Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to finish a "shell" of a house?

Options
  • 17-01-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to offer an estimate of the cost to finish a 2800sqft house thats currently finished to block walls internally. Its a 2 storey house, looks finished from the outside but inside needs EVERYTHING, there are several similar houses so I'm assuming that a plan already exists, albeit one that could be changed. There a few timber frames for the stud walls but thats it, it'll need plumbing, electrics, heating, kitchen, bathrooms etc.

The estate agent says that €100-150k should cover it, is this realistic or not?

This is the house in question and was originally built in 2009/10 I believe and has been sitting unfinished since, now under NAMA control.

Anything else to consider, such as changing regulations between the date it was started and possible finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Interior can cost any money realistically 850euro/m.sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Interior can cost any money realistically 850euro/m.sq.

I'm nearing completion of something similar but for a house of 1350ft.sq. and its coming in less than 90k for a great finish and near passive standard.

There's a lot of factors that can drive the price up. Is a septic tank needed, water connection, ESB fees, what kind of insulation do you want, spec of heating, kitchen and bathrooms, etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

thesteve wrote: »
    I'm nearing completion of something similar but for a house of 1350ft.sq. and its coming in less than 90k for a great finish and near passive standard.

There's a lot of factors that can drive the price up. Is a septic tank needed, water connection, ESB fees, what kind of insulation do you want, spec of heating, kitchen and bathrooms, etc.

Hi what was the first fix air-rightness test result? Did you have to change the windows to get to 0.8wm2k u-value levels? And how's the Mvhr unit running?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Hi OP I'm considering a similar undertaking myself, will need very little outside but inside needs some walls, underfloor heating, stairs, mech, elec, all interior finishes etc.
    Did you get any good info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Molzer2 wrote: »
    Hi OP I'm considering a similar undertaking myself, will need very little outside but inside needs some walls, underfloor heating, stairs, mech, elec, all interior finishes etc.
    Did you get any good info?

Only enough to realise I knew next to nothing of how to go about it all, and the cost was so variable that I decided against it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement