Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

same show different station. you think they might have changed teh format

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Christ.

I thought there'd be no d'arcy haters now seeing as they were all "forced to listen at work". :rolleyes:

Touché!

Hearing it today for the first time. Enjoying it so far.
    A breath of fresh air after Derek Mooney with his infernal
    birds and Marty Morrissey who always sent me running to
    Moncrieff!!

Like the discussion re the Irish names!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

neris wrote: »

half the length, x times the cost to you and me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

why though? clearly RTE poached Ray because he had built up a massive listenership on TodayFM and he did that using a format that his listeners obviously enjoyed. Ray is not perfect, he does not profess to be perfect. I really don't understand why anyone would listen to a show when they don't like the presenter. I was never an RTE 1 listener and now I'm listening even though I swore I wouldn't switch with him, I'm not on my own either so mission accomplished for them I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Yes, lots of profound and original thought there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"And what will you do when you are too old to run"
    "Walk"..

*everybody collapses in laughter*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I think he is coming across a little unsure and disorientated but I would give him a little slack for the moment. I think it was obviously a big decision for him coming to RTE again as he had been quite vocal about them in the last 15 years and not always good.(continual little digs at Liveline) He will have incessant comment regarding the wages thing thrown at him but I'm sure he will be able to take the abuse. As someone said earlier it's still better than Mooney!

• Site Banned Posts: 30 Jack the Box

That aul bogger lad should be given ghe slot ahead of Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I was banned for a day.whats the latest on the soup?any developments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I think he is coming across a little unsure and disorientated but I would give him a little slack for the moment. I think it was obviously a big decision for him coming to RTE again as he had been quite vocal about them in the last 15 years and not always good.(continual little digs at Liveline) He will have incessant comment regarding the wages thing thrown at him but I'm sure he will be able to take the abuse. As someone said earlier it's still better than Mooney!

That's all fine. But he said himself he's been there for four weeks and has had 105 meetings,besides being a dj for so long and he STILL can't operate the buttons in front of him! ? Its a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I was banned for a day.whats the latest on the soup?any developments?

the soup lady has become a mini celebrity apparently

How much longer do we have to endure Ray ? Is he not due some holidays already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

yes because it would make sense to change the format of a show that was insanely popular and dominated the ratings. :rolleyes:

This thread is a joke. All it is is complaining about D'arcy. Look at the other radio stations threads, there's discussion of his show. Not all out abuse.

Neither.

This thread is a joke. All it is is complaining about D'arcy. Look at the other radio stations threads, there's discussion of his show. Not all out abuse.

There is no abuse just honest criticism of his woeful show. Did you hear it today ? Dreadful stuff. Indefenceable.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Touché!

Hearing it today for the first time. Enjoying it so far.
    A breath of fresh air after Derek Mooney with his infernal
    birds and Marty Morrissey who always sent me running to
    Moncrieff!!

I listened for the past 2 days (not to the entire show) but enough for a good sample.

Have to say I find him really unlistenable, trivial conversation, the stuff about the Irish names was so unoriginal and limp I wouldn't waste 5 minutes talking to a work colleague about it.

I think this show will lose a lot of older listeners. My parents have already switched off.
    Say what you want about Mooney (and I wasn't a big fan) but he was very popular amongst the older set. Don't think Darcy will have the same appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Neither.

Yeah but does that not say a lot? It's a completely open forum, for lovers and haters,and he has little or no support here.
    If d'arcy sorted out his incompetency when it comes to pushing buttons,you would find there would be a lot less giving out about him. Surely that's a pretty easy thing to do?

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yeah but does that not say a lot? It's a completely open forum, for lovers and haters,and he has little or no support here.
    If d'arcy sorted out his incompetency when it comes to pushing buttons,you would find there would be a lot less giving out about him. Surely that's a pretty easy thing to do?

It's a broken record. All ye go on about is his inability to press the buttons.

There is no abuse just honest criticism of his woeful show. Did you hear it today ? Dreadful stuff. Indefenceable.

Well you shouldn't listen to it then...and then you can stay out of the thread.

RTE 1 radio is played in work after lunch. I don't decide which channel is picked.

• Advertisement

RTE 1 radio is played in work after lunch. I don't decide which channel is picked.

Hahahahaahhahahahahhahahhahahahhaha.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Christ.

I thought there'd be no d'arcy haters now seeing as they were all "forced to listen at work". :rolleyes:

Different set of people are going to be forced to listen to R1 than were to TodayFM.

It's a broken record. All ye go on about is his inability to press the buttons.

I didn't mention his technical difficulties at all. I talked about his rather bland voice and uninteresting patter. And this is a discussion thread after all. I think everyone is entitled to offer their opinion (even if you clearly don't agree with it)

I just think he is a poor choice for the station at that time of day. I have never really listened to any of his shows before so maybe there is a market he appeals to.

Hahahahaahhahahahahhahahhahahahhaha.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Sure. :)

Yes and so I as well as others will comment truly and fairly as we do and you can like or dislike as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I listened for the past 2 days (not to the entire show) but enough for a good sample.

Have to say I find him really unlistenable, trivial conversation, the stuff about the Irish names was so unoriginal and limp I wouldn't waste 5 minutes talking to a work colleague about it.

I think this show will lose a lot of older listeners. My parents have already switched off.
    Say what you want about Mooney (and I wasn't a big fan) but he was very popular amongst the older set. Don't think Darcy will have the same appeal.

If he brings younger listeners with him from Today FM, then losing older listeners won't really be an issue.
    heldel00 wrote: »

And as soon as anyone says anything positive or in defence of the show they'll immediately be accused of being related to D'Arcy. It was the same in the last thread, it becomes a distinctly hostile place which is unwelcoming to those who want to give praise.

Seriously, read the last number of pages. The posts read like a pack of dogs straining at their leads to rip apart a bunny rabbit. What person in their right mind would put themselves in the firing line to defend the rabbit?

Plus, people are always going to be quicker to bitch and moan about something on the internet than they are to say they're enjoying something.

So, no, the fact that the thread is 90% negative really doesn't say all that much tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If he brings younger listeners with him from Today FM, then losing older listeners won't really be an issue.

And as soon as anyone says anything positive or in defence of the show they'll immediately be accused of being related to D'Arcy. It was the same in the last thread, it becomes a distinctly hostile place which is unwelcoming to those who want to give praise.

Seriously, read the last number of pages. The posts read like a pack of dogs straining at their leads to rip apart a bunny rabbit. What person in their right mind would put themselves in the firing line to defend the rabbit?

Plus, people are always going to be quicker to bitch and moan about something on the internet than they are to say they're enjoying something.

So, no, the fact that the thread is 90% negative really doesn't say all that much tbh.
    Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I had a listen over the last 2 days. No major deviation initially from his Today fm style which is what I would expect. He isn't going to win back any body who switched off listening to him. I'm assuming people who like what he offers will continue to listen.

.n my head it feels a little uncomfortable on radio 1 but for no major reason other than I can remember what he offered 10 years ago. But it was 10 years ago and nostalgia is pointless. I'll drop in and out and see how he progresses. If I like it, I'll continue to listen; if I don't then I won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Found it.

ray-darcy-rte-radio-1-c-630x426.jpg

That's a lot of people for a show that's on air for 90mins.

Apart from obviously trying to allow darcy look taller than everyone, the people in this picture look

a)constipated
    b) in pain (or both) or else
    c) practicing squatting techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Always thought the criticism of Darcy was a bit ott.

Liked his show 6/7 years ago but kinda lost interest the past few years bar the odd morning. I just switched it off and put something else on. Not that hard to do.

Moncrieff is the best on the radio imo so I won't be moving away from his slot in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Who did you say was a broken record?

If you can't stomach people criticising Ray, set up a fan thread or club.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement