Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there many Pubs that prioitise showing Rugby on TV

Options
  • 16-01-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering are there many pubs in Dublin that will prioitise showing Rugby over the Premier League or other sports in Dublin? Looking to watch the Munster match tomorrow and while it doesn't exactly clash with any game I've been curious anyway.

I know Donehy & Nesbitt will always show Rugby over other sports. I was there when they switched off the critical Chelsea V Liverpool game last year over a Munster match (I was delighted).

Any others?

Cheers,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Times have changed, Soccer used to be the dominate the Tvs in pubs and nowadays the 6 Nations/European Rugby Champions cup games are more important than Premier League matches.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd say it's down to the pub and it's regulars, if a pub has the same bunch of lads that come in every weekend to watch the soccer I doubt they'll turn on the rugby just because a couple of newbies come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

mikeym wrote: »
    Times have changed, Soccer used to be the dominate the Tvs in pubs and nowadays the 6 Nations/European Rugby Champions cup games are more important than Premier League matches.

True, Six Nations you won't have a bother but a Man U/Liverpool game often triumphs a Munster Rugby game. Maybe not Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dapos wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering are there many pubs in Dublin that will prioitise showing Rugby over the Premier League or other sports in Dublin? Looking to watch the Munster match tomorrow and while it doesn't exactly clash with any game I've been curious anyway.

I know Donehy & Nesbitt will always show Rugby over other sports. I was there when they switched off the critical Chelsea V Liverpool game last year over a Munster match (I was delighted).

Any others?

Cheers,

Many, many Southside pubs never showed soccer, always showed Rugby or something else or nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

I believe "The Bank" on Dame st prioitise Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dapos wrote: »
    Hey,

Any others?

Cheers,

Ryans on Camden street (munster only)

Sinnotts will always have a rugby screen but will have soccer screen as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

About 4 years ago I was in Galway for a stag and the pub refused to put on Ireland France in the 6 Nations cause Liverpool were playing Everton. Doesn't matter where you are, some pubs will prioritize certain sports over others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Clareman wrote: »
    About 4 years ago I was in Galway for a stag and the pub refused to put on Ireland France in the 6 Nations cause Liverpool were playing Everton. Doesn't matter where you are, some pubs will prioritize certain sports over others.

That's criminal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jw sweetmans, formalĺy known as messrs.

Theres always the woolshed as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

syklops wrote: »
    Many, many Southside pubs never showed soccer, always showed Rugby or something else or nothing.

I dunno about that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

That's criminal!

Just for the sake of debate, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Or, hop in the car (or get the 109) to Cavan town, McCauls on Bridge Street.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Royal Oak in Kilmainham, but they only open at 6. It's very much a Munster pub, too.

dregin wrote: »
    The Royal Oak in Kilmainham, but they only open at 6. It's very much a Munster pub, too.

Great pub, only around the corner from me. Was thinking about going there if weather was bad but didn't realise it was only open at 6. Small tv (and jacks!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

syklops wrote: »

Yea, this is definitely bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Whenever I was stuck for watching a Munster match (or any other rugby match) in the city I found that it would generally be on upstairs in O'Neills or down the back in Bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Just for the sake of debate, why?

I should of put a smiley in to show I was joking

But I do think the national team in any sport should get precedence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I have an exam in Griffith college dublin at 12 (going to be quick to get out for the match). Does anyone know anywhere close by that will be showing the rugby? I haven't got a clue where anything is around there but I'll find my way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I have an exam in Griffith college dublin at 12 (going to be quick to get out for the match). Does anyone know anywhere close by that will be showing the rugby? I haven't got a clue where anything is around there but I'll find my way :)

Ryans on the corner of camden prioritise munster however I dont know if they have bt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Ryans on the corner of camden prioritise munster however I dont know if they have bt.

I'll give them a try (pun intended)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I watched Cardiff v Leinster in the Pro12 the other weekend in The Waterloo, Everton v Man City was on at the same time.

I'd say most of the places along Baggot St. would show rugby.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sinnotts will show it I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

Pubs in the rugby belt of Dublin generally would prioritise rugby. Not an absolute though obviously, there's different demos out that way as well and different clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

It's funny when you are in an "Irish" pub abroad and they will show Man City v Man Utd ahead of Ireland v France in VI nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's criminal!

Last year during the HCup knock out stages for a Leinster game neither of my two locals knocked off some poxy Liverpool game for it, in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just as a means of reference, if any board member finds themselves in EDINBURGH looking for somewhere to watch a game, Teuchters on William Street (halfway between Haymarket and Princes St) will show any rugby ahead of a football game. The bar across the road was a Hearts bar so this may have necessitated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

But I do think the national team in any sport should get precedence

Its a business. What makes the most money for them gets precedence .

Or the whim of the boss. That's the joy of being the boss.

Ending up watching it on the top floor of the Duke as I was stuck for time. It was pretty quite but grand for me. Pity about result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Send a message on Facebook to The Back Page pub and they'll usually be happy to accommodate anyone who wants to see a particular match. Great pub too (up in Phibsboro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My local would prioritise rugby. That's only one put out of the 6-10 in Celbridge that would 100% though. They might in my dad's local, if it was a local watching a game (eg, one of the Aus/NZ games in the summer we went down early to watch, they kept on the main screen until it was over instead of a United game that would normally have been shown. Pissed a few soccer fans off but they stuck to their locals). Depends on their clientele, I suppose.

Advertisement