Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel Weights

• 16-01-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭

Was fiddling with wheels this evening and then went a bit mad weighing various wheels. Number below, feel free to add if you know your own wheel setup weights.

---

Normal Race Wheels Setup Weight = 2445g
    Mavic Krysium Elite + Continental GP4000S + tube + skewer + Ultegra 11-25 cassette = 1487
    Planet X Model B + Schwalbe Ultremo ZLX + tube + skewer = 958

Aero Deep Section Wheelset Weight = 2729g
    Planet X 60mm Clincher + Continental GP4000S + tube + skewer + Ultegra 11-25 cassette = 1583
    Planet X 60mm Clincher + Schwalbe Ultremo ZLX + tube + skewer = 1146

Winter wheelset Weight = 3028g
    Shimano R501 + Continental Gator SKin + tube + skewer + Ultegra 11-28 cassette = 1813
    Shimano R501 + Continental GP4000S + tube + skewer = 1215

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Quick off topic question,how do you find the Ultremo ZLX tyre,as its supposed to have no puncture protection layer?? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Front: Campag Zonda + tube + Michelin Pro 4 = 1,065g

Rear: Campag Zonda + 105 5800 11-28T Cassette + tube + Michelin Pro 4 = 1,596g

Skewers included in both wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Quick off topic question,how do you find the Ultremo ZLX tyre,as its supposed to have no puncture protection layer?? Thanks

Really like it as it feels really fast. Both the ZLX tyres are fairly new so cannot judge puncture resistance yet though have used older versions of the same tyre from Schwalbe before and have not had any more punctures than normal.

Wouldn't use them in places with a lot of glass around and when rearranging tyres on wheels this time round decided to put them on only front wheels (I've had far more punctures on the rear wheels).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Campagnolo Zonda's, Continental Attack/Force, Campagnolo Chorus Cassette

Front - Wheel 650g
    Tyre - 190g
    Tube - 75g
    Skewer - 32g - (947g)

Rear - Wheel - 840g
    Cassette - 232g
    Tyre - 200g
    Tube - 100g
    Skewer - 69g - (1441g)

Total - 2.388kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

happytramp wrote: »
    Campagnolo Zonda's, Continental Attack/Force, Campagnolo Chorus Cassette

Front - Wheel 650g
    Tyre - 190g
    Tube - 75g
    Skewer - 32g - (947g)

Rear - Wheel - 840g
    Cassette - 232g
    Tyre - 200g
    Tube - 100g
    Skewer - 69g - (1441g)

Total - 2.388kg

This is quite a light setup, the Schwalbe Ultremo ZLX are 160g so further weight savings possible on it if willing to tak on extra puncture risk.

With the Zondas your weights seem to be less than currently advertised, I wonder have newer models got heavier or do they include a skewer. Anyway from what I've read they look like a great set of budget wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Note these are 29" disc wheels, my normal all-year-round setup - unless I swap tyres for a CX race or snow.

Shimano XT WH-M785 : 1825g
    Kojak 35-622 x2 : 660g
    105 12-27 cassette: 256g
    sealant: 50g
    QR x2 125g
    SM-RT67 160m rotor x2: 296g

3212g total

This may seem like a ton, but the ride is superb :) Wheels are very rigid (being designed for MTB) while tubeless 35mm Kojaks are super supple and faster than people think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

This is quite a light setup, the Schwalbe Ultremo ZLX are 160g so further weight savings possible on it if willing to tak on extra puncture risk.

With the Zondas your weights seem to be less than currently advertised, I wonder have newer models got heavier or do they include a skewer. Anyway from what I've read they look like a great set of budget wheels

They are. The Campagnolo versions are lighter and from what I read the actual weight differs slightly from year to year and from wheel to wheel. They're usually within +/- 50g of advertised weight though. (too scared of punctures to go with the ultremo's btw)

Advertisement