Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish women hiding their beauty?

Comments

Peist2007 wrote: »
    So the girls all say make-up is needed. All the guys are trying to tell them its not but being told they just dont understand what they are talking about. And the world keeps turning.

I think you'll find a lot of the women are saying that while often men prefer the more natural look, some make up makes them look better, it's just that often men are unaware of the difference. It's evident in the comments about how tired or sick they look when they wear none that some women look better with make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My only issue with fake tan is that 9 times out of 10 it looks fake. Now i know everyone will say "i am an expert at applying it and you'd never know!" but in my experience, you do. Dyed hair and push up bras are also obvious but not as noticeably so for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

This post has been deleted.

In fairness I've seen cases of both, and I also think it can be down to peer pressure, intentional or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I think you'll find a lot of the women are saying that while often men prefer the more natural look, some make up makes them look better, it's just that often men are unaware of the difference. It's evident in the comments about how tired or sick they look when they wear none that some women look better with make up.

Is that not exactly what i said? Men want the natural look but women are telling them they dont understand that the natural look that men think they're looking at was never natural in the first place?

Is that not exactly what i said? Men want the natural look but women are telling them they dont understand that the natural look that men think they're looking at was never natural in the first place?

Nope. That's not exactly what you said :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Nope. That's not exactly what you said :)

Ha smart ass :D

Ha smart ass :D

Why thank you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

Fake tan is gross and so are those talon nails, massive fake eyelashes and no pubic hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mrolaf wrote: »
    Fake tan is gross and so are those talon nails, massive fake eyelashes and no pubic hair.

Why does other people's lack of pubic hair upset you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

only wear fake tan on weddings etc dont like fake nails but thats me fake eye lashes blind the bejesus out of me and no pubic hair cant be going around with a big bush so thats the only one I disagree on :D oh and i do wear make up only foundation and mascara during the week most of the time and weekends id wear full makeup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I don't wear make in work or going to the shops and stuff. I always wear it going out and instant tan too if I need it. It makes me feel good about myself. Some of the comments in this thread towards women who wear makeup and pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I can guarantee most women get more male attention when they're wearing make-up (apart from when it looks like clown-face) than when they're not. This is why "Women look better without make-up" gets disputed. It's not a go at guys, I'd say most guys, when they say that, mean women look better without caking themselves in cement-like stuff, which I agree with.
    Really beautiful women with flawless skin look better (or as good) without make-up all right, but average-looking folk can make themselves look stunning with even just a bit of make-up.

Red lipstick does look awful on me even though I have black hair and pale skin. Too bright. Winey/purpley lipstick looks better on me.
    My only issue with fake tan is that 9 times out of 10 it looks fake. Now i know everyone will say "i am an expert at applying it and you'd never know!" but in my experience, you do.
    But you don't know when it's on if it's applied correctly, so you're only referring to the times when it looks fake rather than both when it looks fake and when it looks natural.
    I'm not a fan of fake tan at all, but a lot of my friends wear it and you genuinely would not know - only for them telling me. Get a good brand, apply it properly and sparingly, and all it is is a subtle glow which reduces pastiness. It is rotten though when caked on and the wrong tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Ah here! What's wrong with no pubes?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So irish women seem to be big fans of FT....should irish men follow suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

So irish women seem to be big fans of FT....should irish men follow suit?

Sure why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

beks101 wrote: »

hahahhaa:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 feamainn

Okay just to clarify, I never said that I think makeup is bad. I said excessive makeup that doesn't even match your skin tone and makes you look dirty is not a good look and I said that most girls are truly beautiful underneath it. Also people saying men don't have a clue is slightly true but they know what they like. Obviously they prefer the natural look over caked makeup and they're allowed to say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

feamainn wrote: »
    Okay just to clarify, I never said that I think makeup is bad. I said excessive makeup that doesn't even match your skin tone and makes you look dirty is not a good look and I said that most girls are truly beautiful underneath it. Also people saying men don't have a clue is slightly true but they know what they like. Obviously they prefer the natural look over caked makeup and they're allowed to say so.

Agree. Caked on layers of makeup just looks a bit dirty or something. Heavy makeup is just not very attractive but I'm a man so what do I know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Agree. Caked on layers of makeup just looks a bit dirty or something. Heavy makeup is just not very attractive but I'm a man so what do I know?
    I think lots of women would agree with you (I certainly do) - it's when men equate any bit of make-up at all with the above that they come across as not having a clue.
    The most desired famous women, like Jessica Alba and Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman - in all those pictures of them that make men desire them so much... they're wearin' make-up. They're beautiful women anyway, but light, well applied make-up doesn't disimprove them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

namloc1980 wrote: »

Like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is there really though? I feel like this is played up by women a lot more than it actually is. Who is telling you to wear makeup? who's telling you you look ugly when you don't? Because Ive sure as hell never seen a man tell a woman she looked awful for not wearing makeup.

Prevailing trends aren't spoken explicitly- they appear as societal memes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I never fail to be surprised at the range of ways women manage to over-decorate such a classy design.

Au naturel gets my vote every time. Maybe one day it'll be more than just the preserve of lesbians, miscreants, and the fabulously lazy. You may say I'm a dreamer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I've lived outside Ireland for years. When I visit I am always struck by the sheer volume of makeup that so many Irish women wear, and the
    ubiquitousness of the fake tan.
    Weddings in particular seem to bring out this look.
    Less really is more where makeup is concerned, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Why does other people's lack of pubic hair upset you?

Cause it's brilliant, and I am sad to see it go :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Make up and fake tan - don't even get me started on the those girls that literally have hair extensions dripping out of their heads. Hardly a nice natural look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

ratmouse wrote: »
    Make up and fake tan - don't even get me started on the those girls that literally have hair extensions dripping out of their heads. Hardly a nice natural look!

I'm imagining hair extensions "dripping"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

From my liberal arts studies, it may be propositioned that the reason behind it is a subversive subconcious decision against the British imperials who ruled over Ireland. They wear fake tan so they feel like they are continental, beyond the confines of the Empire, so fake tan is a form of rebellion, the reasons why it is worn by Irish women, their celtic desires burning in their heart, although it may be unknownst to them, deep rooted in the annals of Irish, the idea of being "Beyond the Pale".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭DeclanJWhite

beks101 - lol at 'a peak in male attention' :-D

Also, OP, your hostility to fake tan sounds like you're getting ready with curiosity for your first application! :-P I have no doubt you will look glowing! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Fitness Motivation

Hi Guys

Hope I am in the right thread for advice but my friend is thinking about getting cosmetic surgery. She doesn't like the way she looks in pictures on Facebook and I think if she does it that she should base it more than peoples perception of her on social media.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know of any thread as I would love to get a perspective of someone in the same position. I myself hate people taking pictures as many ladies can identify with but do you think that cosmetic surgery is the way to go if you are unhappy with your appearance online?

I really feel social media has increased insecurities among a lot of young men and women especially with all these air brushed celebrities out there.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hi Guys

Hope I am in the right thread for advice but my friend is thinking about getting cosmetic surgery. She doesn't like the way she looks in pictures on Facebook and I think if she does it that she should base it more than peoples perception of her on social media.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know of any thread as I would love to get a perspective of someone in the same position. I myself hate people taking pictures as many ladies can identify with but do you think that cosmetic surgery is the way to go if you are unhappy with your appearance online?

I really feel social media has increased insecurities among a lot of young men and women especially with all these air brushed celebrities out there.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks much appreciated
    Im the exact same. I used to be very insecure but Ive just come to terms with the fact that I'm not a supermodel and never will be I'm a lot more confident about my looks! But is she sure she doesn't like how she looks? Maybe she just doesn't come across well in photos? I hate how I look in photos, but I saw some videos of myself during my insecure phase and was really happy to see how much better I look on video that photos, which is a much better representation of how you look in real life. has she seen videos of herself? She probably looks better in it than in photos on Facebook and this could help her feel more comfortable with her looks.

Also theres nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery. people have this ridiculous belief that you'll turn out looking plastic , fake and strange looking if you get a nosejob etc but you won't. these are trained professionals, nobody would go to them if they didn't do good jobs. If you know anyone who looks like they had surgery its because they used a bad surgeon. I know several people who look much better after having plastic surgery so I find the stigma surrounding it very annoying. If she has the money to spare, let her go for it. If it means she will be under financial pressure because of it, try and help her focus on her good features and how she might be able to improve her looks overall so she can be more comfortable with herself.

I despair of anyone who is prompted to go under the knife, because of how they think they look on facebook.

Perhaps she should be encouraged to spend less time on Facebook before she's encouraged to irreversibly alter herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

From my liberal arts studies, it may be propositioned that the reason behind it is a subversive subconcious decision against the British imperials who ruled over Ireland. They wear fake tan so they feel like they are continental, beyond the confines of the Empire, so fake tan is a form of rebellion, the reasons why it is worn by Irish women, their celtic desires burning in their heart, although it may be unknownst to them, deep rooted in the annals of Irish, the idea of being "Beyond the Pale".

First of all, liberal arts, :pac:

Second: Wut? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Also theres nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery. people have this ridiculous belief that you'll turn out looking plastic , fake and strange looking if you get a nosejob etc but you won't.

Have you had a look at Lisa Murphy lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

feamainn wrote: »
    There are really so many gorgeous girls that just in my opinion, can't accept being Irish??? It's like they go around trying to look like Kim Kardashian or Beyoncé and it just does not work. Imagine Rihanna trying to look like a Scandinavian girl. She would look like ****e. Her beauty is hers. Think of the Irish women who are known internationally as beautiful, Saoirse Ronan, Sarah Bolger, Tara Lee, Katie Mcgrath or even the Scottish actress Karren Gillain. None of them try to look like something they're not. They all embrace and accentuate their Celtic beauty and that's why they're so gorgeous!
    Can't we at least boycott fake tan. Sometimes it's not too bad but it never,NEVER looks natural and everyone looks better without it. Even foreigners think it looks bad and our own men aren't fans either.

From what I see, Irish women receive constant messages from Irish men that they're ugly and bland, and that foreign women - Americans, Eastern European, etc - are way better. Boards.ie is actually one of the places where men are most explicit and honest about it. Then when Irish women try to change themselves with make-up and fake tan, they're still made fun of. Lose-lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

deep rooted in the annals of Irish, the idea of being "Beyond the Pale".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Make-up or not, Irish women are blessed with uncommon beauty...like a sunset or a ceramic donkey made by a special needs child in arts & crafts class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

folamh wrote: »
    From what I see, Irish women receive constant messages from Irish men that they're ugly and bland, and that foreign women - Americans, Eastern European, etc - are way better. Boards.ie is actually one of the places where men are most explicit and honest about it. Then when Irish women try to change themselves with make-up and fake tan, they're still made fun of. Lose-lose.

That is normal - with few exceptions, men will almost invariably find foreign women more attractive than their own; It's just that we are essentially built to unconsciously look for the most different possible gene pool.

As a confirmation, a lot of foreigners myself included, find Irish women to be, on average, quite on the attractive side. Fair skin, blue/green eyes, soft facial features...essentially what would be defined the "classical beauty". Also, if I have to be honest they tend to be quite tall and leggy when compared to most other Western Europeans.

As for the makeup/fake tan story, I do acknowledge that there are quite a bit of exaggerations around - fake tan especially is something I can't understand. You do see women who essentially look orange, and whose fake eyelashes could cause a category 5 storm if they fluttered them too quickly. Yes, they do look like they ran away from a circus or something :D

However, I would never put everything in the same basket. Makeup, shoes and clothes are what essentially make men and women different in the most discernible way, as long as it's not taken to an extreme like a 7 years old playing with mommy's beauty case.

Oh and it works both ways; How many women find the idea of a guy who takes 2 hours to get ready attractive? How many would be happy if their partner regularly wore eyeliner? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It's only when you go away do you realise how ugly Irish women are. Big fat arse's, Penny's best and a pair of fcuk me boots. State of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Faith+1 wrote: »
    It's only when you go away do you realise how ugly Irish women are. Big fat arse's, Penny's best and a pair of fcuk me boots. State of them.

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

When I watch pop videos, TV clips etc from 80's Ireland, I think people are a lot better looking (albeit with questionable style, but then everybody did back then). I think it's a lot to do with eating rubbish today. That and fake tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Make-up or not, Irish women are blessed with uncommon beauty...like a sunset or a ceramic donkey made by a special needs child in arts & crafts class.
    The lol makes me forgive you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fitness Motivation

Im the exact same. I used to be very insecure but Ive just come to terms with the fact that I'm not a supermodel and never will be I'm a lot more confident about my looks! But is she sure she doesn't like how she looks? Maybe she just doesn't come across well in photos? I hate how I look in photos, but I saw some videos of myself during my insecure phase and was really happy to see how much better I look on video that photos, which is a much better representation of how you look in real life. has she seen videos of herself? She probably looks better in it than in photos on Facebook and this could help her feel more comfortable with her looks.

Also theres nothing wrong with cosmetic surgery. people have this ridiculous belief that you'll turn out looking plastic , fake and strange looking if you get a nosejob etc but you won't. these are trained professionals, nobody would go to them if they didn't do good jobs. If you know anyone who looks like they had surgery its because they used a bad surgeon. I know several people who look much better after having plastic surgery so I find the stigma surrounding it very annoying. If she has the money to spare, let her go for it. If it means she will be under financial pressure because of it, try and help her focus on her good features and how she might be able to improve her looks overall so she can be more comfortable with herself.

I don't know if she actually has seen herself on video but that is a good point, I might try to take a sneaky video and see how that goes:) Personally I cant see her going through with it and honestly I don't think she needs to but sure its the same with fitness these days to be photo ready which from that point of view is not a bad thing as long as people are healthy. I just would hate for her to go through with something she might regret.

Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it :)

I am glad that you are now more confident in yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

It's a bit sad that many Irish women feel the need to look non-Irish. It's their loss, they just end up losing their unique appeal. I'm crap at describing beauty but there is something about a natural Irish woman this is incredibly attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

CruelCoin wrote: »
    First of all, liberal arts, :pac:

Second: Wut? :confused:
    Yes, you mock my qualifications how dare you?!

The structuralist and post-structuralist, the signifier and the signified.

I merrily was explaining the thesis behind an unbridled post-colonialist history which lingers on in modern society in the form of girls wearing fake tan.
    You might say that there existed the notorious black and tans which would challenge my hypothesis and that is indeed a matter worthy of consideration, but I don't have time to entertain such notions, I've got netflix to watch, those series won't watch themselves you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

But surely their personality makes up for it....? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

But surely their personality makes up for it....? ;)

Well I might of went ott in my previous comment, apologies. But you'd find more personality in a parsnip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Well I might of went ott in my previous comment, apologies. But you'd find more personality in a parsnip.

Ah, don't be so hard on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

+1

But considering they are orange, don't you mean a carrot?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement