Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time in London

Options
  • 17-01-2015 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey folks,

I'm booking a few days away for myself and my wife in London in February to get away from the kids and just to have a meal in some nice places and do the usual touristy stuff.

We're flying into Stansted and have booked a restaurant in Knightsbridge for the 2nd night. It's all a surprise, so want to do as much homework as possible about where to stay.

I don't really have a budget for places to stay. Give or take €500 for 2 days in London, and then planning on staying somewhere closer to the airport on the last night.

Should i look for a place close to the tube because we won't have any transport? I don't mind uses buses or trains, but clueless to where everything is. I was thinking about staying in Knightsbridge/Kensington, but should i stay somewhere near London Eye, Museums, pubs, etc and just taxi to the restaurant?

Is there anywhere i should avoid staying or travelling to? Thats my main issue. I heard south of the Thames is a little rough, and i'd rather go for a stroll with peace of mind which is why i was thinking staying in Knightsbridge or something.

Any general advice would be great. If this topic has been done to death, then i apologise and a link to past threads would be great. Thanks again.

CUK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've never stayed in a hotel in London so can't give any recommendations but Knightsbridge is probably the most expensive place in the city so I'd definitely look further afield. London is extremely easy to get around, you're rarely more than a 5-10 minute walk from a tube station. All attractions are within easy reach of the tube as well so I wouldn't worry too much about where to stay as long as you're reasonably central.

Also Stansted is a long way out, what time is your flight home at? If not too early it might be better to stay close to Liverpool Street and get the train in the morning to make better use of your time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What restaurant?

Advertisement