable and funny enough too, just not as funny as el jefe!

I think most people's acting in this is atrocious, like the cop.

I do find it an enjoyable show though and Bruce effortlessly carries his role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have to say I'm loving it. Even the opening titles with the ridiculous over the top dramatic music make me smile.

It's brilliant fun.

• Advertisement

I will say this about the show actually, the writers don't seem to know what to do with some of the characters and really plough through their stories.

The cop (again) has gone from spending most of the season hunting Ash to instantly being a love interest and swooning over him so quickly, in fact most of the characters have little no impact on what's happened to them.

That's the catch 22 of the episodes being short, I guess, I think the show would suffer if it were longer but everything moves so quickly that nothing seems to really matter.

Though it's Ash Vs. Evil Dead so when it comes to him killing deadites I can't complain about that, this ain't really much more of a show than that! They have a chance with this show to get real inventive with kills (for the most part they have) and have it dripping in black humour. Honestly, I expected this show to be a lot worse than it actually is, I quite enjoy it.

Looking forward to the next episode with him meeting his hand at the cabin, hopefully a ludricious fight scene between them happens again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Back in the cabin & an Evil Ash. Im happy :D

Bruce Campbell's comic timing is just perfect.

Now THAT was an Evil Dead episode!

That cleavage pun, too! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not getting the love for this at all. It's fucking terrible, if I'm perfectly honest.

Just finished with ep 8 and I think I'm done.

Have to admit, I'm not a Sam Raimi fan, nor was I a fan of 1981's 'The Evil Dead'. But I did like 'The Evil Dead II' and I have time for Bruce Campbell.

But this show is as dull as something from 90's TV. 'Brisco County Jr' and 'Xena Warrior Princess', I'm looking at you. The acting is appalling, the scripts are lame, the dialogue is mostly obvious, the CGI gore is pathetic and the comedy is seriously unfunny.

This show also has no idea where it's going. There's simply no point to it, other than trying to drag something more from Ash, who is the only thing that had any umph in the entire series, from 1981 til now. Everything else is just rubbish. The weirdly, ugly/attractive, Jewish girl is watchable, but everybody else might as well have stayed in bed, Jill Marie Jones being particularly mediocre
    not that that matters any more.

I'm astounded that this is so popular. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm not getting the love for this at all. It's fucking terrible, if I'm perfectly honest.

Just finished with ep 8 and I think I'm done.
    I loved it early on, but yeah like you it's kinda done for me now. Bruce is watchable, but it seems to have no idea where to go from here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I agree, the quality has dropped a bit since the first few episodes. It feels like the story is already running out of steam.

It's still enjoyable enough though so I'll stick with it till the end of this season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Piss poor finale. Ash is a moron.

I wouldn't be too bothered if this didn't get a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

Mr E wrote: »
    Piss poor finale. Ash is a moron.

I wouldn't be too bothered if this didn't get a second season.

Sorry it got a season 2 before season 1 started!
    Wont let me attach link on my phone

Trailer is gory as hell, so probably NSFW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yus! Really enjoyed the first season, can't wait for this :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Myrddin wrote: »
    Yus! Really enjoyed the first season, can't wait for this :)
    Felt the first season fell down in quality in the second half; simply went far to much on rails/making any sense but I'll still watch this for what it is :)

Returns tonight in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Returns tonight in the States.

Episode has been available in the usual places all week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Also on virgin on demand

Brock would've gotten confused when he saw Lucy Lawless on Spartacus.

That whole morgue scene was fun. Probably a good thing the Prince Albert didn't come into play.

• Advertisement

Well that one was quite gory.

Looked like a hell of a party and Brock had game.

All we need now is Renee O'Connor to add to the Xena reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

I ripped into the last season, but so far this has been quite good. It's a bit more whacky and more of the jokes land, with something of a splat, given so much of the humor is gore related. Watch episode 3 and you too will never use the word assh***e again either! This show makes season 7 of the walking dead look bloodless.
    The tone has lightened but now perhaps it's in danger of being too jokey and the plot still needs tightening and coherence. Too often the writing wandered into Zena Warrior Princess territory. Still, a big improvement over season 1.

They have gone for total gross out this season and it works I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Looks like season 3 will be the last due to piracy killing it, Bruce Campbell ain’t happy about it either.

“4/5 of you can kiss my ass! Oh, why did they cancel Ash vs Evil Dead? Where did that show go? Right up into the air … You know what? Hey, you slackers out there. Ash vs Evil Dead is one of the most illegally downloaded shows! Why did it get canceled? Because you are all loyal criminals.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ps3lover wrote: »
    Looks like season 3 will be the last due to piracy killing it, Bruce Campbell ain’t happy about it either.

“4/5 of you can kiss my ass! Oh, why did they cancel Ash vs Evil Dead? Where did that show go? Right up into the air … You know what? Hey, you slackers out there. Ash vs Evil Dead is one of the most illegally downloaded shows! Why did it get canceled? Because you are all loyal criminals.”
    Yea Game of Thrones which is the most pirated TV show ever is also being shut down early due to it; oh wait... Honestly if they had any brainz (pun intended) they would do it as a Kickstarter or similar; it's a niche market and always will be but the fans are also going to support them in doing it or alternatively someone like Netflix/Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Nothing justifies stealing, nothing. Would you walk into spar and take a Galaxy bar because they probably have sold enough Dairy Milks, what's one Galaxy bar? There is no justification and anyone that does it is just a scum bag, no ifs or buts, just pure scum.

Nothing justifies stealing, nothing. Would you walk into spar and take a Galaxy bar because they probably have sold enough Dairy Milks, what's one Galaxy bar? There is no justification and anyone that does it is just a scum bag, no ifs or buts, just pure scum.
    It's not theft as the original work is still there; it's copyright breach which in certain parts of the world is not even recognised as a crime by the country itself but don't let reality and facts stop you from riding around on your high horses.

Also in the wrong forum for complaining about downloading tv shows. :-) Why do you think all US pace threads. Not like we affect US ratings anyway. If I can affect ratings directly then I contribute. It's why I have a Netflix account because I support their Marvel shows and a couple others. Same with watching more local shows as they air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

obligatory:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
Advertisement