Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats too cold ?

• 16-01-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi,I was thinking of heading off for a spin but I see the temperature is 1 celcus atm and it looks like there will be frost later on,im just wondering at what temperature do people shut the door and jump on the turbo,im not bothered too much by the cold its only the safety aspect im concerned with,i have 25c tires on my steed,any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

minterno wrote: »
    Hi,I was thinking of heading off for a spin but I see the temperature is 1 celcus atm and it looks like there will be frost later on,im just wondering at what temperature do people shut the door and jump on the turbo,im not bothered too much by the cold its only the safety aspect im concerned with,i have 25c tires on my steed,any thoughts?

Air temperature below 3 degrees make ground frost likely.

It's colder than that now and plenty of moisture on roads, I'd don't expect to see much of bike over weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Anything 4 or under and I'm out.........note to self add name to wimp list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

If there is no ice I will be out. Cold helps me cycle faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

im ok with the cold to a degree,excuse the pun,just the slippery roads im thinking about

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

3 hour turbo tomorrow. Not chancing the roads

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Used to head out when it was quite a few degrees sub-zero if the roads were dry (usual test was whether ice had formed on the car windscreen). Would certainly not risk that now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If there's ice I'll pass, regardless of the temperature & windchill. No ice and I'll go.

Today's spin the temp on the Garmin never got above -2 but apart from one stretch of bohereen there was no ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Temperature can get up to 5 or 6 but roads that are shaded by trees can still be icy.

I might get a few kms in tomorrow but Sunday morning is not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Two websites I find good for weather/temperature (probably mentioned before):

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

https://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/

NRA website tells you road and air temperature and is updated quite frequently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Once it was -15C and I did not cycle only because I could not find enough suitable layers to wear. But then, I'm from Eastern Europe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

marvin80 wrote: »

nice one,i use the nra website but never came across the other one,cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

According to my Finnish work colleague, you only stop cycling at -25 as that's when the grease on the bearings in the wheel start to sieze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The live weather feed from Dublin airport can also be useful, if you live / cycle in the vicinity.......

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EIDW.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just cycled into work. It looked like it was raining when I looked out the window, but it turned into snow while I got dressed. Took it handy, so no KOM's today

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Northwave winter shoes. Feet were wet and cold this morning after my BBB overshoes bit the dust (zip failed) last week and I used my Decathlon covers (not waterproof in any way). Swiss franc has gone mad against the Euro, so by emptying what was left in my Swiss account into my Irish one, I made enough to cover the cost of the new shoes. Happy out!! (even happier when I have warm feet!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

CramCycle wrote: »
    According to my Finnish work colleague, you only stop cycling at -25 as that's when the grease on the bearings in the wheel start to sieze.

I can vouch for this. Your breath freezes on your face and eyelashes freeze as well. And the oil on the chain doesn't work like it should. -25 is my limit. But that's on a hybrid with studs. On a roadbike in Ireland I don't think id be out below 4C

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

CramCycle wrote: »

Used Spend quite a bit of time in Finland. The differnevery is they cycle in snow with proper tires. Still have grip. I'd head out in sub zero temps no problem, it's the lack of grip that would worry me. Sporadic ice is the real danger, not the cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of Northwave winter shoes. Feet were wet and cold this morning after my BBB overshoes bit the dust (zip failed) last week and I used my Decathlon covers (not waterproof in any way). Swiss franc has gone mad against the Euro, so by emptying what was left in my Swiss account into my Irish one, I made enough to cover the cost of the new shoes. Happy out!! (even happier when I have warm feet!)

Great stuff! We can expect a change to very mild and Springtime weather as soon as they are delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

aye, ya wouldn't be long gettin frost bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've used yr.no quite a bit - fairly accurate.

just had a look at the NRA site, never saw this one before - what happened to Limerick?? the west coast looks exceeding odd :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had the ice tyres on the hybrid for the first time today, though the roads up as far as the featherbeds were fine. Bloody cold though, notably the nose. Will be wearing a face scarf or balaclava next time, as descending was bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

smacl wrote: »
    Had the ice tyres on the hybrid for the first time today, though the roads up as far as the featherbeds were fine. Bloody cold though, notably the nose. Will be wearing a face scarf or balaclava next time, as descending was bitter.

