Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocking music downloads

Options
  • 17-01-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I heard something on the news some isp would be made to block music downloads like eircom. I did not know eircom blocked music downloads but i do not download so would not know

If someone was using a vpn could the isp still block them? would the isp know what the person with the vpn was doing.? i am curious

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It happened a while back Irish ISPs were ordered to block the Pirate Bay site.
    Mod: Please feel free to discuss the issue but no mentioning proxies/VPNs or any method of bypassing these restrictions, thanks :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

yoyo wrote: »
    It happened a while back Irish ISPs were ordered to block the Pirate Bay site.

This is different and predates that.

Eircom operate the three strikes policy. In simple terms:

1. Joe Soap torrents Album X by record company Y
    2. Record Company Y pay company z to monitor all torrents they can find of their content and record IPs.
    3. Any IPs within the eircom block trigger a letter from company z to eircom to say "your user at this ip at this time was pirating, stoppit!"
    4. Eircom give Joe Soap warning.

On his third warning Joe Soap is meant to be cut off. Never heard of it happening but I assume some idiot has continued with multiple warnings.

No other ISP do it, only eircom. All ISPs bloc TBP and KAT as set down by the high court. Now the IRMA and Sony/WB want them to force UPC to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭JuneJones

ED E wrote: »
    This is different a predates that.

Eircom operate the three strikes policy. In simple terms:

1. Joe Soap torrents Album X by record company Y
    2. Record Company Y pay company z to monitor all torrents they can find of their content and record IPs.
    3. Any IPs within the eircom block trigger a letter from company z to eircom to say "your user at this ip at this time was pirating, stoppit!"
    4. Eircom give Joe Soap warning.

On his third warning Joe Soap is meant to be cut off. Never heard of it happening but I assume some idiot has continued with multiple warnings.

No other ISP do it, only eircom. All ISPs bloc TBP and KAT as set down by the high court. Now the IRMA and Sony/WB want them to force UPC to follow suit.
    that's it upc

but don't eircom know anyway what people download?

Eircom dont care. Its the tracking company that do the legwork.

If the music companies can force UPC to do what eircom do (comply with notices) then the precedent will be pretty well set and the smaller operators may well cave to doing the same. UPC have fought them previously though so itll be interesting to see.

Eircom dont care.
    isn't that facilitating it? they know who does it but say nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

JuneJones wrote: »

They are just the service providers. From their point of view they are not responsible for what people use the service for

ESB provide me mains power. If I use that to grow weed, is that the ESBs fault?

ISPs provide a pipe. The users choose what to do with it.

ESB provide me mains power. If I use that to grow weed, is that the ESBs fault?

ISPs provide a pipe. The users choose what to do with it.

but the esb do not know if you grow weed. eircom do know what is happening

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

but the esb do not know if you grow weed. eircom do know what is happening

No they don't. For Eircom or any ISP for that matter to employ deep packet inspection, along with the manpower to monitor their thousands of customers just would not be feasible.
    To block peer to peer communication methods like torrents likewise would have a knock on effect on many other internet services, online gaming, Skype to name a few

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

No other ISP do it, only eircom. All ISPs bloc TBP and KAT as set down by the high court.

I'm on Eircom and KAT isn't blocked for me. I don't use a proxy or VPN, I just click the bookmark and it loads (it takes a few seconds longer than most other sites, but apart from that, it works fine).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    I'm on Eircom and KAT isn't blocked for me. I don't use a proxy or VPN, I just click the bookmark and it loads (it takes a few seconds longer than most other sites, but apart from that, it works fine).

What browser? Opera?

What browser? Opera?

All of them. I'm going to test them now. Chrome, Firefox, IE, works on all of them. Win 7 machine.

me neither just checked and do not have vpn or proxy either.

me neither just checked and do not have vpn or proxy either.

TPB was blocked for me, but KAT never has been. I wonder...could it have something to do with the fact I set my router's DNS settings to OpenDNS or Google DNS (can't remember which, it's one or the other)?

TPB was blocked for me, but KAT never has been. I wonder...could it have something to do with the fact I set my router's DNS settings to OpenDNS or Google DNS (can't remember which, it's one or the other)?

Some ISPs only block on the DNS level (UPC), others block the IPs themselves.

Since the TBP seizure some of the blocks seem to have been disabled.

Advertisement