Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pre-clearence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

I will be traveling to the US alone in June to stay with a friend for 2 weeks. I have a few questions about the immigration process; Will they phone my friend to check I will be staying with her? Will they want to check how much money I have for a holiday? Will 300 dollars be enough for a two week holiday? And do I need to prove that I have ties in Ireland?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post

Thanks =)

I've been to the US several times but never alone. It was always fine for me, they may just ask where you're staying, when are you returning to Ireland and the purpose of your journey (business or pleasure). Sometimes the homeland security person will make small talk while taking your fingerprints (what do you do for a living etc) this may be a subtle way of gaining info about you.

I'm unsure if they would ask you additional questions due to the fact that you're staying with a friend. Also, as mentioned by previous posters, I would bring more than $300. Although I know it depends on what you plan to do but I would be inclined to err on the side of caution and take some more cash if you can afford it. I would also print your return itinerary just in case. Though once you have your ESTA completed and everything filled in correctly you should be fine.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I have been to the States over 25 times both before the ESTA was introduced and afterwards. I have NEVER been questioned about my itinerary, nor asked how much cash I had. Last trip I was queried about the address I was staying at - was it an apartment or a hotel. Answer everything truthfully if asked and try and have access to additional funds like a credit or debit card and don't forget to take out travel insurance.

Advertisement