Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common problems /weak spots on classics

• 17-01-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Apart from rust, which is usually visible to some degree, we all know of 'commom problems' that beset any car, be it newer or classic.:(

I'm just reading about a DB5,leaking p/s rack is common and to get the valves set will set you back €1000 :eek:

As for Rollers - http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rolls_info.asp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

The DB5 was never available with power steering.
    It became an option with the DB6.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Fiat twincam 8 valve setting valve clearences, these are shimmed special tools & box of different shim sizes needed expensive !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭ben9195

If my memory serves me right Triumph Heralds and Vitesses also needed shims,a vernier gauge and a feeler gauge to adjust the valve clearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Fiat twincam 8 valve setting valve clearences, these are shimmed special tools & box of different shim sizes needed expensive !!

This might be an issue now, with unavailability of parts or the knowledge to do the work. But at the time it was not a big deal. The engines ran very well with proper servicing and rarely need shims to be changed. And even if they did, it was quite a simple job. It was hardly a 'common fault', no different than changing a set of points. Dealerships of the time would have had a stock of shims in the workshop, and usually just swapped shims as needed. Old worn shims were still just as useful as new ones.
    The problem was more with the 'bucket' the shim sat in, which, over time would develop a 'high spot' from the tip of the valve.
    A more expensive option was when they replaced the shims with hydraulic tappets, which made more noise, and were more expensive to replace when failure occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

The Imp had shims which were a complete pain in the h**e to get right. I think it was the Leyland E6 engine which had shims of similar diameter but needed a lick on a surface grinder as they were way too thick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Shims have become expensive to buy. The last set I bought were approx £3 Sterling each.

As mentoned early on in the link in the original post, the Rolls Royce problems, the huge problem with these cars is owner neglect.

I feel that all Rolls Royces built until the Silver Cloud were very well built cars.
    With the introduction of the Silver Shadow, whilst very technically advanced for its time, led to lots of problems down the road with its brake/suspension set up that owners were not prepared to pay to have put right properly.
    The Shadows were also plagued with electric problems of all types.

Having said all that, there is nothing better to drive than a properly sorted one.

Advertisement