Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindstorms EV3 software on android.

Options
  • 17-01-2015 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

Right, my son got the mindstorms set for christmas and he's been doing some experimentation with it and likes it so far. But the thing is, his mum works on the computer a lot and he cannot get to it to program the robot as much as he (or i) would like.
    There is a commander app but that wont make programs. I've searched high and low but cannot find a way of programming the ev3 on android. I'd rather not have to buy another pc or laptop because money! Not to mention another jaysus device in the house that i have to keep going.
    What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

As of yet LEGO haven't released software to program EV3 on ios or android. The apps are simply to command it. You can program on the brick although it's quite limited compared to the desktop software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Yeah its a real pity. It does seem to like a faster computer. I tried it on an oldish netbook and it works but is laggy enough when i select and drag an icon. I honestly wouldn't have thought it needed so much power to run!
    The complete lack of instructions on what the various icons do is mildly annoying too. We're figuring it out though, like you would in a dark cave!

Thats the main problem with the retail version of the kit. I deal/train with the education version and the software is much better, lots of step by step guides etc. Have a search online/youtube.. lots of resources out there to teach you how to program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Thanks. I've been looking at a few alright. Theres one where i had a fifth grader walk me through a line following robot. I felt just a teensy bit stupid!

shedweller wrote: »
    Thanks. I've been looking at a few alright. Theres one where i had a fifth grader walk me through a line following robot. I felt just a teensy bit stupid!

I run workshops/camps based on Mindstorms and I learn something new at everyone I do... Some of the kids that use it are genius!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

unklerosco wrote: »
    I run workshops/camps based on Mindstorms and I learn something new at everyone I do... Some of the kids that use it are genius!

Hi,

Just got my EV3 kit shipped over.
    I'm planning in "building" my sons dedicated laptop / station where he can run his own things, but I will like to do it in a educated & logical framework and not randomly jumping trough books, videos and/or builds.

Are you running those camps near Dublin and if yes, when please !?

Thanks.

Advertisement