Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: Laptop connected to wifi but browsers won't load....?

Options
  • 16-01-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Starting a new thread here as this is slightly related to the 'Constantly Dropping Connection' thread in the UPC form, but has now ballooned into a much bigger issue for me after I followed UPC's advice.

The problem started off with internet working mainly okay, but in the evening intermittent disconnections were occurring on both wired and wifi connections approximately every 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I have a good few logs to back this up.

After speaking to UPC reps on here I was advised to do a factory reset of the Horizon box. After doing this the wifi has become unusable.

1) PC Laptop is connected to the network via Wifi but browsers are loading blank pages and nothing is happening at all. Prior to the reboot wifi was working fine on this laptop.

2) iMac wifi connection is dropping and reconnecting every few seconds making browsing fairly difficult and anything else impossible.

3) PC Desktop plugged into the box is working okay but the disconnections are still occurring. For example between 17:19 and now there have been 15 disconnections.

I would like to try and resolve the issue with the wifi at least.
    An iPhone seems to be okay but I'm not sure how to tell if the wifi connection is dropping on that or not.

I have spoken to UPC this evening and they've advised that 'everything looks fine from their end'. The girl told me that they don't support PC issues but that I could call their PC Support helpline for €1.20 a minute to get help.

From the research I've done, and I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, what seems to be the likely cause is something to do with the IP addresses not being assigned correctly? I did get one message on the laptop that the IP address was in use by another machine. I released the IP address from the laptop but this hasn't resolved the problem. However the message hasn't appeared again.

It could also be that there is a problem with both the iMac and Laptop which were working fine before the reset, but it seems a bit of a stretch.

I've tried changing the wifi channel but this hasn't made a difference.
    I'm using the 2.4GHz band as I want to eventually set up a Chromecast once I can get the wifi working, so switching to 5GHz is not an option (as the Chromecast won't work with that).

I'm a bit fed up and would welcome any advice or suggestions from anybody who might be a bit more technical and could help me troubleshoot this. Although advised by UPC that the PC Support Line was open until 9, they aren't answering.

I'm also not very confident at this stage that they will be of much help.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

What modem are you using?
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

plug in with cat5 cable

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

dimsumss wrote: »
    plug in with cat5 cable

What model router?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Switch off both your laptop (shut it down) and the Horizon box (unplug it) and leave them off for 5 minutes.

Switch the Horizon box back on and wait about 10 minutes and then switch your laptop back on. Now try browsing again.

Are you sure you are connected to the UPC wifi? Check in your wifi settings that you aren't accidentally connecting to a neighbours wifi.

Try connecting to the UPC modems web admin interface:
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    Username: admin
    Password: admin

Let us know how all that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Hi all - thanks for all your replies.
    I've since had UPC technician out who ended up giving us a separate modem to the horizon box in the hope that the signal will be better. Since then this problem hasn't occurred again. Thanks for all the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement