Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banana plants

• 17-01-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm thinking of investing in a banana plant this year. Had anyone got one, or had any experience with them? We are in dublin, near coast. Any tips? Or any suggestions of best places to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

I'm thinking of investing in a banana plant this year. Had anyone got one, or had any experience with them? We are in dublin, near coast. Any tips? Or any suggestions of best places to buy?

Definitely get one, they are great for foliage and add an exotic look to the garden. In hard winter cut off leaves and move into shelter, replant in spring. They are hungry plants.Tully's nurseries had them last year.won't have a great choice, prob just musa basjoo, also look up ENSETE, same family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I grew some from seed. I first kept them 1 year in the poly tunnel and over wintered indoors. This is my tree year 3. It used to stop the traffic. Once the miserable summers came back it declined . I fed it chicken manure. I don't know if I have the courage to start again, as in the end, I had it planted in an oilddrum and it took a lot of strength to bring it in in the winter.
    lovely plant and it gives an instant tropical feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ladybirdbaby1

That is stunning!! What kind of banana is that? So it's advisable to plant in a container, as you have to bring it indoors? I don't have a green house, so it will have to come indoors

I grew some from seed. I first kept them 1 year in the poly tunnel and over wintered indoors. This is my tree year 3. It used to stop the traffic. Once the miserable summers came back it declined . I fed it chicken manure. I don't know if I have the courage to start again, as in the end, I had it planted in an oilddrum and it took a lot of strength to bring it in in the winter.

Also, you mentioned Tullys, where would you suggest buying one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

That is stunning!! What kind of banana is that? So it's advisable to plant in a container, as you have to bring it indoors? I don't have a green house, so it will have to come indoors

I think it was a Musa Basjoo. I also added a lot of cocoahusk to the compost but I think that's not available any more. My garden is a cold one and the ground is pretty wet in a bad year so I don't think it would over winter planted outside, I even struggle with Dahlia's. Having it in a tub means you can move it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Musa basjoo here. I'm in the south, very sheltered. I don't take it in. Wrap it in a heavy sack over winter. Leaves go black and die back alright, but it comes on again.

I bought it based on the tag actually... it said "Produces sadly inedible bananas".

Was dying to know what a Sadly Inedible Banana looked like. No sign yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great pic, I instantly decided my garden needs one of these! I'm by the coast here so dont get much frosts so hopefully it will be OK.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I had a laugh at sadly inedible bananas! So where did you buy that one? I looked on Tullys and didn't see them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any idea how long banana seeds would be viable for? I found a pack that I got as a present about 8 years ago and was wondering if I'd be wasting my time planting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sure give them a go, looks like they are hard enough to grow at the best of times anyhow, nothing ventured nothing gained.
    I've ordered Musa sikkimensis Red Tiger seeds on ebay and am anxiously waiting to give them a go. I' m waiting until March for a Musa Basjoo plug too in case the seeds are not successful.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement