Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it right to malign the deceased?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

@Gerri666

Gerri take off the blinkers. The facts speak for themselves. With 31+ convictions, Eoin was no upstanding member of society. He would have been unlikely to change his ways if he lived and continued to rack up the convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

All i have to say is.......

Where is this other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

First off Gerri,I'm sorry for your loss.However,as a poster above mentioned you need to ditch the blinkers. Do you honestly believe, or expect me to believe that this chap spent his time hanging around playgrounds chasing drug dealers away from kids?if you actually believe that then you are deluding yourself.No drug dealer worth his salt would hang around in a playground to find punters,hypotheticly or otherwise.That's an old myth started by the concerned parents against drugs movement in the 80s.
    I suspect you are much closer to the case than you are letting on.If that is indeed the case,I would suggest that you get on to a mod and wind up this thread.
    Noble idea as it is that you want to let it be known that this youngfella had a decent side to him,as I'm sure he did,its a very misguided idea.Coming on to a public forum with stories like that will ultimately only make things worse for yourself,and it will certainly make things worse for his family,because people will speak their minds,and you won't like what you hear.
    I have expierience in this situation,so please dont think im being preachy toward you.I have many friends who have met with untimely deaths,three friends were murdered in seperate incidents in 2014 alone,so i get you.In each case, 'well meaning friends' put tributes up on facebook and stuff but they serve no purpose other than dragging out the grieving process.
    The chap is dead,the media have had their pound of flesh,let his family mourn with dignity.
    Again,genuinely sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The dead cant defend themselves.

but neither can they be harmed.
    FalconGirl wrote: »
    @Gerri666

Gerri take off the blinkers. The facts speak for themselves. With 31+ convictions, Eoin was no upstanding member of society. He would have been unlikely to change his ways if he lived and continued to rack up the convictions.

Depends. Most criminals do wise up eventually around the age of 25-35.

However the Mirror said his number of convictions was north of 50 by the time of his death.
    One thing I hate in Irish society is the glorification of people who die. Somebody could've been a violent dog rapist but once they die, it's all 'Jaysus they had a tough life' and 'ah sure there was no harm in really' when that person may have been an absolute bóllocks.
    Maybe the presence of death makes us reflect a bit on the tininess of our existence.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The dead cant defend themselves.

From what?
    Criticism? Neither can the living if they are deserving of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

30+ convictions.
    Slow learner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dying doesn't remove all of your actions from the world, if you were a **** to people when you were alive why would anyone think differently when you die?
    anplaya27 wrote: »
    lovely fella eh?

DUNLEER man, Eoin Carney who assaulted and robbed a worker after jumping in front of his car has been given nine sentences totaling 12 months at Drogheda District Court.

Judge Flann Brennan said the attack on the man who had been driving from his home in Highlands down the Rathmullen Road at 6am on May 28th, 2011 was 'horrifying'.

Carney, who has 31 previous convictions, ran out in the road and stopped the car. He put his two hands on the bonnet and demanded a lift from the driver. When he got out to speak to him, Carney started to punch him in the face and also on the back of the head.

While he was trying to get the victim's phone and car keys, efforts were made by Carney's friends to try and stop him.

The victim was taken by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital suffering from shock and bleeding from his face and head. He was later discharged from hospital and is making a good recovery, the court was told.

A local resident who saw the commotion, called the gardai and they arrested Carney.

As well as being charged with assault causing harm and attempted robbery on May 28th, 2011, Carney, 53 Beechwood Drive, Dunleer, was also charged with unauthorised carriage in an MPV at Trinity Street on June 15th.

He was also charged with unlawful possession of drugs at Watery Hill on June 1st, 2011 at Watery Hill.

He was also appeared in relation to a number of charges in Dunleer on February 9th and 10th, 2011. These included making off without payment from Spar, criminal damage at Main Street Dunleer, assault, assault causing harm, and obstructing a peace officer at Beechwood Drive, Dunleer.

There was a further assault charge in Dunleer on June 13th, 2011.

Speaking before he handed down the nine convictions which ranged from six months to a year, Judge Flann Brennan said these were 'a catalogue of offences'. He said he should serve 12 months 'not a day less' and described the Rathmullen attack as 'particularly horrifying'.

Referring to the Dunleer incidents, the judge said: ' These are appalling offences which include assaults on guards.'

Carney's solicitor, Paul Moore said that his client has a drink problem. Judge Brennan pointed out that many people drink and appear in court on public order offences. 'But what your client has done falls into a totally different category,' he added.

He was really a lovely fella. Completely harmless. Just had a bit of a problem with drink, few pints and he would beat you for the euro from the trolley but we've all made mistakes. /s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

http://www.evoke.ie/news/man-found-dead-in-co-louth-eoin-carney-dies-in-freak-accident/

I see he was trying to lift the patio door out to break into his "friend's" house in the middle of the night when this happened. Because he got locked out of his own.

An obvious course of action, of course. As opposed to just ... ringing the doorbell, or phoning his friend. Or phoning another friend or family member to see if they were home.

Nope, it would be totally normal to attempt to break in. (Something he has practice with.) But no, I'm sure it was totally innocent this time.

Gerri666 wrote: »
    But I now see that the way in which a person is shown by the media is not alway true and it certainly isn't in this case.
    Are the media making up all the reports of his many and various criminal convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

This is just turning into a discussion about an individual and won't end well. OP, if you have a problem with another thread, please report the posts and a mod will take a look.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement