Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working part time 1 year now given no work

Options
  • 16-01-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi the situation as it stands is ive been working in a retail store for the past year. I booked holidays off months in advanced for the new year as i go away management wore fine with it. I let them know i was back and ready to work 2 weeks ago, was told i would be put back on the roster and given work that week.

2 weeks later i still havent returned to work and im really stuck for cash now.

Is there anything i can do ive spoken to supervisors in the job they say they cant do anything for me that its the owners decision ( small business )

If anyone needs to more details let me know. I dont what to be doing here, im basically being left without work but told i do still have a job ?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Hi the situation as it stands is ive been working in a retail store for the past year. I booked holidays off months in advanced for the new year as i go away management wore fine with it. I let them know i was back and ready to work 2 weeks ago, was told i would be put back on the roster and given work that week.

2 weeks later i still havent returned to work and im really stuck for cash now.

Is there anything i can do ive spoken to supervisors in the job they say they cant do anything for me that its the owners decision ( small business )

If anyone needs to more details let me know. I dont what to be doing here, im basically being left without work but told i do still have a job ?:(

Have you a zero hours contract? Did you work every week in the last year or were you just rostered when they needed you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

davo10 wrote: »
    Have you a zero hours contract? Did you work every week in the last year or were you just rostered when they needed you?

Its a 0 hours contract, but I've worked every week for the last year

Its a 0 hours contract, but I've worked every week for the last year

Unfortunately that is the drawback of this type of contract for the employee, zero hours means the employer does not have to roster you for anything above zero hours ie unless they want you back, you are finished there. Your best bet is to go in and ask the owner what the story is, if he/she tells you there is no work for you, ask for your P45 and move on.

davo10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is the drawback of this type of contract for the employee, zero hours means the employer does not have to roster you for anything above zero hours ie unless they want you back, you are finished there. Your best bet is to go in and ask the owner what the story is, if he/she tells you there is no work for you, ask for your P45 and move on.

Is it legal to do this? I'm almost sure the entire team of staff are on the same contract as me?

Is it legal to do this? I'm almost sure the entire team of staff are on the same contract as me?

Yes it is perfectly legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not sure if I understand this correctly. I've worked part time for the last year between 6-60 hours a week when needed. Does this mean that even if I'm given no work I should still then be paid for 5 hours a week?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not sure if I understand this correctly. I've worked part time for the last year between 6-60 hours a week when needed. Does this mean that even if I'm given no work I should still then be paid for 5 hours a week?
    No if you have a zero hours contract then you don't get paid when you don't work, your employer is not obliged to pay you anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does your contract quote a certain number of hours? i.e. You should be available for up to 20 hours per week?

dudara wrote: »
    Does your contract quote a certain number of hours? i.e. You should be available for up to 20 hours per week?

Yes just does not state the minimum ammount of hours I should be working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Stheno wrote: »
    No if you have a zero hours contract then you don't get paid when you don't work, your employer is not obliged to pay you anything

Ahh, that's not what the info from Citizen's Information further up the page says.

However I'm not sure how many people get paid in these situations in practise, as opposed to legality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Yes just does not state the minimum ammount of hours I should be working

My understanding is that the number of hours you are required to be available for is the relevant figure.

If you are required to be available for 20 hours then you should get 25% of 20 hours (i.e. 5 hours) pay.

However, I would suggest you speak to somebody at your local Citizens Information centre for clarity.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ahh, that's not what the info from Citizen's Information further up the page says.

However I'm not sure how many people get paid in these situations in practise, as opposed to legality.

Whoops my bad, sorry OP

I think I was thinking of the UK

Advertisement