Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish women hiding their beauty?

• 17-01-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get people's opinions. I'm an Irish girl, 18 so obviously I'm not saying we all do this (I definitely don't) but...
    Why do so many Irish women hide their beauty behind a mask of heavy make up and our apparently "best friend" (actually our worst enemy), fake tan? I know so many girls who are beautiful but then they decide to "look nice" and end up covering up their beauty. I really think it's sad because I know a lot of my friends do it out of insecurity.
    There was a girl in school who was absolutely stunning with snow white skin, long black hair and huge green kind of cat like (if that makes sense) eyes. We were all jealous and in awe of her but then one day meeting her outside of school we couldn't believe it. She had packed on the smidiú and fake tan and her looks were completely lost! We had told some lads about her and they were extremely underwhelmed but she really is completely beautiful! That's just one example that stands out for me.
    There are really so many gorgeous girls that just in my opinion, can't accept being Irish??? It's like they go around trying to look like Kim Kardashian or Beyoncé and it just does not work. Imagine Rihanna trying to look like a Scandinavian girl. She would look like ****e. Her beauty is hers. Think of the Irish women who are known internationally as beautiful, Saoirse Ronan, Sarah Bolger, Tara Lee, Katie Mcgrath or even the Scottish actress Karren Gillain. None of them try to look like something they're not. They all embrace and accentuate their Celtic beauty and that's why they're so gorgeous!
    Can't we at least boycott fake tan. Sometimes it's not too bad but it never,NEVER looks natural and everyone looks better without it. Even foreigners think it looks bad and our own men aren't fans either.
    I wear make up but never fake tan. My friends always say "Yeah but you can get away with pale!" What does that mean??? They're all lovely with it too and pale skin is NOT a bad thing that needs to be "gotten away with".

I'm not having a dig or saying us Irish are unattractive because nobody can ignore the tons of pretty girls but some of us need to stop hiding it away. Does anybody else agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I hide my beauty behind a pint of stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

If they didn't wear mascara how would I know their eyes were watering when gagging on my bulging, veiny, meat stick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Today, I discovered my washing machine has a "speed wash" setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

First post, eh?

Could be trolling... but I'd agree. Fake tan does no one any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Too long to read,

Someone shorten for me please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The only opinion I have on fake tan is that it makes shite out of car upholstery.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

They do it probably because there is huge peer and media pressure to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The only opinion I have on fake tan is that it makes shite out of car upholstery.

The umpa lumpa look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ficheall wrote: »
    First post, eh?

Neither does pale pasty appearance either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 feamainn

Ficheall wrote: »
    First post, eh?

Haha I'm not trolling. I'm not trying to attack women who wear tan or saying that I'm better than them, it's just that I really don't get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Totally agree with you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yep. And if you cover the back seat with a bit of carpet or plastic, they won't get in the car in the 1st place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

feamainn wrote: »
    Haha I'm not trolling. I'm not trying to attack women who wear tan or saying that I'm better than them, it's just that I really don't get it...

There's no sun in Ireland and tans are fashionable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Put it on at home instead.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. And if you cover the back seat with a bit of carpet or plastic, they won't get in the car in the 1st place.
    Leatherette wipes clean, and unlike real leather, it doesn't squeak;)

Neither does pale pasty appearance either....

Omg, you can be pale and not pasty. You can have luminous healthy fair skin and a bit of colour in your cheeks. I think Saoirse Ronan's make up is always on point. Always beautifully fresh and dewy

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chrissym

I know lots of people who look good without makeup or with the makeup they wear on a daily basis. It's only when they're going out that I think they over do it. I have cringed many a time
    Don't personally wear it myself cos effort of that! Plus that ****'s expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I didn't wear fake tan when I was 18 (24 now) I'm very pale and embraced it. I wear it now because it makes you look a lot healthier, a lot thinner, and covers a multitude of marks on your skin.. stretch marks being my forte ;-)

I agree some women wear too much, some do look amazing without make-up, and some really don't. At 18 your skin should be clear as a whistle and your fresh complexion is very attractive. This often fades with age and make-up gives women glamour and confidence.

• Advertisement

There's no sun in Ireland and tans are fashionable?

So we have to copy everybody else? Can't we do something that works for us? Almost any guy, especially foreign will tell you we're better without it.
    Also, most of the world prefer fair skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I often notice a lot of girls have fake tan stains on their hands during the day, presumably from a night out. Not a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Yeh I don't understand pale women insisting on wearing it. I'm pale and wouldn't wear it ever, just looks like shyte (literally) on me (based on the one time I wore it).
    Women who aren't so pale though, it can look good once applied well. Well actually you wouldn't know they were wearing it if it's applied well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I have to agree op. I am very pale and proud. The amount of people that say it works on me and the amount of other people that tell me I look too pale and I should try it is unreal!

Mostly people have given up on telling me to add a bit of a "glow" I hate the look and the smell. Also looks awful when it is fading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

So we have to copy everybody else? Can't we do something that works for us? Almost any guy, especially foreign will tell you we're better without it.

Nope, I'm simply giving an explanation why women might wear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Some women are insecure, so use make up to hide how they look, or 'fix flaws.'

Some women are confident and use make up to enhance their features.

Some women don't give a fcuk about make up.

No biggie.

shalalala wrote: »
    I have to agree op. I am very pale and proud. The amount of people that say it works on me and the amount of other people that tell me I look too pale and I should try it is unreal!

Mostly people have given up on telling me to add a bit of a "glow" I hate the look and the smell. Also looks awful when it is fading

I can't stand people who talk about "a healthy glow". You're right, it is horrible when it's all wearing off. It has to be bad for the skin. I wear make up but I can wash that off. Surely the tan gets stuck in your pores? I think the most important think is too look after your skin (Korean products saved me, no redness!) instead of just covering it up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

keith16 wrote: »
    Today, I discovered my washing machine has a "speed wash" setting.
    Is that when you put the washing on and do lines of speed off the top of the machine?
    Too long to read,

Women that wear to much makeup look stupid or someit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Black or dark brown hair, pale skin and blue or green eyes is the winning combo for women

Girls who look like this are far more attractive than any stereotypical fake tanned bar or club goers in Ireland which is ironic since so many Irish girls could naturally simulate it easily

Alexandra-daddario-9.jpg

Rachel%20Mcadams%201920X1200%2023460%20Sexy%20Wallpaper.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not a huge fan of too much makeup but ultimately not bothered too much. It's a relatively trivial thing on which to judge a woman you fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ScumLord wrote: »

Women that wear to much makeup look stupid or someit.

Really only when they use a trowel to apply liberally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

with snow white skin, long black hair and huge green kind of cat like (if that makes sense) eyes.

I never wear fake tan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Any woman worth her salt, Irish or otherwise, doesn't require the approval of men to do as she pleases and wear what she pleases.

If it makes a woman happy and feel confident then that's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

if Irish women want to look like Oompa Loompas let 'em. My Scottish g/f has an incredibly pale complexion and she's lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Brown flab always looks better than white flab.. Fact

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »
    Brown flab always looks better than white flab.. Fact

Not fact. And a better idea would be to respect your body and nourish it the way it deserves and then you wouldn't have "flab".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Who cares as long as the girl in question feels good about themselves? I personally am not a fan of fake tan, it doesn't suit me, but I love wearing makeup and definately express myself using makeup. My oh doesn't like it. He loves the messy hair, the pale face, the just out of bed look. That's always when he tells me I look beautiful. I feel at my best and ready for the day when I have my hair done, my makeup done and I do that for myself. Not to make myself feel more beautiful, or not to impress anyone else.

Girls need to stop judging each other so much

Not fact. And a better idea would be to respect your body and nourish it the way it deserves and then you wouldn't have "flab".

Haha yeah come back to me when you're older and tell me that.

Who cares as long as the girl in question feels good about themselves? I personally am not a fan of fake tan, it doesn't suit me, but I love wearing makeup and definately express myself using makeup. My oh doesn't like it. He loves the messy hair, the pale face, the just out of bed look. That's always when he tells me I look beautiful. I feel at my best and ready for the day when I have my hair done, my makeup done and I do that for myself. Not to make myself feel more beautiful, or not to impress anyone else.

Girls need to stop judging each other so much

I love make up too. I'm not saying that anybody who wears make up wants to impress people but it's so blatantly obvious that the girls who literally mask their faces and do anything to cover their lovely Irish features are incredibly insecure and that is sad.
    And with tan, I doubt these girls would be wearing it "for themselves" if we lived in times were sun damaged skin was undesirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

PLL wrote: »
    ... I wear it now because it makes you look a lot healthier, a lot thinner...

LOL.... what?!

Maybe all of the women I've ever seen, EVER, wearing fake tan have had it applied badly, but claiming that fake tan makes one look healthier and thinner is deluded.

It's Ireland, it's winter - nobody expects people to have tan. Walking around with a nuclear orange glow looks awful. Give yourselves a break, ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Haha yeah come back to me when you're older and tell me that.

This is Christie Brinkley who is 60. You were saying?

1389805516_christie-brinkley-zoom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Then don't wear it. I don't get tattoos, I don't have any. Others can do as they please to their own body.

Live and let live

I love make up too. I'm not saying that anybody who wears make up wants to impress people but it's so blatantly obvious that the girls who literally mask their faces and do anything to cover their lovely Irish features are incredibly insecure and that is sad.
    And with tan, I doubt these girls would be wearing it "for themselves" if we lived in times were sun damaged skin was undesirable.

But seriously? Who the **** cares? If you're so confident why are you so caught up on what other girls are doing? As long as they feel good about themselves, who cares? What you percieve to be beautiful is not going to be beautiful to everybody else. There is no blanket definition of beauty. You can choose the worlds sexiest woman (voted for by millions of people) and you'll find nearly as many people who'll think shes rough. If women feel better with tan, or more confident with too much makeup, then good for them. Nobody is saying you have to go for the same look.

I wouldn't waste time judging others for their choices when it makes zero difference to anyone else. They're probably judging you for yours anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

God these threads make me feel old.

I was an immature, insecure wreck at 18. Everyone else's opinion mattered more than anything and I had no clue about my own. So I plied on the fake tan, had a ridiculous hairstyle and dressed like everyone else, whether it suited my figure or not (usually not).

Fortunately you grow out of that and get to a stage where you realize who you are and choose to make do with that. And life becomes about more important things than out-tanning the next person and fcuked if you have time to spend 3 hours in front of the mirror every day anyway.

Give yourself and your ladies a few years OP. If you are in fact an 18 year old Irish girl and not some whackjob re-reg middle-aged man in a dirty vest touching himself furiously with every response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Dark hair, pale skin and big eyes sounds a lot better than that fake orange crap.

One thing, Rihanna is a bit rough, I don't see what people see in her. If she wasnt famous people would see her as just about average looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get people's opinions. I'm an Irish girl, 18 so obviously I'm not saying we all do this (I definitely don't) but...
    Why do so many Irish women hide their beauty behind a mask of heavy make up and our apparently "best friend" (actually our worst enemy), fake tan? I know so many girls who are beautiful but then they decide to "look nice" and end up covering up their beauty. I really think it's sad because I know a lot of my friends do it out of insecurity.
    There was a girl in school who was absolutely stunning with snow white skin, long black hair and huge green kind of cat like (if that makes sense) eyes. We were all jealous and in awe of her but then one day meeting her outside of school we couldn't believe it. She had packed on the smidiú and fake tan and her looks were completely lost! We had told some lads about her and they were extremely underwhelmed but she really is completely beautiful! That's just one example that stands out for me.
    There are really so many gorgeous girls that just in my opinion, can't accept being Irish??? It's like they go around trying to look like Kim Kardashian or Beyoncé and it just does not work. Imagine Rihanna trying to look like a Scandinavian girl. She would look like ****e. Her beauty is hers. Think of the Irish women who are known internationally as beautiful, Saoirse Ronan, Sarah Bolger, Tara Lee, Katie Mcgrath or even the Scottish actress Karren Gillain. None of them try to look like something they're not. They all embrace and accentuate their Celtic beauty and that's why they're so gorgeous!
    Can't we at least boycott fake tan. Sometimes it's not too bad but it never,NEVER looks natural and everyone looks better without it. Even foreigners think it looks bad and our own men aren't fans either.
    I wear make up but never fake tan. My friends always say "Yeah but you can get away with pale!" What does that mean??? They're all lovely with it too and pale skin is NOT a bad thing that needs to be "gotten away with".

I'm not having a dig or saying us Irish are unattractive because nobody can ignore the tons of pretty girls but some of us need to stop hiding it away. Does anybody else agree?

100% agreement.my ex was a lasher and covered herself in makeup and fake tan,I couldn't convince her she was better off without it.and Irish women are great looking in my opinion.they're not as confident as their foreign counterparts tho re their own looks,its a double edge sword thothose humbleness is endearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

People say some dumb sh-t about Rihanna's forehead though, it's not all high praise of her.

I agree though, while she is pretty - objectively a million miles from ugly, she's not as spectacular as is claimed by the tabloid media and whatnot.

I wear a little bit of make-up - "Women look better without make-up" actually means "Women look better with a small bit of well applied make-up" - but the clown look is ****ing ridiculous; I agree it seems mad to completely hide how you look. Kinda the younger equivalent IMO of women getting crazily OTT cosmetic surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Many women would make themselves much more attractive and enjoy higher levels of self-confidence if they spent the time and money they invest on buying and putting on their make-up each day on a gym membership and regular attendance at it.

Might not be a popular statement, but I'm right. Eat, sleep and exercise properly and they'd be healthier in very sense and have less things to try to hide, from cellulite to poxy skin tone, wrinkles and spots.

I couldn't give a toss (ha ha) if you've nice make-up, your hair and nails are done and you're wearing some 'glow' if you're not looking after your body and mind first. I'd take a bare skinned, hair down, naturally healthy woman wearing a flecky track suit from Oxfam any day over a dolled up woman who tries to hide her couch sitting lazy assed ways behind a mask of war paint, manicure and expensive clothes.

No, makeup is only acceptable to accentuate your naturally attractive facial features. Using it to hide something you should be FIXING by living a healthy life is a con and a cop-out.

Healthy and attractive woman are just that, with or without make-up. Unhealthy (by choice, no excuses) women CAN'T magically become attractive just because they wear a facial (snigger) mask of cosmetic products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Too long to read,

Why do irish women wear makeup

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement