Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish women hiding their beauty?

Comments

feamainn wrote: »
    Some people nowadays want people to know that their tan is fake. Like they think it makes it look like they've made an effort.

"Nowadays"? You're only 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Theres a difference between having nice clear pale skin like snow whites that youre referring to and blotchy pinkish non clear skin + freckles which most us native irish have.

Makeup that wears the girl is bad, but I don't think it's that common on girls over, say, 23.

Personally I wear minimal makeup if I wear any at all, and on the occasions I wear more than the usual bit of liner and mascara, blush and lipgloss, I notice the makeup more than my face when I look in the mirror.

A little makeup is enhancing (imo), a lot of makeup is obscuring. But that's only my opinion based on what I'm comfortable with, and if people are happy wearing the full works it's no ones business but their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

How do you know she looks worse with it on? Is it that you hate fake tan full stop or just badly applied fake tan? How do you feel about normal tans?

I'm not answering for feamainn, but personally, I don't like normal tans all that much either. Personally, I'll go out of my way to try and not get tanned, but unfortunately I tan rather easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 feamainn

"Nowadays"? You're only 18!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

How do you know she looks worse with it on? Is it that you hate fake tan full stop or just badly applied fake tan? How do you feel about normal tans?

I know what fake tan looks like, that's how. For some people a bit of colour is inevitable but factor 50 is needed. Want to stay beautiful for a good while.

I just don't like or understand the point of tanning. People do it out of insecurity social conditioning. Would people do it "for themselves" if they lived in the times when pale skin was the ideal? I think people who accept themselves as they are are happier and thus their physical beauty is enhanced by their inner beauty. My opinion. Do what yiz want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Theres a difference between having nice clear pale skin like snow whites that youre referring to and blotchy pinkish non clear skin + freckles which most us native irish have.

nothing wrong with freckles

Maybe Irish girls go for the fake tan because they hate being called pasty? It's a case of pasty or orange, either way it's ammo to knock them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

nokia69 wrote: »

Yeah, freckles are cool. I'd love to have them. I got the pasty white skin with 0 freckles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

nokia69 wrote: »

I always wanted to have freckles, but my skin just refuses to do them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Well I am delighted that my child has OH's lovely pale Irish skin with cheeks that go adorably pink in the cold, rather than my sallowy complexion! Why anyone would intentionally purchase a product which the sole purpose of is to make them look orange or yellow is beyond me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I know what fake tan looks like, that's how. For some people a bit of colour is inevitable but factor 50 is needed. Want to stay beautiful for a good while.

I just don't like or understand the point of tanning. People do it out of insecurity social conditioning. Would people do it "for themselves" if they lived in the times when pale skin was the ideal? I think people who accept themselves as they are are happier and thus their physical beauty is enhanced by their inner beauty. My opinion. Do what yiz want.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.:)

People can be very secure in how they look but want to look their best (what they perceive to be their best). You wear make up, don't you? Non make up wearers could easily proclaim that you're insecure and should simply let your inner beauty shine through and you're make up is just a mask to hide your true self blah blah and I'm sure you don't agree.

People's motivations for doing what they do differ from person to person.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

I always laugh when I see people writing about the beautiful milky skin they claim a lot of Irish girls cover. From my own personal experience, most girls with pale skin are blotchy and have a rather blue tone to their skin, especially in winter. I myself have a majestic farmers tan from years of growing up on a farm :D
    The actresses mentioned by one poster such as Saoirse Ronan wear body makeup to give them that flawless white complexion. Isnt that just another form of cover up? Yet these women are lauded for being more authentically beautiful than fake tanned counterparts.
    There's also the fact that what men give out about and what they go for on nights out are two different things. My pale red headed friend had lads openly laugh at her and tell her to put on a bit of fake tan on nights out.
    The reality is that tan does make people look slimmer and more defined. When I was younger I used to tan, now I don't as I cant be arsed, but if I wanted to I would. The opinion of those like the OP doesnt matter to me anymore, you cant win if you try to please people, so pleasing yourself by doing whatever makes you feel confident is the only way.
    I just find these threads to be bashing people just for the sake of it. Live and let live ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Fake tan (or real tan) does not make people look slimmer. Exercise and a decent diet do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I can't say I've seen many girls with excessive fake tan lately. Maybe it depends on where you go. I ventured into the big shmoke once, in particular The Wright Venue, and it was like a photo shoot for a you've been tangoed commercial. Orange women everywhere posing for photos - it was fecking mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Fake tan (or real tan) does not make people look slimmer. Exercise and a decent diet do!

What you said is true of course, but a tanned physique shows more muscle tone, there is a reason why bodybuilders are mahogony! Obviously anyone heavier wont have a lot of muscle tone anyway but it can lead to a slight slimming effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yes tan does show more muscle tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Love cremey white women ummmm just like me pint of Guinness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I always laugh when I see people writing about the beautiful milky skin they claim a lot of Irish girls cover. From my own personal experience, most girls with pale skin are blotchy and have a rather blue tone to their skin, especially in winter. I myself have a majestic farmers tan from years of growing up on a farm :D
    The actresses mentioned by one poster such as Saoirse Ronan wear body makeup to give them that flawless white complexion. Isnt that just another form of cover up? Yet these women are lauded for being more authentically beautiful than fake tanned counterparts.
    There's also the fact that what men give out about and what they go for on nights out are two different things. My pale red headed friend had lads openly laugh at her and tell her to put on a bit of fake tan on nights out.
    The reality is that tan does make people look slimmer and more defined. When I was younger I used to tan, now I don't as I cant be arsed, but if I wanted to I would. The opinion of those like the OP doesnt matter to me anymore, you cant win if you try to please people, so pleasing yourself by doing whatever makes you feel confident is the only way.
    I just find these threads to be bashing people just for the sake of it. Live and let live ffs.
    Jesus does any guy look at a girl with fake tan n say. Jesus her tanned skins amazein. So natural! Com on. Its wotever she's comfortable doin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The one thing I do not like is this whole contouring thing. A little bit is okay ya but some girls actually look like they've smudged muck on their faces, they look dirty and unwashed. Give me fresh faced freckily skin with naturally applied make up any day over that fake muck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I always laugh when I see people writing about the beautiful milky skin they claim a lot of Irish girls cover. From my own personal experience, most girls with pale skin are blotchy and have a rather blue tone to their skin, especially in winter.
    Hmmm...

Because most men haven't a clue what well applied minimal make up looks like.

I went through 4 years of University wearing make up every day only to be told recently by an old college flame who was with me everyday that he'd always assumed I was a no make up, fresh faced, au naturel girl.
    Bingo. And men wouldn't have need to know about make-up when they don't wear it - nothing wrong with that.
    But in the cases where they prefer the woman without make-up, she probably has really good skin and/or huge eyes and long eyelashes anyway.

It's easy to hone how to make a bit of make-up look like you're not wearing any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I only wear make-up if I'm specifically going to an event requiring me to dress up. My skin is all the better for it. Only ever used fake tan twice in my life and my skin flared up on it so I know I'm sensitive to it. I personally prefer being pale and interesting- I have pitch black hair and milky skin and I much prefer to work with what I have rather than try to be an Oompa Loompa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Very pale myself but I never bother to wear fake tan, or at least not in Ireland. The only time I would wear it is if I'm on holidays in a hot country so I don't stick out like a...well like a very pale Irish woman on the beach. Then I wear a moisturising very light self tanner in a shade that is flattering and subtle on my skin with no hint of orange-as verified by friends and family!

How some manage to convince themselves that a liberal coat of day glo orange gunk or something that looks like you would lacquer a garden fence with will beautify them is a mystery to me-no mirrors? that ALWAYS looks fake and nasty.

I think it's far better to accept and embrace the paleness, wear subtle make up to enhance one's features rather than hide them, and create a unique and interesting look rather than try to blend in with the herd with fake tan, gel nails, plastered on make-up, everything on show at once-tits and legs out, hooker heels and so on.

Someone mentioned French women- like it or not they DO know how to dress better and look classier than many Irish women and they look after themselves more with their diet.

That said there are of course many Irish women who do look gorgeous (me being one of them of course :pac: ha, I wish...), and people are free to plaster as much make up and self tan on as they wish. And I'm free to inwardly judge you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

McChubbin wrote: »
    I have pitch black hair and milky skin and I much prefer to work with what I have rather than try to be an Oompa Loompa.

Good for you. I think that combination is beautiful FWIW, especially with a slash of red lippie and dark eyeliner.

McChubbin wrote: »
    I have pitch black hair and milky skin and I much prefer to work with what I have
    Same here, apart from my legs which do look very pasty and washed-out, so tights ftw.

I know it's being viewed as bitchy but I think it's a shame when women with pale skin that suits them are so repulsed by it. I'm not talking about bluey-white skin being given a bit of a glow, but healthy-looking creamy skin looks as good as brown skin. Well applied fake tan looks great on skin that's in between pale and brown though, IMO.

I think the same about certain uses of make-up too - whatever about a little bit to accentuate features, it comes across as OTT to cake one's face in it to the point of being unrecognisable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Greentopia wrote: »
    Good for you. I think that combination is beautiful FWIW, especially with a slash of red lippie and dark eyeliner.

Next to no women can actually pull off and look good with red lipstick I think, it's cringeworthy on a lot of them to be honest. Agree with the rest, though, as long as the dark eyeliner isn't over done and makeup is kept minimal/natural looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Red lipstick can look amazing on a lot of women. You see, that's the funny thing. Everything is subjective. Everyone has their own opinions. Just because something isn't attractive to you doesn't mean it isn't to another person

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Red lipstick can look amazing on a lot of women. You see, that's the funny thing. Everything is subjective. Everyone has their own opinions. Just because something isn't attractive to you doesn't mean it isn't to another person

Lol, what a pointless post. My post is obviously only my opinion as are basically everyone's posts on forums, nowhere in it did I speak or attempt to speak for anyone else so continue with your little tangeant of a post if you want. I even specifically said "I think" in the OP.

• Advertisement

Lol, what a pointless post. My post is obviously only my opinion as are basically everyone's posts on forums, nowhere in it did I speak or attempt to speak for anyone else so continue with your little tangeants if you want.

Maybe you should have a biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Lol, what a pointless post. My post is obviously only my opinion as are basically everyone's posts on forums, nowhere in it did I speak or attempt to speak for anyone else so continue with your little tangeant of a post if you want. I even specifically said "I think" in the OP.

Sorry Karl Lagerfeld

I'm surprised, really, with all the men in here giving fashion/beauty advice to be honest. Id be surprised if half of them even owned a mirror themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Agree with OP. I have really pale skin and I refuse point blank to wear fake tan. I absolutely refuse to buy into it. I think we are a certain way and that is what suits us best. I have no insecurities about how I look and whereas I do wear some makeup, that is more to accentuate what I already have - I draw the line at looking like an oopma loompa! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Next to no women can actually pull off and look good with red lipstick I think, it's cringeworthy on a lot of them to be honest. Agree with the rest, though, as long as the dark eyeliner isn't over done and makeup is kept minimal/natural looking.

I usually follow the rule of thumb that says you can make up one at a time. So, no problem doing smokey eyes with kohl etc if I keep my lips clean. Similarly, wouldn't have a problem wearing some extra red lipstick if eye makeup was minimal. It's when you try to do both that it can look a bit ott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm a ride with or without make up tbh.

Body make up is just there to even out skin tone though. Fake tan changes your colour thus covering your skin instead of evening out and accentuating it.
    Fake tan does not make anybody look slimmer omg. Do people realise what a ridiculous statement that is?
    This thread wasn't even bashing people are you joking me?

• Advertisement

Fake tan does not make anybody look slimmer omg. Do people realise what a ridiculous statement that is?

Google it and you'll soon find that it's not all that ridiculous a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Sorry Karl Lagerfeld

I'm surprised, really, with all the men in here giving fashion/beauty advice to be honest. Id be surprised if half of them even owned a mirror themselves

What's your problem Lexie? This thread seems to have you riled up. You usually seem really positive and nice. Here's a hug - ewwww shirt ruined :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hey.... at least we can walk in the shoes we buy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Could the pettiness between a few posters please stop?

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I've had that too, "jeez you look exhausted", it's usually both men and women though and it's not that uncommon. If people are used to seeing you looking polished and flawless every day, it can be a shock to see an uneven skin tone and blemishes and bags under the eyes and all the stuff that makeup conceals. Naturally the instinct is that you're a bit under the weather.

It's back to that thing of 'men prefer a natural face over a makeuped one'. LOLZ lads, seriously. I don't look like someone who wears a lot of makeup - when I first got with the OH he was amazed when I'd disappear into the bathroom for 30 minutes before leaving the house - "what the hell are you doing in there?" "Making myself look 'natural' love". It reminds me of Tina Fey at the Golden Globes last week - "I spent three hours today prepping for my role as a human woman".

I love my makeup but I think it's just as important to feel comfortable and confident going without it. I suffered with terrible skin for years and years so that simply wasn't an option, but now that my skin is in relatively decent condition, I've started trying to wear lighter stuff - EG tinted moisturizer and a lick of mascara - instead of the heavier stuff that hides more and leads to these massive reactions when I don't bother with it. Spending time outdoors as well and drinking loads and loads of water is great for the complexion.

beks101 wrote: »
    It's back to that thing of 'men prefer a natural face over a makeuped one'. LOLZ lads, seriously.

I have a friend who genuinely does prefer no make up. He finds me much more attractive without it - even though I most certainly am not. I don't look all that different with make up like, but I definitely look better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I have a friend who genuinely does prefer no make up. He finds me much more attractive without it - even though I most certainly am not. I don't look all that different with make up like, but I definitely look better!

I can categorically state that I look better with makeup. I don't look like an ogre without, I have a nice face generally but the main features are highlighted with the aul war paint. Bigger eyes, clearer skin tone, longer lashes etc. The OH god love him doesn't care either way as I tend to not wear it at home or on my days off, but I definitely notice a peak in male attention generally when I am made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I only ever wear fake tan for big events like weddings, hen nights and work Christmas parties. I really couldn't be bothered other than that.

I never was one of those women who just can't bare to be seen without tan or make-up, I'm not that vain. I do wear make-up of course, I just don't feel the need to plaster it on nor do I panic if I don't have to do it in the morning.

IMO tango-ing yourself and caking on make-up is not and never will be a good look and it's just beyond why so many women seem to think that it is.

I never was one of those women who just can't bare to be seen without tan or make-up, I'm not that vain.

I don't think it's always about being vain, for a lot of people they actually lack confidence or have low self esteem.

I go to the gym at 6:30 am and there is a woman who has just started who wears full make up. I don't think she's vain at all. I just think she's really not comfortable enough in her own skin to be seen without it. It's such a pity that anyone feels like that, it really is :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

So the girls all say make-up is needed. All the guys are trying to tell them its not but being told they just dont understand what they are talking about. And the world keeps turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I only wear make up when I'm dressing up. It's part of the outfit and will be either subtle or out there depending on where I'm going. I don't do it for any other reason than it makes me feel good. If people don't like it that's fair enough but the only opinion that matters is mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I don't mind leaving the house without make up.
    Its the people who point it out.
    "Are you sick/tired" all the time
    "You look awful" "you've awful bags under your eyes"
    :( it really increases the pressure to wear make up daily just so no one thinks I'm on the verge of death/illness

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement