Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel shaving stick

Options
  • 17-01-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Can I have a recommendation for a good shaving soap stick that comes in a recapable container?

I find the Arko very good and convenient but it's messy to keep in the travel toilet kit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

La Toja is excellent but a bit more expensive than other shave sticks.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/la-toja-shaving-soap-stick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I like the Spanish soap sticks.
    This is also well worth a try
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/lea-shaving-soap-stick.html

The manufacturer actually listened to feedback from Spanish traditional shavers a couple of years back and improved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Thanks folks. I'll get both of those those.
    Hard to go wrong for just a few euro really, especially when you consider the dismal price/performance of soaps like Penhaligon.
    After a bit less than two years of trial I'm of the opinion that tallow bases soaps have the edge.

I believe the reformulated Lea includes tallow now - one of the changes they made.
    Both soaps are good and cheap as hell if you can pick up in Spain.

Don't forget our own Palmolive soap stick. Not a fancy scent but a solid performer.
    (No travel container with it but I use an old Boots soap stick case).

Speick soap stick another one that performs well for me but no container.

Valobra shave stick is supposed to be amazing. It's tallow based but it is 12 quid.

• Advertisement

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Valobra shave stick is supposed to be amazing. It's tallow based but it is 12 quid.

Well, I've ordered them all - the Valobra, Lea and La Toja. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Rosahane wrote: »
    Well, I've ordered them all - the Valobra, Lea and La Toja. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Well, I've used them each once.
    The Valobra is very impressive, great cushion and lather. The La Toja. is pretty good also. The Lea is OK but not quite as slick as the other two, pretty much the same as Palmolive.
    I used a Vosktok blade with the Valobra, I expect that it will be even better with my usual Polsilver Iridium which I used with the other two.
    Only downside is that the Valobra comes wrapped in tissue paper in a cardboard box while the other two have plastic cases - which is what I want.
    The Valobra stick is also thicker than the others so won't retrofit into one of the cases.
    So, the La Toja gets the recommendation.

If you like the la toja soap, their sensitive cream is also worth a try.

You could just pare down the Valobra stick so it fits into one of the other cases. Bit of a hassle but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. It may not be worth it if it isn't much better than La Toja but it's an option.

Advertisement