Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Quite common, cost benefit analysis.

If we could treat pancreatic cancer but the drug cost 2 million a year and 1000 people in Ireland suffered from it it would be impossible to justify a 2 billion spend for only 1000 people. Extreme example but not far from reality.

Ummmm bit of a generalisation there Monty.

I have never heard of a person being being refused available drugs on account of age, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭goochy

Ray gave out the today fm email after conor pope slot !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

goochy wrote: »
    Ray gave out the today fm email after conor pope slot !

Wonder what the auto reply to that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Which week off was that, Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

First 10 minutes:

News from Kildare;

Jenny read a book;

Healthy eating;

Inability to press correct button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Stop banging the microphone ffs, I swear it's like a transition year students first day on work experience most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No business should accept cheques in this day and age.

Photoboots at a wedding, something that would have made sense 50 years ago.

No business should accept cheques in this day and age.

Photoboots at a wedding, something that would have made sense 50 years ago.

They're for carnival weddings, the hosts are generally bores, the speeches terrible so they entertain with sideshow activities

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hugging. That's another fixation of his.

M

Too loud woman, learn how to talk in to a phone.

• Advertisement
    M

Ffs, more cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I feel sorry for this woman, but is it really necessary to dissect every single negative emotion that she has experienced in the last six months. It was like a Tubridy interview.

"And how did you feel when you got the news?"
    "And how did you feel when she was in hospital?"
    "And how did you feel when she died?"
    "And how are you now?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ray may be a bit hamfisted and keeps getting his wires crossed with jingles and emails etc. But he comes across as a genuine human being and whilst I wouldn't agree with all his sermonising at times, I like the fact that he can genuinely empathise with people and make a connection. At least you know where he's coming from and he's reasonably consistent in his views. Plenty of other tricksy, slick but false radio jocks out there if you don't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I feel sorry for this woman, but is it really necessary to dissect every single negative emotion that she has experienced in the last six months. It was like a Tubridy interview.

"And how are you now?"

You left out his response to every question

{answer}
    Yeah

{answer}
    Yeah

{answer}
    Yeah

"And how are you now?"
    {answer}
    Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

BarryD wrote: »
    Ray may be a bit hamfisted and keeps getting his wires crossed with jingles and emails etc. But he comes across as a genuine human being and whilst I wouldn't agree with all his sermonising at times, I like the fact that he can genuinely empathise with people and make a connection. At least you know where he's coming from and he's reasonably consistent in his views. Plenty of other tricksy, slick but false radio jocks out there if you don't like that.

This all depends on the time of year. If this story was this time last month he would have cried. You know, because of Christmas and it hurt him so.

More and more and more I feel that Mr D'Arcy is well out of his depth on R1.

Well out.

Well out.

There will be zero repercussions in Montrose for the most costly hiring mistake in recent times

Between liabilities cost and lost opportunities RTE management have holed their vessel to a conservative €30,000,000 loss with their failed return of Ray D'arcy

Shocking , but the license fee payers will carry the can for RTE 'talent' hire errors

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Well out.

yep and no one in the media in the media will have the balls to call him or management out on his poor presenting and their poor decision making.

Why?

Because the journos who could criticize and call it as it is are scared of missing out on their chance of a place on a panel show/discussion/expert opinion/15 minutes of tv fame out in Montrose. The media is just 1 big circle jerk crony circle of back slappers and lick arses

Well out.

And who would you replace him with? I think on the whole that he carries the slot reasonably well but hey, I'm only an ordinary listener. An improvement on Derek Mooney's show IMHO and I can't remember who was there before that?

Ryan Tubridy, John Kelly? Spare us.

Dave Fanning wasn't doing too bad a job with his self deprecating humour but people would be complaining that he's too one dimensional. Brendan O'Connor? Or would you prefer the likes of Miriam or Marion? If it's a light entertainment type slot, Ray is as good as any and better than most, even if a bit OTT at times.

Myself I like someone who has plenty of variety and comes at things from various angles, creates a laugh now & then. I also like someone who is reasonably consistent & modest. I detest presenters who 'run with the hares and hunt with hounds' and say whatever they think the listener wants to hear on any given day. And there has been a good few and still are a number in RTE. And those who think they're more important than the listener.

And who would you replace him with? I think on the whole that he carries the slot reasonably well but hey, I'm only an ordinary listener. An improvement on Derek Mooney's show IMHO and I can't remember who was there before that?

Ryan Tubridy, John Kelly? Spare us.

Dave Fanning wasn't doing too bad a job with his self deprecating humour but people would be complaining that he's too one dimensional. Brendan O'Connor? Or would you prefer the likes of Miriam or Marion? If it's a light entertainment type slot, Ray is as good as any and better than most, even if a bit OTT at times.

Myself I like someone who has plenty of variety and comes at things from various angles, creates a laugh now & then. I also like someone who is reasonably consistent & modest. I detest presenters who 'run with the hares and hunt with hounds' and say whatever they think the listener wants to hear on any given day. And there has been a good few and still are a number in RTE. And those who think they're more important than the listener.

I genuinely don't know who they would replace him with, but that's not the issue.

The issue is I genuinely think that Ray has not the all round ability to handle the diversity and depth of interview on the show.

In my opinion he was fine on the soft fluffy laddish stuff on TodayFM , you know the kind of chaff, the phone in competition, the gig slots,reality stuff like Samantha trying to lose Five stone and phoning in her progress,stuff you hear in gyms,hairdressers,barbershops etc.

Anything over that level he struggles in my opinion.

But, as it took them five years to figure out that poor John was not suited to the 0900--1000 slot even though the vey first post, the very first one on the John Murray Show thread predicted that poor John was not suited to the slot and the whole show was a complete shambles with the cringeworthy attempt of Jay Leno type intros.

Surely there must be some 'talent' out there who could do a better job.

Edit: Just thought of the perfect host, he wouldn't touch it though I would say

Marty (I like to party)Morrissey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Marty (I like to party)Morrissey.

When he was filling in before Darcy took over,(after Mooney left) I was expecting it to be sh1t TBH, but he surprised me.I thought he was fine in fairness.

If it's a light entertainment type slot, Ray is as good as any and better than most, even if a bit OTT at times.

What?:eek: He's absolutely awful at it, desperate.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What?:eek: He's absolutely awful at it, desperate.

Well then, give me a few examples of people who would do better than him there. On the whole, once you get past the odd lecture, I find Ray fairly easy to listen to and with a reasonable variety of topics. Think he should get rid of some of his regular props, like that Uncle Arthur rubbish but he seems perfectly capable to my ear of conducting interviews and getting views and answers.

If the odd 'Which button do I press' comes out, just think of it as an endearing characteristic..

Marty the Party maybe but I suspect topics would lean inevitably more towards sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well then, give me a few examples of people who would do better than him there. On the whole, once you get past the odd lecture, I find Ray fairly easy to listen to and with a reasonable variety of topics. Think he should get rid of some of his regular props, like that Uncle Arthur rubbish but he seems perfectly capable to my ear of conducting interviews and getting views and answers.

If the odd 'Which button do I press' comes out, just think of it as an endearing characteristic..

Marty the Party maybe but I suspect topics would lean inevitably more towards sport.

Just because there may be a lack of options, does not make Darcy good at what he does. He is appalling. He does not know what entertainment means anymore unless it is to talk about his kids, his healthy eating or his running. Or other people named Ray Darcy. He is the epitome of a bore. He is a poor presenter on top of all that.

Well then, give me a few examples of people who would do better than him there.

For starters, the very man he replaced.

gimmick wrote: »
    Just because there may be a lack of options, does not make Darcy good at what he does. He is appalling. He does not know what entertainment means anymore unless it is to talk about his kids, his healthy eating or his running. Or other people named Ray Darcy. He is the epitome of a bore. He is a poor presenter on top of all that.

I promise to listen more attentively for next while if near a radio and make a list of what he covers. Sure he touches on topics above quite often as well as atheism but lots more I think too.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    For starters, the very man he replaced.

Derek Mooney?? I liked Mooney when he was on the weekly wildlife programme which he covered well and continued to do so on Fridays. But on his other days it was a mishmash of awful dross, quasi celebrities, Eurovision rubbish, toilet humour & tittering. The only thing he was consistent promoting apart from wildlife was same sex relationships.

I have no problem with the button pressing stuff, it's no big deal for me.

I do feel though that when he is doing the more deep issues,which are handled on the show,he shows his lack of all round 'education' for want of a better word
    or all round understanding of things. Seems to struggle in that department when connecting to a more mature audience as opposed to the mostly banal and trite roaring and shouting he did on the other station,where the break up of some boy band or who was at the BAFTAs would have been the hot topics.

Just my opinion,though, lacks the gravitas for the show as it's currently configured I feel.

I have no problem with the button pressing stuff, it's no big deal for me.

I do feel though that when he is doing the more deep issues,which are handled on the show,he shows his lack of all round 'education' for want of a better word
    or all round understanding of things. Seems to struggle in that department when connecting to a more mature audience as opposed to the mostly banal and trite roaring and shouting he did on the other station,where the break up of some boy band or who was at the BAFTAs would have been the hot topics.

Just my opinion,though, lacks the gravitas for the show as it's currently configured I feel.

Are you reflecting on his relatively poor family background there? Surely it's more to Ray's credit that he wasn't born with a silver broadcasting spoon in his mouth? If anything, I'd say that keeps him grounded and more in touch with ordinary listeners. I agree that it's noticeable at times but I wouldn't hold it against him at all, more of a strength than a weakness. It's not exactly the Arts Show.

But on his other days it was a mishmash of awful dross, quasi celebrities, Eurovision rubbish, toilet humour & tittering.

LOL, what's changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

At least Mooney's tittering was genuine. Darcy titters to cover himself when he doesn't know what to say or do next. Which is why he titters a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement