Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy

Options
  • 17-01-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Finally got to image the Comet last night from Dundalk, not as detailed as I wished but a problem polar aligning meant I couldnt get more than 45s unguided without trailing

16113383478_00df3d039b_z_d.jpg
    Skywatcher 200PDS (1000mm)
    Canon 1100D
    4X 45s ISO 1600
    Dark, Bias, Flats
    Reg in DSS, stacked & processed in PI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Another from tonight, clouds and more issues with setup ... :mad:

15693195293_97bf20bc55_z_d.jpg
    Comet C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy from Ireland
    Skywatcher 200PDS, Canon 1100D
    3X60s ISO800
    Darks, Bias & Flats
    DSS + PI + CS5 processing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Great photos Zeroy.

I notice there are a lot less background stars in the second image compared to the first you posted. Is that purely down to the lower ISO settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Great photos Zeroy.

I notice there are a lot less background stars in the second image compared to the first you posted. Is that purely down to the lower ISO settings?

Because the comet moves faster than the stars I have to do a mix of 2 stacks, in doing so I use a star mask which removes a lot of stars ... here is a single exposure with the correct number of stars:

L_0003%281%29_small.jpg

Oh and also, its moving all the time so background stars are not the same day after day

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nightphotos

Great photos Zeroy can i ask what eq mount are you using :-)

Advertisement