Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8.1 Automatic repair, Help!

• 16-01-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I built a new PC a few months back, and have had very few issues with it apart from today.
    The new Windows Update seems to have corrupted something, and I'm now stuck on the Automatic Repair loop. It restarts the PC, before sending me into "Advanced Options".
    I can use the System Restore, which I want to do, as losing my files would be very frustrating, but unfortunately the AVG Free AV seems to be blocking it from working. I get an error (0x80070005).
    How can I uninstall the antivirus without actually accessing the Control Panel or windows itself?
    I mean I'm completely locked out of my own PC.....
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Please post below, really stuck here and want to get back on to finish up a few projects/ gaming sessions !
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Do you have a Windows 8 CD? If you do, boot into it and do a system restore from the CD - system restore wont affect your personal files, just any programs you've installed. If you dont, maybe try borrowing a CD or downloading a Windows 8.1 ISO from a friend's computer and burning it to USB or DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Do you have a Windows 8 CD? If you do, boot into it and do a system restore from the CD - system restore wont affect your personal files, just any programs you've installed. If you dont, maybe try borrowing a CD or downloading a Windows 8.1 ISO from a friend's computer and burning it to USB or DVD.

I ended up ringing Microsoft to see what the problem was. They were just as clueless as I was, but guided me to the page on which I could reinstall my Windows 8.1 but keep my files.
    Seems like a quite simple fix to a potentially big problem, but its annoying that it had to happen nonetheless.
    I now have some issue with validating my product key, but that's for another day lol.
    Thanks for the help anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

Godamn, after reinstalling Windows 8.1,my product key won't work to activate my Windows. It gives me an error code saying it's been blocked?
    It was working perfectly before the reinstall. I think its an OEM version of Windows (bought it off reddit, it is legit tho)
    Anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eoghan S wrote: »
    bought it off reddit, it is legit tho

I don't think those two words belong in the same sentence :p

Ring Microsoft. The automated license service will probably generate an activation sequence for you

Advertisement