Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads Selling Strange Coal

Options
  • 17-01-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hey all, I was wondering whether anyone has had lads coming to their door before&just after the holidays selling fuel and, particularly, coal out the ballybane direction?

I'm asking because around last Monday I had them coming to my door again to see any new fuel. Long story short, the bag of coal turned out to be mostly 40kg of the MOST amazing fake coal that I've ever seen: best guess I have is that it was a concrete&tar mix which was covered in coal dust. Not even annoyed by it, as the guys who sold it said that they would call last Thursday for payment but never did, and there were a few pieces of actual coal in the bag. I'm more amazed at their enterprising spirit then at anything else, as I'm no way out of pocket because of it!

So, did anyone else meet these guys? They were/are selling out of a van, if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did you get the reg no.of the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hey all, I was wondering whether anyone has had lads coming to their door before&just after the holidays selling fuel and, particularly, coal out the ballybane direction?

I'm asking because around last Monday I had them coming to my door again to see any new fuel. Long story short, the bag of coal turned out to be mostly 40kg of the MOST amazing fake coal that I've ever seen: best guess I have is that it was a concrete&tar mix which was covered in coal dust. Not even annoyed by it, as the guys who sold it said that they would call last Thursday for payment but never did, and there were a few pieces of actual coal in the bag. I'm more amazed at their enterprising spirit then at anything else, as I'm no way out of pocket because of it!

So, did anyone else meet these guys? They were/are selling out of a van, if that helps.
    Did they refer to you as "boss"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

You seem very happy about a pair of cheating conniving conceited con-artists trying to scam ya out of your money?!?

I don't know whether to be worried or amused about this fact?!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Is this code for something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

I'm more amazed at their enterprising spirit.

It's not enterprising spirit, it's FRAUD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I'd hate to think what the fake briquettes are made of...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Did you let them in through the house, or around the back, to deliver it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Did you let them in through the house, or around the back, to deliver it?

Good point. It could have been a reccy for future adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Two possibilities come to mind;
    1. They realized that the dodgy was more expensive to make than actual.

2. They realized the business model of collecting payment a few days after buyer would have discovered scam, was not the best model as it could involve the receipt of a slap.

��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Like others have said they might have been sussing out a few houses or looking for an easy target. We live in that area and have had lads call a few times about selling fuel but never took them up on the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

If there's a Galway City general-type Facebook Page it might be an idea to post there about it. In difficult times peeps would be swayed with a cheap offer, plus also the Elderly living on their own might be targeted. Somebody good-natured could end up bringing them in for a cup of tea and a chat, (even though I think this would be done out the County more than the City,) and with chatting, the boyos could find out all they need to know about when would be the best time for them to call again if they have other less-than-pleasant plans in mind! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

whats the big deal...i have heard of people faking orgasms and it doesnt make the headlines!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

chrysagon wrote: »
    whats the big deal...i have heard of people faking orgasms and it doesnt make the headlines!!!!

Up close I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Sorry for the delayed reply, strange few days!

@Gordongekko: No; bag of coal is a bag of coal.

@(Many): Yes I understand it to be blatant fraud, and potentially life-threatening to the elderly. It's just better to laugh at a bad situation after the fact then to go on a blind rampage. Laughter settles, and focuses the mind.

I didn't get a reg number, but it was a blue Transporter. Got a leaflet from them but the numbers on it aren't working now. Bunch of cowboys it does seem&of the chanciest variety. Specifically had them drop any stuff directly at my door so as not to have the chance of them casing the place, as the house was empty all through the holidays.

@Andrea B: I'd been thinking along the same lines: they sold ok stuff before the holidays, tried macing people afterwards, knowing that they could just disappear. They handed me "coal" then, knowing that it was a bag of rocks&that they wouldn't have to come back. Thing is, they came to the door there to one of my housemates.. Door wasn't answered, but I'll be waiting avidly around the house for any following appearance. And to snap reg number, and to take a few snapshots of the guys themselves.

@rosesarered: Yep I'll be doing just that, when I have the guys faces to go with the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A slight side note but relevant I suppose:

There's been a few lads selling fuel door to door on spec in Rahoon/Mincloon/Knocknacarra One man was older (truck I think, but I wasn't the one that dealt with them at our house). Turf/Briquettes/Logs. Apart from a bit of damp wood in one bag the stuff was grand and good value. So it isn't everyone.

Advertisement