Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pup retaining baby canines

• 16-01-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭

as above have a little 6 month old matese/bichon/yorkie cross at the moment she has her permanent canines well in but has still not shed her baby canines

her permanent teeth seem to be coming in well aligned is it likely she will still shed her baby ones or do you think its a trip to vets

I know this can be an issue with smaller breeds and having spoke to a vet not my usual she thinks leave well enough alone until shes about 8 months

have any one you had this issue and did it resolve itself

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yeah Jim, have seen it plenty of times.
    You can just let nature take her course, they will eventually come out when she chewing on something, or the vet can whip them out easily, maybe whilst she's being spayed if that's on the cards soon?
    They will take the teeth out before starting the spay op, to reduce the chances of infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

thanks for your reply dbb

as im not very in tune with the issues of small breeds this is an issue you rarely see in springers

hopefully as you stated above nature will take its course I do know if not corrected in time it can cause an issue with misalignment of the permanent canines but hers seem to be very well fitting groove to groove if that makes sense

I haven't even though about spaying her yet as she is not mine if you get my drift she belongs to my daughter/wife who both wanted a little dog for indoors for years as I am not allowed to have my 5 springers indoors my nose is out of joint

5 springers inside the house?
    Hmmm... You'd have a job fitting them in without thinking about getting a couple of them rehomed.

If you decide to opt for this step, I'd suggest you rehome your wife and daughter
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

DBB wrote: »
    5 springers inside the house?
    Hmmm... You'd have a job fitting them in without thinking about getting a couple of them rehomed.

If you decide to opt for this step, I'd suggest you rehome your wife and daughter
    :D

brilliant suggestion :D:D

just showed them your reply and muttered something about agreeing 100% with you

should be back from casualty sometime sunday the way its operating in limerick at the moment

Better send a bouquet to the regional for you so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe call your vet OP and see if they do free checkups? Our vet does free puppy and 6 month checks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Had a pup in for neutering this week with two retained deciduous canines... No way were they ever going to come out on their own. Not always the case, but if she is being spayed soon, do ask the vet to remove them. Even if they don't cause the adult teeth to be misaligned, they hold food debris so you get a build up of plaque.

Advertisement