Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free cabin for hikers

Options
  • 17-01-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Someone was telling me that there used to be free log cabins in the Dublin wick low mountains for hikers to use. He used them a few years ago and doesn't remember exactly where they are.
    I can't find any info about them online. Does anyone know if these exist, what's the deal with them and where they would be? I go hiking a lot so they would be useful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

there are 3 of them on the wicklow way; brushers gap hut (next to scarr), Mullacor hut (on the trail after mullacor heading to Glenmalure) and Mucklagh hut (down towards aughavanna). Have stayed in all of them. Pretty decent. There is fire spot outside them with a bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

loobylou wrote: »
    So annoying in this country that blogs and websites like this can never bother their arses sticking a Google Maps or GPS reference on their stuff, every other country the minute you google something like that there will be a Maps link included in the results but in Ireland you have to research it yourself or go begging on forums like this, pisses me off so much, Id say a fair few tourists must give up trying to navigate aswell.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that, it would make a good target for a long hike sometime, but a search for Mucklagh tells you its in Cavan, a search for Aughavannagh brings up the correct village but of course there's no Mucklagh nearby... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thargor wrote: »
    So annoying in this country that blogs and websites like this can never bother their arses sticking a Google Maps or GPS reference on their stuff,
    Like this, for example ...

http://mountainmeitheal.ie/2014/04/5th-shelter-completed/

... or even this ...

http://mountainmeitheal.ie/about-us/adirondack-shelter/

... and from your link to the wicklowway.com website above ...
    The grid reference for the hut is T 074 861.

Im sure the information always exists somewhere its just always a drawn out process to find it and you can never fully trust it either, compared to hiking in the UK or the rest of Europe for example.

• Advertisement

It took me all of 10 seconds Googling "Wicklow Way huts" to find those links, hardly a drawn out process.

I meant in general, trying to find businesses etc, obviously there will be data available for the Wicklow way but when you look at other countries its like Irish sites never heard of Google maps.

Businesses have to pay to get on to Google Maps I believe. Maybe they just feel it isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ok there must be guys who volunteer in the mountain rescue who despair at you learn to read a map what are you going to do when your battery dies oh and a compass is not an app

• Advertisement

Ok there must be guys who volunteer in the mountain rescue who despair at you learn to read a map what are you going to do when your battery dies oh and a compass is not an app
    Oh god the smugness :rolleyes:

I was talking about for browsing convenience, car parking in the area/places to eat purposes not survival in the actual area, I know how to read a map thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

PrzemoF wrote: »
    @Thargor

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1606755282

I don't use google maps, so i have no clue it ther are there as well
    Is this a fairly new hut at Mucklagh? I have been to the spot a few times but didn't see a hut. Not for a couple of years though. There is a nice view from this spot towards Aughavannagh and Lug.

recedite wrote: »
    Is this a fairly new hut at Mucklagh? I have been to the spot a few times but didn't see a hut. Not for a couple of years though. There is a nice view from this spot towards Aughavannagh and Lug.
    http://www.wicklowway.com/news/11.06.19-new-mountain-meitheal-shelter.php

It was new in 2011, yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whillikers

D'ya reckon these places would be busy over the Easter weekend? Me and a few friends are planning a trip and haven't decided where we'd like to go. These look fantastic, but we're also a rowdy (but definitely clean, we'll leave no trace) bunch, and would rather not run into too many people. I know it's Wicklow and it's popular, but was hoping any of ye could shed some light :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Whillikers wrote: »
    D'ya reckon these places would be busy over the Easter weekend? Me and a few friends are planning a trip and haven't decided where we'd like to go. These look fantastic, but we're also a rowdy (but definitely clean, we'll leave no trace) bunch, and would rather not run into too many people. I know it's Wicklow and it's popular, but was hoping any of ye could shed some light :)

templebar might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

but was hoping any of ye could shed some light :)

Shed ! . Nice one that. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Whillikers

duckysauce wrote: »
    templebar might be better

Might it? I would've thought it's unwise to pitch a tent in the city centre on a bank holiday weekend but sure what do I know, I'm just a beginner looking for a bit of help, thanks for the friendly advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Very difficult to know if they will be busy on the weekend as a lot depends on the weather. Actually the forecast is quite promising at the moment .
    All I can tell you is that I sheltered from rain showers last weekend in the mullacor hut and the hut close to paddock hill and both were empty but that was around midday . Incidentally both were spotlessly clean and are a great amenity which I hope will be treated with respect .
    I would suggest perhaps that you plan to stay in the huts but have a contingency plan where you bring your tents and can camp close by if huts are in use . Bearing in mind the fact that of course camping is not permitted in the national park ;)
    Have a great weekend and enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll often find people in them at random times of the year, and they're usually tourists off on a hike or something. The last few times I've ran by the one at Brushers gap in the evenings it's been in use.

They're not the places to go to and be rowdy and take the piss.

Advertisement