Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Move from Ireland to New Zealand

• 17-01-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me on moving home to NZ.

I came to Ireland on a working holiday nearly 9 years ago and ended up meeting my now husband, and we now have a nearly 6 month old baby boy.

We were back in NZ recently to show off our baby to my family and he absolutely thrived there. We were planning on being in NZ for him to start school but think we may go sooner now, mainly because my family is a lot bigger and a lot more interested in him. He loves the company of his numerous cousins there.

Both my son and I are NZ citizens, my husband is just an Irish citizen, so we'd need to apply for PR for him. We've been together for over 7 years now, and married for over 5. We are not entirely sure of when we'd be able to move back due to complications with a boom time house purchase, and what to do with that. Is it possible to apply for PR now and activate it on our yearly visit to NZ if we don't manage to make it back permanently before then?

With regards to shipping, are there any recommendations for shipping companies? We'd possibly be shipping all our furniture - 2 beds, sofa, dining table, drawers and cabinets. Has anyone shipped their car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Rua1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me on moving home to NZ.

I came to Ireland on a working holiday nearly 9 years ago and ended up meeting my now husband, and we now have a nearly 6 month old baby boy.

We were back in NZ recently to show off our baby to my family and he absolutely thrived there. We were planning on being in NZ for him to start school but think we may go sooner now, mainly because my family is a lot bigger and a lot more interested in him. He loves the company of his numerous cousins there.

Both my son and I are NZ citizens, my husband is just an Irish citizen, so we'd need to apply for PR for him. We've been together for over 7 years now, and married for over 5. We are not entirely sure of when we'd be able to move back due to complications with a boom time house purchase, and what to do with that. Is it possible to apply for PR now and activate it on our yearly visit to NZ if we don't manage to make it back permanently before then?

With regards to shipping, are there any recommendations for shipping companies? We'd possibly be shipping all our furniture - 2 beds, sofa, dining table, drawers and cabinets. Has anyone shipped their car?

It depends. WHat does your husband do for a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Hi,

we are both in IT here. We'd be applying under the family category for PR. I'd imagine we wouldn't have too many issues with getting that, as we have a long history together, joint bank accounts, child etc. Although who knows with them at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rua1 wrote: »

ship everything!!

Furniture is exceptionally expensive here so it make sense to bring what you can. Just make sure it's cleaned and compliance with Biosecurity. My father has shipped cars for people before to lots of places and would ship to NZ. I didn't think of it when I moved by should have. Again a super thorough clean is required but it basically goes in a container and comes out the other end 3 months later. Paperwork & fees don't look too bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

ship everything!!

Furniture is exceptionally expensive here so it make sense to bring what you can. Just make sure it's cleaned and compliance with Biosecurity. My father has shipped cars for people before to lots of places and would ship to NZ. I didn't think of it when I moved by should have. Again a super thorough clean is required but it basically goes in a container and comes out the other end 3 months later. Paperwork & fees don't look too bad...

What's your father's company?

William F wrote: »
    What's your father's company?

PM sent to avoid blatant advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ship everything!!

Furniture is exceptionally expensive here so it make sense to bring what you can.

I dunno where you shop, but I always found that the abundance (cf Ireland) of 2nd hand options kept the price down pretty well.

Agree that new/flash is expensive, but it's not the only way.

I dunno where you shop, but I always found that the abundance (cf Ireland) of 2nd hand options kept the price down pretty well.

Agree that new/flash is expensive, but it's not the only way.

It doesn't really matter where. A new couch for example which should cost about 1500 actually costs 2500, so even second hand it still 1.5-2k.

Either that or it's absolute ****e, frequently its both.

Advertisement