Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't find a bike rack to fit my car...

• 17-01-2015 6:58pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I drive a 2001 Audi TT coupe. I'm trying to find a normal bike rack that goes on the back that can hold two mountain bikes for shirt journeys. Can't seem to find anything that says it fits. I could get a SeaSucker but they are pretty expensive. Hoping for the moment to find a normal cheap one that will do me for a while. Would anyone know how I can find out which one may fit? The back looks like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Maybe it's time to give your hairdresser back her car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not cheap either but if you fit a removable tow bar then loads of rack options.

Or a roof rack maybe is the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also consider if you want to be able to access the boot while the bike is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

This one should do the job. I have one and it is very flexible, you can put it on almost any car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    Not cheap either but if you fit a removable tow bar then loads of rack options....
    Most sporty type cars cannot be fitted with a towbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Maybe it's time to give your hairdresser back her car.

I laughed, my bad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Don't think so. Might mean a bit of bumper cutting and will certainly detract from the aesthetic but no engineering reason against. A removable tow bar might ameliorate the ugly factor.

Otherwise OP has to, like the rest of us, come to terms with changing the car to suit the bikes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Seweryn wrote: »
    This one should do the job. I have one and it is very flexible, you can put it on almost any car.

That's a Saris Bones 2. I have one myself and it works great on my RX-8. Funnily, the Saris site say it won't fit on an Audi TT even though that picture says otherwise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, will definitely take a look at that one. Fingers crossed it will work ok. Is it stable on your RX-8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I used to carry stuff on an MX-5 (my hair was great) with a custom detachable tow-hitch. It went under the bumper and attached to the chassis and the hard-top mounts and whilst the people who built it for me made me promise not to tow anything with it, it would carry surfboards and bikes and still allow operation of the fabric roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's on a common platform from VAG so a tow bar will fit, maybe the bumper will need modification, but all the mounting points will be available as it would cost to remove them during manufacture.

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks, will definitely take a look at that one. Fingers crossed it will work ok. Is it stable on your RX-8?

It's rock solid on there. Mine is the 2 but you can get a 3 bike version as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, yeah all I need is the 2. It's only for short journeys to Wicklow etc. If I started going longer distances I'd probably invest in the Seasucker - looks like a fantastic piece of fit but it's about €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

That's a Saris Bones 2. I have one myself and it works great on my RX-8. Funnily, the Saris site say it won't fit on an Audi TT even though that picture says otherwise.

It appears to me that only 4 of the 6 straps are engaged in this picture, the two side or anti-sway staps are not used, only the upper and lower straps. It is these anti-sway or side straps that makes this Saris unsuitable for certain car models, where there are no suitable or secure side anchor points at the recommended height etc. etc. These side straps make the carrier extremely stable and safe and may not be so without having these secured. I have been using the Saris Bones 2 for some years and have found it very stable and secure etc. etc. Hope this helps.

The side straps are used in that picture, just under the rear spoiler.

Thanks guys this helps a lot. I found a Saris 2nd hand for decent money so going to try to get that. Otherwise, a TT website recommended the Hollywood Express Rack 3, which I found on ebay for about €80. But I'd guess the Saris is better quality so I'll go with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I bought a Saris Bones 3 recently, they really are a great rack. Easy pezy lemon squeezy to put together, and clip on in 2 minutes when set up.

135 on Wiggle atm.

Advertisement