Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant Account

Options
  • 17-01-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I'm looking to take a dormant status of my BOI account so I can transfer money to my UK account. I need the funds and don't want to have to fly over to do this at expense.

Would a request by letter to the bank with a certified copy of my passport be sufficient to do this? And how do I get the copy certified, if so? Also will they be picky about the name on my account (I have my name on my BOI account in Irish, but my name on my passport in English)?

Kind Regards,
    Liam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi liam_2009[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for making contact here with your query.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]First, we would like to mention, if there has been no debits to your account, it can become 'inactive' after a period of 3 years and account needs to be reinstated to allow debits. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If no transactions for 15 years, account can become dormant and also needs to be reinstated.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]To reinstate an 'inactive' or a 'dormant' account, you will need to send 2 recent utility bills within the last 6 months, both certified and a copy of your Passport in your English name also certified to the account holding branch. You could ask another financial institution to certify these for you or possibly a solicitor. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]With an 'inactive' account, to reinstate you can send the above documents with a letter of request to your branch. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]With a 'dormant' account, you will need to contact your branch first and request they send you the relevant form in the post.  You can request this here by phone. Once you receive and complete the form, you can return this to your account holding branch in the post along with the identification documents mentioned above.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We'd certainly recommend first contacting your branch to confirm if the account is inactive/ dormant. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]We hope this helps, if you have any further queries please feel free to ask.[/font]
    Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement