Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

360 connects to network but not internet (wired connection)

Options
  • 17-01-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭

Afternoon guys.

I've tried a search to help me, but came up empty-handed.

I've recently bought a secondhand 360, and everything works grand but for connecting to the internet. Not interested in Live.
    Anyways, I'm running eFibre, and every other device in the house has no issues. The 360 is wired to the router, and passes the network test. It fails on the Internet test.
    It can see and connect to my PC, which is wirelessly connected to the network.

Apologies if this comes across as basic, but it's years since I messed around with network settings and the like.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Soarer wrote: »
    Afternoon guys.

I've tried a search to help me, but came up empty-handed.

I've recently bought a secondhand 360, and everything works grand but for connecting to the internet. Not interested in Live.
    Anyways, I'm running eFibre, and every other device in the house has no issues. The 360 is wired to the router, and passes the network test. It fails on the Internet test.
    It can see and connect to my PC, which is wirelessly connected to the network.

Apologies if this comes across as basic, but it's years since I messed around with network settings and the like.

All help appreciated.
    When there are any problems with wifi , it's always worth trying to change the wifi channel. Should be easy to find in the wify section of your router page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

The Xbox has a wired connection.
    My PC is connected wirelessly, and the Xbox can see that through the router, if that makes sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Check to make sure that the internet settings are set to automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If the xbox can see other network devices, and it is second hand could it be banned?

CatInABox wrote: »
    Check to make sure that the internet settings are set to automatic.

Everything's set to Auto. Don't have the bottle to manually change anything!:o
    GAAman wrote: »
    If the xbox can see other network devices, and it is second hand could it be banned?

Could be. Never checked.
    But I thought you could only be banned from Live no? Or can they go all North Korea and ban you from the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Soarer wrote: »
    Could be. Never checked.
    But I thought you could only be banned from Live no? Or can they go all North Korea and ban you from the internet?

Wouldn't have a clue tbh, just between the fact it's second hand and my never having to change settings it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Yera tisnt the biggest deal in the world, even though it is wrecking my head.

I really only want it so the game cover art on my hdd gets updated 'cause afaik that takes place automatically online.

SOLVED!!!

First thing I did was follow this fella's tutorial on port forwarding.

Then I followed these instructions from a fellow Boardie, Bog Standard User.

Turned off the router for a minute, turned it back on, and presto!

Bake 'em away toys!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah each eircom router needs the ports forwarded for Xbox, usually pretty straightforward.
    Odd that it's not standard on them really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah each eircom router needs the ports forwarded for Xbox, usually pretty straightforward.
    Odd that it's not standard on them really

The old netopia (silver with 2 antennae) ones used to have an Xbox profile in the nat settings from what I recall. That's going back a bit though :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement