Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ah horses for courses I guess, I find Ray's programme reasonably OK but can understand why others might prefer a different slant/ approach/ set of pet topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

my friend wrote: »
    Between liabilities cost and lost opportunities RTE management have holed their vessel to a conservative €30,000,000 loss with their failed return of Ray D'arcy

Out of curiosity, where are you getting this number from? Seems a bit excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

good man ray, you found the most popular names for pets from yesterdays show so fascinating you thought people would really care so much you excitedly had to retell the names. do you have to dumb to get a job in rte or does it just help alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He actually said yesterday, just after half way through the piece, that it's boring listening to pet names. FFS, why do a segment then? Wasn't his idea again?

And before the half hour mark we had sugar, Eurovision and a mention of children. Full house.

Edit: Nope, the tittering was missed, up until now.

neris wrote: »
    good man ray, you found the most popular names for pets from yesterdays show so fascinating you thought people would really care so much you excitedly had to retell the names. do you have to dumb to get a job in rte or does it just help alot

Mentioned them to our daughter who likes pets last evening and she was quite interested in them. Lots of people keep and like pets, lots of people have kids, lots of people eat sugar and have sex .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD wrote: »
    Are you reflecting on his relatively poor family background there? Surely it's more to Ray's credit that he wasn't born with a silver broadcasting spoon in his mouth? If anything, I'd say that keeps him grounded and more in touch with ordinary listeners. I agree that it's noticeable at times but I wouldn't hold it against him at all, more of a strength than a weakness. It's not exactly the Arts Show.

No idea what his family background or care to be honest, although he did say on the Nicky Byrne interview that the others "done" it while referring to Westlife solo careers. Wouldn't exactly inspire confidence to the discerning listener

My 'critique' is purely based (I hope) on his handling of a show and I'm sure he is a nice person in 'real life'.

Hope I'm not being unfair to the lad, I wouldn't like to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Wished Nicky Byrne well for Eurovision only for Byrne to remind Ray he will be performing the song on the TV show... so the same interview again basically ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Are you reflecting on his relatively poor family background there? Surely it's more to Ray's credit that he wasn't born with a silver broadcasting spoon in his mouth? If anything, I'd say that keeps him grounded and more in touch with ordinary listeners. I agree that it's noticeable at times but I wouldn't hold it against him at all, more of a strength than a weakness. It's not exactly the Arts Show.

Gay Byrne wasn't exactly a 'silver spoon' kiddo. He knew how to do his freaking job though. He earned his salary. There are plenty of other examples of Montrose broadcasters from varying backgrounds who don't whine, whinge and stab blindly at consoles while cursing Nuacht etc. An curious or intelligent person can educate his/her self if they don't get a formal higher education. A knowitall can't take in education even if they're spoonfed till the age of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Gay Byrne wasn't exactly a 'silver spoon' kiddo. He knew how to do his freaking job though. He earned his salary. There are plenty of other examples of Montrose broadcasters from varying backgrounds who don't whine, whinge and stab blindly at consoles while cursing Nuacht etc. An curious or intelligent person can educate his/her self if they don't get a formal higher education. A knowitall can't take in education even if they're spoonfed till the age of 50.

Are you talking about joe duffy there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

With regard to Nicky Byrne, D'Arcy said something like "They wanted to go with somebody who has the experience, who has a proven track record", referring to Nicky being in Westlife. But Nicky was a backing singer in Westlife. Eurovision is one singer out front singing on his own as a solo performer, which he has little or no experience of.

Maybe at Eurovision, they will have Nicky singing the verse and then Shane Filan pushes him out of the way and sings the chorus. Nicky certainly has experience of that.

• Advertisement

With regard to Nicky Byrne, D'Arcy said something like "They wanted to go with somebody who has the experience, who has a proven track record", referring to Nicky being in Westlife. But Nicky was a backing singer in Westlife. Eurovision is one singer out front singing on his own as a solo performer, which he has little or no experience of.

Maybe at Eurovision, they will have Nicky singing the verse and then Shane Filan pushes him out of the way and sings the chorus. Nicky certainly has experience of that.

The way they were going on, implying Nicky was a major name in European pop music made me snigger.

Somehow I doubt it.

Gay Byrne wasn't exactly a 'silver spoon' kiddo. He knew how to do his freaking job though.

Gay Byrne? I listened to his radio show often enough to know that he was entertaining but utterly inconsistent. His daily approach seemed to be to say whatever he thought the public wanted to hear that day and could change his tune at the drop of a hat when public opinion fluctuated. Joe Duffy learnt his trade there..

I suppose when I think of it, maybe that's what the public want here. We lap up all the promises of the political parties, give out when they don't implement them and then vote for them again....

Eurovision? I couldn't give a fig and neither do I suspect the majority of Irish people. You might look in on it when it's on and later watch the 'deux pointe' bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gay Byrne? I listened to his radio show often enough to know that he was entertaining but utterly inconsistent. His daily approach seemed to be to say whatever he thought the public wanted to hear that day and could change his tune at the drop of a hat when public opinion fluctuated. Joe Duffy learnt his trade there..

I suppose when I think of it, maybe that's what the public want here. We lap up all the promises of the political parties, give out when they don't implement them and then vote for them again....

