Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Cavity Wall Insulation fix this?

Options
  • 17-01-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

absolutely fed up with mould growing on our outer walls inside our house. It must be the hot central heating hitting the cold wall. We have outside vents in the rooms and when we are cooking or showering we keep the doors closed and open up the window and put the cooker hood on and we also have a dehumidifier in the house. Its a Bungalow, built in late 70's I would say. Block, not brick built with cement plaster render on the outside

- would cavity wall insulation cure this and warm the walls up? can even cavity wall insulation be applied to this house? i have been up in the loft and from what i can see its that polystyrene aeroboard thats in between the inner and outer blocks of the outside walls. - This house we live in is rented by the way we dont own it, but maybe if someone says cavity wall insulation will cure the problem maybe I could suggest it to the landlord and see if they would get it done. Thanks.

This is the mould growing in my lads room at the moment but its the same in other rooms in the house:
    9c78f38e-1403-4805-993e-f611feb76a34.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

absolutely fed up with mould growing on our outer walls inside our house. It must be the hot central heating hitting the cold wall. We have outside vents in the rooms and when we are cooking or showering we keep the doors closed and open up the window and put the cooker hood on and we also have a dehumidifier in the house. Its a Bungalow, built in late 70's I would say. Block, not brick built with cement plaster render on the outside

- would cavity wall insulation cure this and warm the walls up? can even cavity wall insulation be applied to this house? i have been up in the loft and from what i can see its that polystyrene aeroboard thats in between the inner and outer blocks of the outside walls. - This house we live in is rented by the way we dont own it, but maybe if someone says cavity wall insulation will cure the problem maybe I could suggest it to the landlord and see if they would get it done. Thanks.

This is the mould growing in my lads room at the moment but its the same in other rooms in the house:
    1. I wouldn't live in a house with that mould growth.
    2. This is your landlords problem, not yours.
    3. If there is already insulation boards in the cavity, it clearly isn't working (probably not fitted properly against the inner blockleaf). Therefore pumping the cavity with insulation will be of little use as the already installed board will block its effectiveness.
    4. How long are you in the house and has it always had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

this is forming above my lads bed - cant be healthy breathing in this stuff every night:
    0ab9ebbd-dd64-4b5a-a0ba-45d5f26cba67.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MicktheMan wrote: »
    1. I wouldn't live in a house with that mould growth.
    2. This is your landlords problem, not yours.
    3. If there is already insulation boards in the cavity, it clearly isn't working (probably not fitted properly against the inner blockleaf). Therefore pumping the cavity with insulation will be of little use as the already installed board will block its effectiveness.
    4. How long are you in the house and has it always had this problem?

Been living here not a year yet this is our first winter here. Be a year in June 2015 that we would have been in this house - of course when we looked at it in June 2014 it was summer and not a bit of mould showing at all , so either the mould was cleaned or painted over i reckon. We even made a point of not pushing the wardrobe or beds straight close up to the wall so air can circulate freely - I dont know how else we can avoid this. Even if we wipe it with mould cleaner spray its gonna come back again isnt it? the walls are freezing to the touch, it must be the hot central heating air hitting the cold wall and condensating i reckon on the surface.

Advertisement