Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it right to malign the deceased?

Options
  • 17-01-2015 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What do you think? Lots of people have opinions on lots of things - we hear gossip and form an opinion (usually a wrong one) about an individual or we read newspapers and form an opinion about a person in a story. Of course it is a well known fact that a newspaper will NEVER misrepresent the truth or only tell half a story to make their report much more dramatic.

So my question is . . . Is it right to read a newspaper story about someone's death and feel free to describe the deceased in very abusive and downright disgusting terms withour having all the facts and without ever having met that person. NO IT ISN'T!!!

SEE THE THREAD
    Man dies after getting head stuck in patio door

These comments cause extreme hurt to the family and simply make a near unbearable situation intolerable.

So readers, any comments or opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Have you been waiting over four years to make your debut thread and this is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't believe in this thing of "not speaking ill of the dead... er, just cause!" no

Just cause someone died doesn't change anything about what they were in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Are you a Devil worshiper Gerri?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

The dead cant defend themselves.

Eh,....zombies!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Gerri666 wrote: »
    So readers, any comments or opinions on this?
    If someone climbs a mountain and dies then they deserve ridicule for deliberately risking their life and losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The have greater symptoms to worry about than gossip though?

Be a good person and chances are you need not concern yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Boo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Zambia wrote: »
    The have greater symptoms to worry about than gossip though?

I dont know never had a conversation with a dead person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I remember when Charlie Haughey died.
    Everyone was suddenly very sympathetic. "Oh shur if you were in his situation you'd have done the same" "Oh but he did great things for his constituents".
    He was a thieving scumbag the day before he died and some kind of cute hoor chancer the next day.

That said I dont agree with the likes of the Darwin awards etc. People make mistakes and or absent mindedly do silly things and sometimes they die because of it. Those deaths should be treated as tragedies and not ridiculed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If you were a cúnt when you were alive you'll still be a cúnt when you're dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gerri666

Just out of interest. . . does anyone who replied to my post actually know Eoin personally????

And please refrain from making personal comments about me, I have not made any personal comments about you. But feel free to comment about the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

kfallon wrote: »
    If you were a cúnt when you were alive you'll still be a cúnt when you're dead

^^^^
    This. Sick of hearing people say nice things about scumbags when they die. Sure remember the response of those knuckle-draggers two years ago who stole a taxi on O'Connell Street and crashed and died. Not an ounce of sympathy from me, but some people still say don't disrespect the dead??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Sure remember the response of those knuckle-draggers two years ago who stole a taxi on O'Connell Street and crashed and died. Not an ounce of sympathy from me, but some people still say don't disrespect the dead??? :confused:

rip, cant stop cryin so sad, heavans got a new angle now sleep tight hun luv u xx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I always thought the whole 'not speaking ill of the dead' was more to do with respect for the grieving family and friends. So in a small Irish town, it is likely that any slander/gossip would get back to the dead persons family.

Most Irish people bitch a lot, meaning a person can't defend themselves either it's no different to speaking ill of the dead.

One thing I hate in Irish society is the glorification of people who die. Somebody could've been a violent dog rapist but once they die, it's all 'Jaysus they had a tough life' and 'ah sure there was no harm in really' when that person may have been an absolute bóllocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

thelad95 wrote: »
    One thing I hate in Irish society is the glorification of people who die. Somebody could've been a violent dog rapist but once they die, it's all 'Jaysus they had a tough life' and 'ah sure there was no harm in really' when that person may have been an absolute bóllocks.

"I'll say one thing about him... he was very fond of animals."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

fiachr_a wrote: »
    If someone climbs a mountain and dies then they deserve ridicule for deliberately risking their life and losing.

Or maybe admiration, for having the balls to push themselves.

Still no-one who knew Eoin personally? Just those who read misrepresented facts in the papers and feel free to form biased opinions.

Find out all the facts before you make up your mind. Lets speak hypothetically, say there is a durg dealer in town and he offers free drugs to kids to get them hooked. Lets say one of these kids gets a bit older and although he is legally now an adult he would be wat you call 'a bit naive'. This lad goes into rehab and cleans himself up. Meanwhile the dealer is still dishing out the drugs. Then the lad comes home and decides that he can't sit back and see more kids become addicts like he was. So anytime he sees the dealer outside the schools or at a playground handing out his drugs this lad goes for him and runs him off. The dealer than reports the lad to the Gardi and the lad is arrested. This situation goes on continually and the lad is arrested many times but is never sent to prison because of the circumstances.

The dealer is cunning enough to never end up in the dock himself. He is manipulative enough to make sure that he controls through fear so that no-one will tell on him. Now the lad is dead and the dealer is still living in the town. If we had more people like Eoin the world would be a better place.

He had a huge turnout for his funeral - most of his local area was there. Does that sound like a criminal to you? No-one who knew him has a bad word to say about him? Plenty of people thought the world of him and will tell you that he was one person who wasn't afraid to stand up for right even if he did end up in trouble for doing so.

Still no-one who knew Eoin personally? Just those who read misrepresented facts in the papers and feel free to form biased opinions.

Find out all the facts before you make up your mind. Lets speak hypothetically, say there is a durg dealer in town and he offers free drugs to kids to get them hooked. Lets say one of these kids gets a bit older and although he is legally now an adult he would be wat you call 'a bit naive'. This lad goes into rehab and cleans himself up. Meanwhile the dealer is still dishing out the drugs. Then the lad comes home and decides that he can't sit back and see more kids become addicts like he was. So anytime he sees the dealer outside the schools or at a playground handing out his drugs this lad goes for him and runs him off. The dealer than reports the lad to the Gardi and the lad is arrested. This situation goes on continually and the lad is arrested many times but is never sent to prison because of the circumstances.

The dealer is cunning enough to never end up in the dock himself. He is manipulative enough to make sure that he controls through fear so that no-one will tell on him. Now the lad is dead and the dealer is still living in the town. If we had more people like Eoin the world would be a better place.

He had a huge turnout for his funeral - most of his local area was there. Does that sound like a criminal to you? No-one who knew him has a bad word to say about him? Plenty of people thought the world of him and will tell you that he was one person who wasn't afraid to stand up for right even if he did end up in trouble for doing so.

er .. what?

I'm not sure where you're going with your analogy, but no, I have no idea who "Eoin" was nor does anyone in this thread I'd imagine.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make but the question was "is it right to malign the deceased" - answer in my opinion is that if they deserved it in life then yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

lovely fella eh?

DUNLEER man, Eoin Carney who assaulted and robbed a worker after jumping in front of his car has been given nine sentences totaling 12 months at Drogheda District Court.

Judge Flann Brennan said the attack on the man who had been driving from his home in Highlands down the Rathmullen Road at 6am on May 28th, 2011 was 'horrifying'.

Carney, who has 31 previous convictions, ran out in the road and stopped the car. He put his two hands on the bonnet and demanded a lift from the driver. When he got out to speak to him, Carney started to punch him in the face and also on the back of the head.

While he was trying to get the victim's phone and car keys, efforts were made by Carney's friends to try and stop him.

The victim was taken by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital suffering from shock and bleeding from his face and head. He was later discharged from hospital and is making a good recovery, the court was told.

A local resident who saw the commotion, called the gardai and they arrested Carney.

As well as being charged with assault causing harm and attempted robbery on May 28th, 2011, Carney, 53 Beechwood Drive, Dunleer, was also charged with unauthorised carriage in an MPV at Trinity Street on June 15th.

He was also charged with unlawful possession of drugs at Watery Hill on June 1st, 2011 at Watery Hill.

He was also appeared in relation to a number of charges in Dunleer on February 9th and 10th, 2011. These included making off without payment from Spar, criminal damage at Main Street Dunleer, assault, assault causing harm, and obstructing a peace officer at Beechwood Drive, Dunleer.

There was a further assault charge in Dunleer on June 13th, 2011.

Speaking before he handed down the nine convictions which ranged from six months to a year, Judge Flann Brennan said these were 'a catalogue of offences'. He said he should serve 12 months 'not a day less' and described the Rathmullen attack as 'particularly horrifying'.

Referring to the Dunleer incidents, the judge said: ' These are appalling offences which include assaults on guards.'

Carney's solicitor, Paul Moore said that his client has a drink problem. Judge Brennan pointed out that many people drink and appear in court on public order offences. 'But what your client has done falls into a totally different category,' he added.

• Advertisement

anplaya27 wrote: »
    lovely fella eh?

DUNLEER man, Eoin Carney who assaulted and robbed a worker after jumping in front of his car has been given nine sentences totaling 12 months at Drogheda District Court.

Judge Flann Brennan said the attack on the man who had been driving from his home in Highlands down the Rathmullen Road at 6am on May 28th, 2011 was 'horrifying'.

Carney, who has 31 previous convictions, ran out in the road and stopped the car. He put his two hands on the bonnet and demanded a lift from the driver. When he got out to speak to him, Carney started to punch him in the face and also on the back of the head.