Eurovision? I couldn't give a fig and neither do I suspect the majority of Irish people. You might look in on it when it's on and later watch the 'deux pointe' bit.

Joe Duffy may have gone to the Gay Byrne school of broadcasting but he failed miserably. Gay had/has his faults but is a professional broadcaster,along the lines of Whelan and Wogan and others I can see but can't remember their names. Duffy not fit to pour their tea..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Post of the thread ^

Joe Duffy may have gone to the Gay Byrne school of broadcasting but he failed miserably. Gay had/has his faults but is a professional broadcaster,along the lines of Whelan and Wogan and others I can see but can't remember their names. Duffy not fit to pour their tea..

Interesting and I'd agree that Gay Byrne was more nuanced & skillful at times, particularly on TV. But as regards radio I'd put him and Joe Duffy very much on a par. They'd both have big personas and egos to match. Both would regard themselves as men of the people and in touch with common man or woman. Both would say 'black is white' if it suits the agenda and then change their stance completely if they thought that was unpopular.

But this is a thread about Ray D'Arcy's show and IMHO Ray is generally more honest in his views and style. Maybe some people would prefer a different set of 'pet topics' but you'll get that with any presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes we have no resources like gold, if only we had gas we could sell...oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes we have no resources like gold, if only we had gas we could sell...oh wait.

You'd think that with our no tax environment for exploration everyone and their wife would be at it

They aren't because we have feck all and its very dear to get at. If we taxed extraction we'd have none and none of the associated jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

L1011 wrote: »
    You'd think that with our no tax environment for exploration everyone and their wife would be at it

They aren't because we have feck all and its very dear to get at. If we taxed extraction we'd have none and none of the associated jobs.

That's why it should be left in the ground until it's needed at the right price instead of giving away billions worth in a gombeen deal for a handful of jobs.

Anything over that level he struggles in my opinion..

If you're listening now Brendan, that's a fine interview with this chap about an abusive father, sensitively done and letting him tell his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's why it should be left in the ground until it's needed at the right price instead of giving away billions worth in a gombeen deal for a handful of jobs.

Which hasn't happened.

Stop believing hysterical posturing. If the people who are screaming about the "billions" were right, we'd have more rigs than Norway right now.

The minimal (all gas) extraction we have is marginally financially viable at best and is the only thing preventing us from being nearly entirely dependent on imports for energy. But that doesn't sound as good as a protest slogan as "OWN OUR OIL!!!" now, does it?

• Advertisement

If you're listening now Brendan, that's a fine interview with this chap about an abusive father, sensitively done and letting him tell his story.

Sorry Barry, wasn't listening, but I will try to get to it and if you say it's a good one, that's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

rte 1 should forget all this afternoon crap. It is not suited for that station at all. Leave all that to rte2.

The powers that be should be thinking along the lines of a schedule like BBC Radio 4. It is my go to station every time.

Just google the schedule, some of it is heavy alright, but much of it is very interesting and informative.

If rte1 even emulated 50% of what they do, they would be quids in. IMO of course, I am just me!!

And just to add, I don't think D'arcy give a fiddlers anyway. There is something so bland about that show on the few occasions I listened. And FGS who is Jenny? She is there all the time. Feck that. It's ridiculous and unprofessional.

Yes I'm feeling grumpy today. It is cold.

rte 1 should forget all this afternoon crap. It is not suited for that station at all. Leave all that to rte2.

The powers that be should be thinking along the lines of a schedule like BBC Radio 4. It is my go to station every time.

Just google the schedule, some of it is heavy alright, but much of it is very interesting and informative.

If rte1 even emulated 50% of what they do, they would be quids in. IMO of course, I am just me!!

And just to add, I don't think D'arcy give a fiddlers anyway. There is something so bland about that show on the few occasions I listened. And FGS who is Jenny? She is there all the time. Feck that. It's ridiculous and unprofessional.

Yes I'm feeling grumpy today. It is cold.

Not exactly a light content on R1,Spanish.

Good afternoon content in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not exactly a light content on R1,Spanish.

Good afternoon content in my opinion.

Each to their own so! Afternoon content to me is just bland and uninteresting.

Must be the presenter. And the show is too long aswell. Very few shows of more than 45 minutes holds attention. Moncrieff is an exception. Quirky, funny, mad, and with just enough gravitas to keep you going.

Ah it's a personal thing, based on your likes and dislikes I suppose.

Each to their own so! Afternoon content to me is just bland and uninteresting.

Must be the presenter. And the show is too long aswell. Very few shows of more than 45 minutes holds attention. Moncrieff is an exception. Quirky, funny, mad, and with just enough gravitas to keep you going.

Ah it's a personal thing, based on your likes and dislikes I suppose.

Is indeed, ten minutes of Mr Moncreiff is all this poster could stomach eh says Brendan;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This guy's lip smacking is getting ever more irritating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Did Ray just say he stopped to a halt on a national road due to Ray being unprepared for low sun?

Truly muppet action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Did Ray just say he stopped to a halt on a national road due to Ray being unprepared for low sun?

Truly muppet action.

He had to stop to look for a button to turn the sun off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Good man, Ray. A david Bowie song for a change.

• Advertisement

Why? What do you do - just plough on in hope and trust in the almighty above?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement