Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pre-clearence

Options
  • 17-01-2015 1:32am

I will be traveling to the US alone in June to stay with a friend for 2 weeks. I have a few questions about the immigration process; Will they phone my friend to check I will be staying with her? Will they want to check how much money I have for a holiday? Will 300 dollars be enough for a two week holiday? And do I need to prove that I have ties in Ireland?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post

Thanks =)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

No I don't think they will phone. I've been to the States twice and they've never rang my sister. Mind you, you still need to have your friends address and number ready, just in case.
    Nope they won;t check how much money you have. As long as you don't go with a wad of like, 10,000 in your pocket.

Can't tell you if 300dollars is enough. It depends on what you are going to do, if you are going to eat out every day. That's really a personal decision. If it was me, I'd probably take a little more but like I said, it depends what you are going to be getting up to.

No you don't need to prove you have ties to Ireland. Your passport should be enough for that. Also, don't forget to fill out your ESTA form.

Happy travelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You'll be fine.

They won't phone your friend to check that you are staying with her. But make sure you have her full address, as you need to give that as your address while in the US.

The people who get put thru the ringer, are generally the folks who are going over there for long periods of time & not a 2 week hollier. If you are going there for months, they want to know that you have the funds to support yourself and won't be a burden on the US social welfare system & that you intend to come back here.

Unless you do or say something that sets the alarm bells off, they won't ask you for proof of funds, or ties to Ireland etc etc

If you are just going for a 2 week holiday & everything with your ESTA is legit and above board, you should be fine and shouldn't come in for any over the top scrutiny.

Not sure what you mean by will $300 be enough for a 2 week holiday. No here one knows what will be enough for a holiday, as no one here knows what you plan on doing while you are on holiday, or what you plan on spending your money on. It isn't a large amount of money, so it won't give you the freedom to do or pay for an awful lot. But if you mean, will it be enough for the immigration check...well...as it is a relatively small amount of money, emphasize that you are getting full room and board from your friend and that you don't really need a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They may ask you if you have a job in Ireland - potentially to check that you are not going to work illegally in the US so be prepared to tell them what your work situation is and if you have an employee id card from your current job, bring it with you to back up your story.

As already advised, they do not expect you to wave cash a bundle of cash, it's more subtle than that. However they may ask you how much money you have for the trip and to be honest, 300 dollars isn't a huge amount of money though it depends on which part of the US you're travelling to and whether your host will be putting you up for the duration in which case you'll probably be fine.

Well, I did not expect any replies haha thanks guys. Just got approved for Esta now. I'm just paranoid and panicky about these things, so I appreciate you guys getting back to me. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP I agree with coylemj here but would add more caution. Young solo travellers with limited funds will certainly be subject to extra scrutiny. IMHO $300 is nowhere near enough for a 2 week visit to the US. Expect to be asked about your job, your earnings, savings, how close you are to your friend etc. Your previous history will count in your favour but if they form the opinion you might be intending a longer visit they will not hesitate to refer you to the embassy for further interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I've been 15+ times in the last 3 years, and I've never been asked about funds or what I'm upto. Literally why I'm going and how long I'll be there for and that's that.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I've been 15+ times in the last 3 years, and I've never been asked about funds or what I'm upto. Literally why I'm going and how long I'll be there for and that's that.

Really? That seems much easier but you can never be too careful ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fear88

Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of your trips? I am travelling to the US in 3 weeks and have been there quite a few times over the past 2 years visiting my girlfriend and am worried about gaining entry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

fear88 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of your trips? I am travelling to the US in 3 weeks and have been there quite a few times over the past 2 years visiting my girlfriend and am worried about gaining entry.

I've been 18 times in 8 years. Business and pleasure. There was perhaps once that I was asked any questions and that was in Boston. Other than that it was as boring as going through customs in any 1st world country. No one has every questioned my destination nor enquired about how much money I had.

If you've been there 'quite a few times' in the past 2 years, why are you suddenly worried about 'gaining entry'? Doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    If you've been there 'quite a few times' in the past 2 years, why are you suddenly worried about 'gaining entry'? Doesn't make sense.

coz they get suspicious
    my sister had been going back and forth for a few years until about 2 years ago they brought her into a room and interrogated her, asking why she was making so many trips, and they told her that unfless she got a working visa, she would not be allowed back into ireland if she left.

berger89 wrote: »
    coz they get suspicious
    my sister had been going back and forth for a few years until about 2 years ago they brought her into a room and interrogated her, asking why she was making so many trips, and they told her that unfless she got a working visa, she would not be allowed back into ireland if she left.

What does someone not having the correct visa to live/work in Ireland, have to do with someone going to the US on a holiday? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fear88

Thanks for your reply, they do get suspicious, but I have never overstayed or worked illegally so I should be fine.

she's was going back and forth to see her bf, but she never told them that. she always said she was going to stay with friends. then the last time, they took her into a room and questioned her, basically saying that they didn't believe her and that if she left ireland this time, they would not let her back in.

so she had to get a visa to allow her to travel back and forth to the USA hassle free (and work there) (or something along those lines)

that was few years ago. she's good now. they just thought she was up to something dodgy

anywho, OP, you should be grand., I can't imagine them asking you how much money you have or anything like that. just have the number and address go your buddy and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There must be tens of thousands of tourists arriving in the USA every day and there's no way they're going to be checking up on where everyone is staying. You'll be fine.

They'll ask why you're visiting, and for how long, and maybe where you're staying and they'll wish you a good day and send you on your way.

Dont worry at all!

and they told her that unfless she got a working visa, she would not be allowed back into ireland if she left.

That would be the Irish Immigration Officer right?

Nothing to do with the USA.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    That would be the Irish Immigration Officer right?

Nothing to do with the USA.

No it was US Immigration. At the little booth, she was taken away and interrogated by an American lady.

Thanks for your reply, they do get suspicious, but I have never overstayed or worked illegally so I should be fine.

You will be fine. Dont worry.

They're a lot more lenient than people think. And anyway they cant just take a look at you, ask a few questions and deny you. You'd be interviewed further, passed on to a superior, etc.

No it was US Immigration. At the little booth, she was taken away and interrogated by an American lady.

But the only people who decide who is or is not let into Ireland, are Irish immigration officials. You don't meet any of those when you are leaving Ireland. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You will be fine. Dont worry.

They're a lot more lenient than people think. And anyway they cant just take a look at you, ask a few questions and deny you. You'd be interviewed further, passed on to a superior, etc.

They can, It happened to my work colleagues sister. A few questions at the booth an on the next plane.

But you're right, they are pretty lenient for the most part. I'm on a visa and whenever I enter, they barely ask anything

• Advertisement

Visiting my BF! Most people are too afraid to comment for being accused of homophobia :D. Though due to work and college i'm never there longer than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

OP make sure you bring a copy of your return itinerary too. They'll want proof that you're leaving the country.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    OP make sure you bring a copy of your return itinerary too. They'll want proof that you're leaving the country.

Do they not already know that? I thought the TSA / Homeland Security (whoever it is) automatically collected that information from the airlines now?

Thanks I will =)

Do they not already know that? I thought the TSA / Homeland Security (whoever it is) automatically collected that information from the airlines now?

Unless this is new, I don't think so. It also would seem like a difficult thing to do. Having DHS communicating with multiple airlines for passengers who easily make last minute changes and probably fly in and out with different airlines.

Every time I've entered the country on the ESTA or a summer J1 visa I have been asked for my return itinerary.

Every time I've entered the country on the ESTA or a summer J1 visa I have been asked for my return itinerary.

Considering the amount of information that you have to give to the US authorities before you even step on the plane it would be a huge surprise to me if the TSA officer didn't have information on your return flight.

If you've been asked every time It almost sounds like you have been flagged by the 'system' for some reason. Have you been naughty ;p
    I don't ever remember having been asked about my future travel plans except for the one occasion that I was in transit on the way to mexico.

Ponster wrote: »
    Considering the amount of information that you have to give to the US authorities before you even step on the plane it would be a huge surprise to me if the TSA officer didn't have information on your return flight.

+1 You have to supply advance passenger information (API) to the airline before you fly to the US. It's reasonable to assume that the airline passes on your passport number and details of your itinerary so that when the immigration agent brings up your data on the screen, it will include your ESTA approval and details of the flights you've booked.

I have never been asked to show proof of my itinerary, I've always assumed that the data was on the screen when I was speaking to the agent. I'd assume that if I was asked for it that it was a sign they were trying to find flaws and/or inconsistencies in my story.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 You have to supply advance passenger information (API) to the airline before you fly to the US. It's reasonable to assume that the airline passes on your passport number and details of your itinerary so that when the immigration agent brings up your data on the screen, it will include your ESTA approval and details of the flights you've booked.

I have never been asked to show proof of my itinerary, I've always assumed that the data was on the screen when I was speaking to the agent. I'd assume that if I was asked for it that it was a sign they were trying to find flaws and/or inconsistencies in my story.

Exactly. The I94 is done electronically now, because the airlines hand data over to the US authorities.

Also every time they ask how long I'll be staying (for example 5 days), I see them looking at the computer and nodding (I assume, checking I'm telling the truth). I've literally never been asked about providing a return itinerary, and I travel out there A LOT.

TBH, I think the days of assuming any kind of privacy when it comes to aviation have long gone :P.

It's settled then. lil_lisa is dodgy :)

• Advertisement

Ha, I suppose being on visa #6 they may start to think I don't want to leave :P

OP, its up to you. Personally, I prefer to have my itinerary printed for a trip for peace of mind.

Advertisement