Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting blog by Alexi Pappas

• 17-01-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

Now, I should probably begin by saying I am a fan of Pappas, so maybe others won't find it as interesting. She wrote a article about meeting Barack Obama and how he said that "she had a gift" and was born to run, more so than the average athlete.

Good quote here:
    I was taken aback. Right away I knew what I wanted to say in response … but dare I risk embarrassing my brother and disagree with Mr. Obama? I started by thanking the President, and then I couldn’t help myself – I added that my performance in the sport is actually a result of hard work, motivation and support from my community.

This was not the answer the President wanted to hear.

“No, no,” he said, “Your body is able to flush out lactic acid better than the average person – running is what you were born to do.” Mr. Obama’s energy and tone were so confident and convincing that he could have told me the moon is really made out of cheese and I would have agreed with him. I nodded and thanked him. Besides, our five-minute meeting time was up. I left the Oval Office feeling very honored, but I also couldn’t stop thinking about what the President had said.

She goes on then to talk about the talent vs hard work debate.

Full article here:

http://gotracktownusa.com/inside_track/2015/01/alexi-pappas-president-said/:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

I was most struck by this paragraph.

And, in my two-and-a-half years living in Eugene since, this feeling of support has only grown. Now even my local butcher, coffee roaster, organic farm and fish shop owner support my endeavors. Now I am bigger, stronger and faster. I am an Oregon Track Club Elite runner

Is there anywhere in Ireland (not to mention any other country) where you'd get that spirit and support in the community for a runner?

Advertisement