The ice tyres are of limited use when there is heavy or slushy snow on the ground. Much better than normal tyres of course, but I nearly came a cropper a few times this week. It was snowing so heavily here, the ploughs couldnt keep up at all. The commute was hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

zzfh wrote: »
    aye, ya wouldn't be long gettin frost bit

http://youtu.be/O-m_BPYJG6M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If it's icy I avoid using the road bike, switch to the touring bike instead. I think the coldest I've cycled in is -14 on a mountain bike with studded tyres. Within reason you can go out in any temperature if you're prepared. Don't know what to do about frozen grease at -25 personally but then again that's not really an issue in Ireland.

All my bike is greased with low temperature aviation grease, so thats not a problem. I have had brake and gear cables freeze when the bike is left outside at work. Now if it's really cold, I'll go and bring it in for a defrost for a few hours before I ride home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Today was fine on my route (Dublin - Balbriggan - Julianstown - Ashbourne), we kept tomain roads whuich had been treated and were just careful in shaded areas. We didnt come across any ice at all.

low temperature aviation grease

Which one exactly? What is its operating temp range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

minterno wrote: »

The wife's just said 'when your balls stick to the crossbar '.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Anything from 3c and roads wet and I am out. If it is dry no problem. I used to go out in colder tempertures but came off the bike on black ice last year on the Balheary Road and it really knocked my confidence in icy conditions. It has made me much more cautious in the ice. I have no problem with the cold or rain but the road conditions are my main concern. I was cycling through flooded roads in November with no issues but ice and i think twice. I took my turbo out into the back garden and onto my deck on Friday and did my session out there. I will probably do the same tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Which one exactly? What is its operating temp range?

Molykote 33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

If it's icy I avoid using the road bike, switch to the touring bike instead.

Is it easier/safer on a touring bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Molykote 33

Great tac

Cargo door handles and the occasional bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

mp31 wrote: »
    Is it easier/safer on a touring bike?

wider tyres, lower pressure, more grip. Also my touring bike is cheap and sturdy so I'm much less precious about it than my road bike in terms of crashing it (I realise my collar bone doesn't get any more cheap or sturdy but I'm young and oblivious so that's not an issue).

Molykote 33

Service Temperature High = 180 Deg C

Service Temperature Low = -73 Deg C

Shelf Life = 1800 Days

Looks purrrfect :) Thanks!

Coldest for me was -8 in 2009 or 2010, roads frozen solid. Studded tyres though. On a road bike I'd be reluctant at lower than 4 degrees here (so could be near freezing up the hills).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

-2 this morning, my winter gloves are not as robust as they claim on their description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

I was on my studded tyres this morning for the first time in a while. they sound hilarious. I kept thinking of these guys:
    landing-header.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

I was on my studded tyres this morning for the first time in a while. they sound hilarious. I kept thinking of these guys:
    landing-header.png

they sound hilarious

I love the sound that Snow Studs make. It sounds exactly like walking on a fresh frozen snow, -10C and below. Childhood christmas memories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

That yr site is savage. Can get temps for towns and the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was enough chilly this morning - met.ie saying -6 at Dublin airport when I left the house, but somehow didn't feel as cold. Was well wrapped up with merino baselayer and windstopper soft shell jersey and gloves, so nice and toasty.

Coldest for me was -11 in the snow we had back in 2010 - used a mountain bike I had with the tyres left down a bit. Worked well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That yr site is savage. Can get temps for towns and the whole lot.
    how is it generated though? do they just pick the nearest town with an actual monitored weather station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

how is it generated though? do they just pick the nearest town with an actual monitored weather station?

That nra have a decent network of sensors that I'd imagine they use

Also met eireann and other bodies must have sensors that data can be tapped into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No. It's weather model output. Weather models use a grid of evenly spaced points and compute the likely weather at those gridpoints. When you ask for a particular town, you either get the nearest gridpoint (up to 10/20km away) or you get an average value calculated from the gridpoints surrounding your requested position.

For current values (rather than forecast), the same process applies. Observations at various stations get assimilated into the model and a 'current values' grid is generated. Then the same value-from-gridpoints method is used to produce your requested values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭nilhg

Computer generated using the ECMWF model and whatever hiresolution that the Norwegian Met Service use, possibly Hirlam

http://www.met.no/English/Weather_forecast/
    Weather data

Weather forecasts on yr.no are based on data provided by Norwegian Meteorological Institute and its international partner institutions such as European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).

Advertisement