While he was trying to get the victim's phone and car keys, efforts were made by Carney's friends to try and stop him.

The victim was taken by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital suffering from shock and bleeding from his face and head. He was later discharged from hospital and is making a good recovery, the court was told.

A local resident who saw the commotion, called the gardai and they arrested Carney.

As well as being charged with assault causing harm and attempted robbery on May 28th, 2011, Carney, 53 Beechwood Drive, Dunleer, was also charged with unauthorised carriage in an MPV at Trinity Street on June 15th.

He was also charged with unlawful possession of drugs at Watery Hill on June 1st, 2011 at Watery Hill.

He was also appeared in relation to a number of charges in Dunleer on February 9th and 10th, 2011. These included making off without payment from Spar, criminal damage at Main Street Dunleer, assault, assault causing harm, and obstructing a peace officer at Beechwood Drive, Dunleer.

There was a further assault charge in Dunleer on June 13th, 2011.

Speaking before he handed down the nine convictions which ranged from six months to a year, Judge Flann Brennan said these were 'a catalogue of offences'. He said he should serve 12 months 'not a day less' and described the Rathmullen attack as 'particularly horrifying'.

Referring to the Dunleer incidents, the judge said: ' These are appalling offences which include assaults on guards.'

Carney's solicitor, Paul Moore said that his client has a drink problem. Judge Brennan pointed out that many people drink and appear in court on public order offences. 'But what your client has done falls into a totally different category,' he added.

That answers that then!

Find out all the facts before you make up your mind. Lets speak hypothetically

Huh, that sentence makes sense! :rolleyes:

Ok....so I take it you knew this guy personally and don't like the content of the other thread?

You gave us a "hypothetical" analogy to try and change peoples views on a person they never met. The only information most of us have here is from the media or on thread information. Why does your "hypothetical" story carry more weight than media reports or other facts.

He may have been a really nice guy, I don't know. All I know is he had 50 previous convictions and died breaking into a house. Yeah it was his friends house and yes people gave the same stereotypical 1 sentence narrative about the guy.

Have you got in depth knowledge of everything you have commented on in the past? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That answers that then!

Doesn't answer how he got stuck in the patio door, which is all I'm really interested in.

I can't say anything that isn't already public knowledge as there is an ongoing investigation.

I knew Eoin well for years. My husband has known him from the day he was born and we both live in Dunleer. We have a family and I spent many a day with them at the local playground and have seen the dealer there and at the school. I was more than happy that someone like Eoin took it upon himself to keep that man away from children.

His mum is devestated and nasty and cruel comments made so publically are only causing her more hurt.

A newspaper will only report what they see on the surface. I will agree that in nearly all cases the person is as they are represented in the papers and, until now, I woas one of those people who will read a story and think that the world is a better place without that person. But I now see that the way in which a person is shown by the media is not alway true and it certainly isn't in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

His mum is devestated and nasty and cruel comments made so publically are only causing her more hurt.

How are his victims getting on with their recoveries?

I can't say anything that isn't already public knowledge as there is an ongoing investigation.

I knew Eoin well for years. My husband has known him from the day he was born and we both live in Dunleer. We have a family and I spent many a day with them at the local playground and have seen the dealer there and at the school. I was more than happy that someone like Eoin took it upon himself to keep that man away from children.

A newspaper will only report what they see on the surface. I will agree that in nearly all cases the person is as they are represented in the papers and, until now, I woas one of those people who will read a story and think that the world is a better place without that person. But I now see that the way in which a person is shown by the media is not alway true and it certainly isn't in this case.

He was also charged with unlawful possession of drugs at Watery Hill on June 1st, 2011 at Watery Hill

maybe cause the other dealer was cutting into his profit?

He was also charged with unlawful possession of drugs at Watery Hill on June 1st, 2011 at Watery Hill

maybe cause the other dealer was cutting into his profit so he ran him off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

What did he work at if you don't mind me asking?:rolleyes:

As it happens, a deceased family member of mine will be back in the headlines very soon as a result of a court case. I'm sure there will be disparaging comments about him. In fairness now it would be difficult to defend him from most of the comments, as much as it might upset me. I'm afraid you're just gonna have to take it on the chin.

While I am sorry for your loss, on one hand you knew they guy in his good light, most people have a good side but they also have a bad side. His good traits don't cancel out 50 previous convictions. That's 50 convictions, I'm sure some were minor but I'm sure he got away with a lot of other stuff too.

Is it true he had so many convictions or are you trying to say he was a model citizen who bravely confronted the evils in society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

So what do you have to say about all his convictions then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement