Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water softeners

Options
  • 17-01-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

wondering if anyone can recommend a company to purchase an undersink water softener system ? one to treat all the water that will be used in house
    and an idea of price too please ?

Comments

Not sure if I can post company names here but the crew that installed mine were very professional and did very tidy work

I got an external softener that sits outside the kitchen window in a little cabinet as I wanted something that would do the whole house supply. Takes about 4 bags of salt a year, 7.50 a bag, and almost nothing in electricity over the course of a year.

I also got a water filtration system that sits under the sink. This takes the softened water and filters it for drinking. They were also happy to split the supply from that to a separate tap and to the supply for chilled water and ice in the fridge. The taste is lovely and pure and the water is so clear. One thing I love about it is it barely makes a sound whereas the mothers one is really irritating to listen to when it's refilling.

The price for the lot was 1200 eur. Pm me if you want the details

The one bit of advice I would give is to fully research the specs of any system recommended for you including power consumption, purge/flush frequency, capacity, warranty (should be at least 20 yrs), options to modify settings etc etc etc. As you research, you will find 3 big names in terms of manufacturers, stick to those.

One last thing, at the time I got mine done there were some awful cowboys around selling some terrible systems, so make sure you get references and do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Why are you looking to put in one of these systems? Is it well water you need treating? Have you tested the water to see what needs treating? Sorry for all the questions but you are better off knowing what needs to be treated before you get a company in.
    I got Galway Water Solutions to install my system around 8yrs ago. I had a lot of sulphur (rotten egg smell) in my well water and they where able to get rid of the smell. System running fine. The cost of the system will depend a lot on what needs to be treated.
    If you have your water tested then companies will be able to give you a good estimate. I think my system cost around €3000 give or take a few hundred. You also need to look at the cost of servicing the system. Servicing is around €150 - €200 yearly. I have a full water treatment system as well as an RO system under the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

aido76 wrote: »
    Why are you looking to put in one of these systems? Is it well water you need treating? Have you tested the water to see what needs treating? Sorry for all the questions but you are better off knowing what needs to be treated before you get a company in.
    I got Galway Water Solutions to install my system around 8yrs ago. I had a lot of sulphur (rotten egg smell) in my well water and they where able to get rid of the smell. System running fine. The cost of the system will depend a lot on what needs to be treated.
    If you have your water tested then companies will be able to give you a good estimate. I think my system cost around €3000 give or take a few hundred. You also need to look at the cost of servicing the system. Servicing is around €150 - €200 yearly. I have a full water treatment system as well as an RO system under the sink.
    no its mains water but its hard and is ruining the showers and I'm sure other appliances! so it's just to soften it

That's a good point I forgot to make, do get your water tested first. I had only hard water issues to deal with

Since it seems OK to mention company names, I used GWS also for my system

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Looking for a system also for hard water before it starts to harm appliances and heating system. Glass on shower enclosure getting stained so I am anxious to get a system installed asap. Just getting down to researching it now. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Can you pm me what system the galway crowd installed and your thoughts on same, good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Grogsy

We used a guy called Hugh Ryan that works in Galway/Clare, because others on our road had used him over the years with no complaints. Would highly recommend him. Very nice guy too. I think his number is 087 997 4019, but I can double check for if you want when I get home this evening. Just let me know. I can't add links in my posts, but put "www" in front of this text for a short article I found on him just now: aquaphor.ie/hugh-ryan/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Not sure if I can post company names here but the crew that installed mine were very professional and did very tidy work

I got an external softener that sits outside the kitchen window in a little cabinet as I wanted something that would do the whole house supply. Takes about 4 bags of salt a year, 7.50 a bag, and almost nothing in electricity over the course of a year.

I also got a water filtration system that sits under the sink. This takes the softened water and filters it for drinking. They were also happy to split the supply from that to a separate tap and to the supply for chilled water and ice in the fridge. The taste is lovely and pure and the water is so clear. One thing I love about it is it barely makes a sound whereas the mothers one is really irritating to listen to when it's refilling.

The price for the lot was 1200 eur. Pm me if you want the details

The one bit of advice I would give is to fully research the specs of any system recommended for you including power consumption, purge/flush frequency, capacity, warranty (should be at least 20 yrs), options to modify settings etc etc etc. As you research, you will find 3 big names in terms of manufacturers, stick to those.

One last thing, at the time I got mine done there were some awful cowboys around selling some terrible systems, so make sure you get references and do your research.

I got the exact same system as this in my house lasy year. My bro got the same after I recommended to him. Lower price but I bargained hard! Excellent company and guy that did the work was very neat and tidy. PM for details if wanted.

Also I am in Galway but my bro is in sligo. They cover all Connacht as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 oxomoxo

I got EWT's Gold Series system installed 3 months ago and haven't seen limescale in our home since. Great system and great company to deal with. I even got a water hardness test kit free and a drinking system with the order so i check my water to make sure the system is working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

Grogsy wrote: »
    We used a guy called Hugh Ryan that works in Galway/Clare, because others on our road had used him over the years with no complaints. Would highly recommend him. Very nice guy too. I think his number is 087 997 4019, but I can double check for if you want when I get home this evening. Just let me know. I can't add links in my posts, but put "www" in front of this text for a short article I found on him just now: aquaphor.ie/hugh-ryan/

Good choice Grogsy, I am proud to know Hugh Ryan over the years, and I can say over the last 20 or so years Hugh has earned the title of Ireland's best water treatment operator and notably the best accepted peer to peer installer by all the top operators within the water treatment trade and a decent chap to boot.

Hugh is as down to earth as you can get and the extreme opposite to so called "gold plated" "last minute sale bargain" operators selling downsized cheap chinese time bombs, hiding in offices half way across the country, instead Hugh offers first class Clack systems and Aquaphor filters installed at the best rates and with effortless first class quality work. He is on 087 997 4019 and see www.aquaphor.ie/news/

Hugh surveys, installs and services, always the main point of contact with clients, friendly at all times and most people he meets are in stitches with his banter and lightning wit, he puts the customer first at all times and once a customer a customer for life.

Unfortunately for the rest of the country Hugh only works close to his customer base in order to be there for them at short notice, covering Galway County and a little beyond. Most engineers and architects in Galway that know most of the best plumbers in Galway, will all know Hugh when it comes to those jobs that have to be done right.

For the toughest water treatment challenges in Ireland, Hugh teams together with a crack squad of water experts, and for those jobs thought impossible, depending on distance many "wells from hell" are easily tackled if other operators shy away, and a guarantee is needed of a long list of referrals of record breaking jobs previously conquered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement