Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace draught

Options
  • 16-01-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi! We've just moved into a newly refurbished period house and it is freezing

The chimneys are really cold.

Has anyone any success with blocking them off? What did they use and where did you get them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I have done a few over the years by sealing them and then putting in a shelf it actually looks quiet well

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

How about a chimney balloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hotpotato

Would you know whether the balloon or the shelf is the best solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if its a rental just get the baloon...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Plastic sack filled with styrofoam beads, which I happened to have from some appliance delivery at the time.

Or a chimney balloon.

ETA - howevwer my final, and best, solution was to have a stove fitted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Plastic sack filled with styrofoam beads, which I happened to have from some appliance delivery at the time.
    Given that this is unconventional, one has to fear a chimney fire at minimum and potentially carbon monoxide poisoning or a house fire.

Victor wrote: »
    Given that this is unconventional, one has to fear a chimney fire at minimum and potentially carbon monoxide poisoning or a house fire.

Jaysus, NOT to be used in a fireplace that's being used for lighting fires, obviously!

Or if it wasn't obvious then apologies, but I had assumed the OP was taking about a fireplace that's not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Chimney balloons are the best option if there is no other means of ventilation in the room. In older houses, the fireplace would have been the source of ventilation.

It's probably the most hassle-free option that doesn't involve stuffing various materials up there

Was talking about not using the fireplace at all to be honest.

I've been reading about flu damp in the meantime and balloons not being that great.

The comment about a stove being the best option is now giving me food for thought.

Would a glass fronted gas fire be just as good do you know?

hotpotato wrote: »
    Was talking about not using the fireplace at all to be honest.

I've been reading about flu damp in the meantime and balloons not being that great.

The comment about a stove being the best option is now giving me food for thought.

Would a glass fronted gas fire be just as good do you know?

I was just working off the basis that you may not own.

A stove would indeed be the better bet. Glass-fronted stoves are more efficient than open-fronted gas fires. An open-fronted gas fire would be doing well to reach 65% efficiency whereas a lass-fronted stove would typically exceed 80% efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jaysus, NOT to be used in a fireplace that's being used for lighting fires, obviously!

Or if it wasn't obvious then apologies, but I had assumed the OP was taking about a fireplace that's not in use.

The problem is that someone else might start a fire. A bag of Styrofoam would be much more dangerous than a chimney balloon.

Sorry, could I just clarify that open fronted gas fire would include glass covered? I would have thought a glass fronted gas fire is closed?

hotpotato wrote: »
    Sorry, could I just clarify that open fronted gas fire would include glass covered? I would have thought a glass fronted gas fire is closed?

Glass fronted fires are closed.

Open-fronted have no glass. They look real and you can reach in and touch the fake fuel. Though I wouldn't advise doing that when there's a flame.... ;)

Victor wrote: »
    The problem is that someone else might start a fire. A bag of Styrofoam would be much more dangerous than a chimney balloon.

Well now anyone who lights a fire without first checking that there isn't a chimney balloon/birds nest/buid-up-of-soot/stray branches, never mind a bag of styrofoam, up there needs their head examined IMO. The finer details of what is blocking the chimney are sort of irrelevant at that point.

However, I have clarified that I am talking about blocking the chimney of a fireplace that IS NOT IN USE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

large piece of wood, place upright across in front of fire opening. add large stone or other heavy object to hold it upright.... That is what I do.. oh or in this room a thick curtain works well

Advertisement