Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game week 22 Match day Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Should be 45 after bonus points.
    Captain Kun to come along with Sanchez and Seamie.

Ivanovic turning out to be a very nice differential, hope it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Longterm, I wouldn't worry about about anyone who captained Costa for two reasons...

1) He is a horrible captain choice so it was a bad move unless...
    2) They have no better captain choice which means their team is bad

Really going to have to disagree with this.
    Why was he a 'horrible choice'??
    It was a wide open captaincy week.
    Kane, Aguero, Costa, Hazard, Sanchez, Silva and even Downing were all viable options.
    I had all of the above but choose Costa because at the end of the day strikers are on the pitch to score goals. It's also horses for courses a lot of the time and he already pummelled Swansea earier this season

Anyway
    Hopefully the Costa haul will push me a good bit closer to the top 10,000. A quiet day from Aguero tomorrow would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Markx

jimmii wrote: »
    You can't really compare the two like that in fairness. Home to Newcastle with no Aguero vs a week when they are away to Swansea and Aguero is expected to start are very different.

I would say picking a player who has played 25 minutes in 6 weeks and is playing one of the better teams in the division is a strange choice. I don't say its a bad choice as we won't know that until 6pm tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Dempsey wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with Aguero

Of course it is. Obviously doesn't change Costas points expectation but how good a captain pick you feel Costa was is based on how well you think his points expectation matches up against the alternative.

Markx wrote: »
    I would say picking a player who has played 25 minutes in 6 weeks and is playing one of the better teams in the division is a strange choice. I don't say its a bad choice as we won't know that until 6pm tomorrow....

Yeh I agree I had no intentions of bring him in or captaining him but he has been widely captained looking at the numbers that why I choose to use him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

36 from 9 pre baps. Captain fail but score about 10 better than I thought when I checked the scores on livescore.

Only berty and sanch to go. If I got to 50, I'd be dead happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

. I don't say its a bad choice as we won't know that until 6pm tomorrow....

No this is just wrong.

Whether or not he scores a hat-trick or gets sent off doesn't change if it was a good choice or not.

You based your Captain choice based on information you have before the deadline, what happens afterwards can not be used to justify the decision.

PARlance wrote: »
    Should be 45 after bonus points.
    Captain Kun to come along with Sanchez and Seamie.

Ivanovic turning out to be a very nice differential, hope it continues.

Nice position to be in with captain to come! Really would like to get Ivan back in again if I can with my WC my TV is shocking bad though so doubt I will be able to stretch to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Don't agree with the bolded part, you can't judge the decision on the outcome, only on the information available to you on making the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

elia goal 1-0 southampton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Captain Costa saved me. 49 with Aguero, Alexis, Silva and Chester to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

goal saints Elia
    he looks good
    ward prowse assist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Thank you JWP. Nice little differential.

km79 wrote: »
    foal saints Elia
    he looks good
    ward prowse assist

Ah ffs was hoping Newcastle could pull off a miracle and save my week! Disaster confirmed now. Bring on the wildcard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Looks like I'll be on 48 after bonus with Silva, Bertie, Sanchez and Aguero to come

Newcastle goal please

How many others are <30? Looking like a very lonely club!

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No this is just wrong.

Whether or not he scores a hat-trick or gets sent off doesn't change if it was a good choice or not.

You based your Captain choice based on information you have before the deadline, what happens afterwards can not be used to justify the decision.

So according to this theory/logic a person could make 38 good captain decisions in a season and get 2 points each time. Another person could make 38 bad choices and get 10 points each time.

Which is the better FPL player?

Dónal wrote: »
    Newcastle goal please

Krul with a joint Colo & Dummet assist please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

He's the league's top scorer and the main striker in the team that are top of the league so to call him a horrible captain choice is a bit of an exaggeration I think.

You are looking at it in footballing terms, not FPL terms.

Playing for a team who regularly shuts up shop at 2-0, never scores bonus, rarely explodes with a burst like today. Has scored two away from home since September and rarely looks like doing so. Up against a Swansea side with a good home record.

Stand by my words. Horrible captain choice. I know it's an unpopular statement, but they are my views.

Having said all that, captaining the favourite for the last 5 gameweeks have done me nothing either :D

So according to this theory/logic a person could make 38 good captain decisions in a season and get 2 points each time. Another person could make 38 bad choices and get 10 points each time.

Yes that is true that could happen but you can't be so results orientated. If someone offers you 2/1 on heads in a coin toss and it comes out tails it doesn't make your pick bad or suggest that tails was a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

But what is tongue in cheek to one, may not be to another.

Like what is a joke (the AUSTIN) thing, may not be a joke to others.

And you'll never get rid of something, if it's ok for some to say it and defend it with "only tongue in cheek", but then another poster says it and gets shot by the masses

Whoa now. Fake goal shouts are a completely different kettle of fish slightly playing down a score. I wrote about both in my post in the feedback thread and its worth hightlighting one particular part of it
    The game can be frustrating, and sometimes on match threads posters can get frustrated with others posting about a good or bad score or the famous ‘happy enough with that’ after a good score. Collective chill pills need to be taken there lads. Its become a bit of an in joke on the forum now, embrace it

Now I believe what Nib is referring to is the below post, it an hardly be described as berating and is somewhat different as the poster genuinely believed his week to be ruined

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93790686&postcount=918

Anyway I'm certainly not getting into an argument with you about it Donal, so will leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Am I seeing things right? Says on totalfpl that Costa is not on for any bonus points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Need Elia to save this disaster of a week for me.

Am I seeing things right? Says on totalfpl that Costa is not on for any bonus points?

Yeh does seem crazy alright! Only so long until Jose says that FPL treat Costa differently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It's a mistake, he's getting the three with about 20 BPS to spare.

It's a mistake, he's getting the three with about 20 BPS to spare.

Didn't realise that! Amazing how TFPL has completely lost it this season.

The points for the chelsea team including bonus
    DKF8zGD.jpg

newcastle 1-1

Yes, Newcastle goal gouffran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Newcastle goal!

gouffran goal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Adios Southampton cleanies :cool:

Tell me its a Dummet & Colo joint assist11

jimmii wrote: »
    Yes that is true.

OK fair enough. Glad i made a bad decision this week anyhow :)
    I'll be bricking it over Aguero tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Have nobody playing in this match, that Newcastle goal was some boost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

only good thing that's happened for me today - saints conceding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Jesus what a horrible way to lose a clean sheet

OK fair enough. Glad i made a bad decision this week anyhow :)
    I'll be bricking it over Aguero tomorrow :(

Definitely better to be lucky than good! In FPL the differences are only marginal and 38 gameweeks isn't enough for the long term effect to play out so much. Nice pick this week though fair play wish I had done the same!!

Newcastle goal please

You're all welcome

• Advertisement

Playing for a team who regularly shuts up shop at 2-0, never scores bonus, rarely explodes with a burst like today. Has scored two away from home since September and rarely looks like doing so. Up against a Swansea side with a good home record.

Stand by my words. Horrible captain choice. I know it's an unpopular statement, but they are my views.

Having said all that, captaining the favourite for the last 5 gameweeks have done me nothing either :D

I don't accept much of that to be honest. He plays for a team which has scored 15 more goals than anybody except city (6 more than them), he has now scored 17 goals this year. He has a respectable 11 bonus before today.
    AND he has already scored a hat trick against the same defence.

You are wrong on this one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Newcastle goal please
    You're all welcome

Well if that's how it works, could you put in a request for maybe a brace from Colback?! Cheers :)

Well if that's how it works, could you put in a request for maybe a brace from Colback?! Cheers :)

Nope, but a second for Newcastle would be great. Plus tonight's lotto numbers too!

the player making the good captain choices will preform better over a number of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Footballing terms/fpl terms...the two are surely intertwined? Goals=points and playing in a better team means the likelihood of scoring is increased. Captaining Costa is a horrible decision but captaining Aguero isn't? We all know how good he is but he has only had 20 minutes competitive football, has a history of breaking down after returning from injury and may not even start the game. Don't see how he was a better choice than Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

the player making the good captain choices will preform better over a number of seasons.

LOL, If I was convinced my logic was sound but couldnt get a single captain choice right over the course of an entire season I wouldnt be playing for much longer! :pac:

Seriously though, thats some pie in the sky logic tbh

I don't accept much of that to be honest. He plays for a team which has scored 15 more goals than anybody except city (6 more than them), he has now scored 17 goals this year. He has a respectable 11 bonus before today.
    AND he has already scored a hat trick against the same defence.

You are wrong on this one I'm afraid.

As I said, I don't expect many to agree. It really depends on the type of captain you are happy with. If you want something from your captain every week, then Costa is a great bet. He'll get a goal most times, but will rarely explode and will rarely get any bonus. Should get you a decent 6 points.

I don't like captains like that. I avoid them. I like the captain choice that could explode with goals and assists when up against a weak team at home. Costa is not that player. Not by a long shot.

Apart from today and the WHU game a few weeks back, he has had very poor returns as a captain choice since September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

43 with Silva, Sanchez and Clichy left to play.

It'll be an okay week but could have been so much better. Had Costa as VC

Footballing terms/fpl terms...the two are surely intertwined? Goals=points and playing in a better team means the likelihood of scoring is increased. Captaining Costa is a horrible decision but captaining Aguero isn't? We all know how good he is but he has only had 20 minutes competitive football, has a history of breaking down after returning from injury and may not even start the game. Don't see how he was a better choice than Costa.

To some degree they are intertwined, but in others they are not.

He is a good player to have in FPL because he trickles points every week in the same way Fabregas (another good pick) does.

However, every week he would easily be third or fourth choice as my captain if he was in there for someone like Austin.

Look at the FFS poll. 7.5% of the vote. That's also based on the fact that 60% have him.

Look at the boards.ie poll...9%.

Most plumped for Kane or Aguero. I think, given their respective fixtures, they are better captain choices.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    LOL, If I was convinced my logic was sound but couldnt get a single captain choice right over the course of an entire season I wouldnt be playing for much longer! :pac:

Seriously though, thats some pie in the sky logic tbh

The same good players don't come in the top 5k year after year because they get lucky with their captain choices, it's because they make the right choice more often than not.

There's a link in one of the other threads whereby you can see the return you have gotten from your captain, and what you could have gotten had you picked the highest scoring player each week. Difference could be huge but in reality you would never pick certain players.

Advertisement