Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The way he keeps singing his jingle music in is very annoying. Along with everything else he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭goochy

Heard Jenny on show for 1st time in ages - that annoying south Dublin accent !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm quite getting to like Moncrieff at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I'd love to know the real circumstances of how he left Todayfm, i'd guess they were not too good?

My (conspiratorial )guess is that he asked for some unusual request of some sort, but they refused.He might have had a hissy fit, and sulked for a bit.

He then might decide to give in his notice, they say fine, feck off then, no need for notice, "we wanted to get rid of ya for a while now, you just gave us the chance to do it now.Now,get the hell out that door ya langer(or some local Dublin lingo) as quick as you can and don't come back.

He comes back in a short while later,............oh I dont seem to be able to open the electronic door, I seem to have pressed the wrong button, could you help?...............:P

Well,wa ya think? Close? or should I up the voltage on my electrotherapy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

jimmyw wrote: »
    I'd love to know the real circumstances of how he left Todayfm, i'd guess they were not too good?

I'd be more inclined to imagine (hypothetically) that a homophobic (but market led) executive in RTE realised that Derek was Polka-ing into the studios as and when it suited him and that Aengus McAnally was lifting more weight than was feasible. Brenda, Olan and the other members of the team did a pretty good job. But Mooney became absent as often as present and when he deigned to turn up was whiney and a pantomime dame. The show became dominated by the host's sexual preferences rather than about light entertainment. I've no idea if personal health issues played a part but if they did, no explanation has been forthcoming.

When Derek was heaved, there was a panic. Panic produces no good programming. Ray must have good legal representation.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to imagine (hypothetically) that a homophobic (but market led) executive in RTE realised that Derek was Polka-ing into the studios as and when it suited him and that Aengus McAnally was lifting more weight than was feasible. Brenda, Olan and the other members of the team did a pretty good job. But Mooney became absent as often as present and when he deigned to turn up was whiney and a pantomime dame. The show became dominated by the host's sexual preferences rather than about light entertainment. I've no idea if personal health issues played a part but if they did, no explanation has been forthcoming.

When Derek was heaved, there was a panic. Panic produces no good programming. Ray must have good legal representation.

Speaking of which, where are all those nature shows that Derek was supposed to be working on, where are they? He is even back doing a somewhat similar show, not nature, on Saturday nights, albet only an hour long??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Speaking of which, where are all those nature shows that Derek was supposed to be working on, where are they? He is even back doing a somewhat similar show, not nature, on Saturday nights, albet only an hour long??

McGowan,Mc Anally, Brenda are no loss, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Raymond Darcy

I am my own man and I will not be sullied by the opinions of others, good or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think the nature prog is on a Sunday night? Or maybe that's a repeat? I've caught it a few times anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Red Fred

BarryD wrote: »
    I think the nature prog is on a Sunday night? Or maybe that's a repeat? I've caught it a few times anyway.

Yes it's on Sundays at 10 pm and repeated during the week on Radio 1 Extra. As far as I know it's pre-recorded.

If I remember correctly not long after Derek was appointed head of nature programmes RTE realused due to their big lisses they coulfn't afford to fund any nature programming.

• Advertisement

Red Fred wrote: »
    Yes it's on Sundays at 10 pm and repeated during the week on Radio 1 Extra. As far as I know it's pre-recorded.

If I remember correctly not long after Derek was appointed head of nature programmes RTE realused due to their big lisses they coulfn't afford to fund any nature programming.

Yeah I know about the Sunday night nature show,but he also has another Saturday night non nature show at 6pm. Tune in and you will hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I am my own man and I will not be sullied by the opinions of others, good or bad.

I dunno, I don't think that's the real Ray D'Arcy. Not one mention of the loves of his life: running, sighing and porridge (or Jenny, Tom and Kate either). And no fumbling of buttons resulting in a double post?

I'm not buying it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My (conspiratorial )guess is that he asked for some unusual request of some sort, but they refused.He might have had a hissy fit, and sulked for a bit.

He then might decide to give in his notice, they say fine, feck off then, no need for notice, "we wanted to get rid of ya for a while now, you just gave us the chance to do it now.Now,get the hell out that door ya langer(or some local Dublin lingo) as quick as you can and don't come back.

He comes back in a short while later,............oh I dont seem to be able to open the electronic door, I seem to have pressed the wrong button, could you help?...............:P

Well,wa ya think? Close? or should I up the voltage on my electrotherapy? :D

The real reason for him jumping ship is because his buddy Willie O'Reilly asked him to join him at RTE with the promise of more TV work. I wouldn't say it's anything more exciting than that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

"We need sort of investigation into the banking crisis".
    "Having an investigation into the banking crisis was a disgrace".

Ray, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it not a touch wreckless setting out to have a baby on your own?

Is it not a touch wreckless setting out to have a baby on your own?

Dunno, what's the difference between that and younger teenage women sleeping around with a few local fellas in order to start a family and get on the housing list etc. Arguably she's more responsible in that she seems to be prepared to carry the responsibility for it all.

M

Dunno, what's the difference between that and younger teenage women sleeping around with a few local fellas in order to start a family and get on the housing list etc. Arguably she's more responsible in that she seems to be prepared to carry the responsibility for it all.

Yes but there's a 2nd person who in theory can be called on for the upkeep or care of the teenage womans baby, this woman here knows from the outset that she's all alone and if she becomes ill or can't cope with the baby there's no other person to look after it in her life, would have to be then adopted. Seems too much like ordering a new car the proces involved with a menu for what you want the end result to be. From a legal point of view in this country if the father even through IVF is identifiable he could be chased for maintance as there's no regulation around it to differ it from the normal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

God, he's like a nine year old in a school yard.

• Advertisement

'in theory'

Ah but that's the nub.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

A lot of people cannot get their heads around the salary that Ray is being paid. Imagine getting 10k per week? 52 weeks a year? Every year? It is just mind boggling! And you will never ever hear a politician complaining - why? Because if you cross the media, you're dead!

You can't blame Ray - he's probably a decent fellow. But imagine the public outcry if, for example, we paid (and it's us paying remember) a nurse or a garda or even a doctor that sort of money?

Just imagine the howls of indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Problem was though in the early years on Today FM his show used to be fun. Then he started trying to tackle serious topics and became an awful grump as the years went on.

Midlife crisis????

Ahem.. you have your small packets delivered to this box and all the chancers who might like to relieve you of your goods, need to do, is rip it off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

When the man mentioned how you'll get an alert saying you've got mail, Ray piped up with, "Wahey! You've Got Mail! Sleepless in Seattle, wasn't that it?"

Two totally different films which feature the same lead actors

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Double-post

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really enjoy listening to the likes of D'Arcy and Duffy when they have people on complaining about their kid not being able to get an op done due to lack of money, or how they can't afford to buy this or that.

They give their false sympathy, despite earning twice as much as Prime Ministers just to chat in the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Nobody giving out about Ray today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

nc6000 wrote: »

What would be the point?

• Advertisement
    M

nc6000 wrote: »

Well he was doing an interview with Seán Mahon who plays a Garda in Red Rock on TV3 and I have to be fair it was a good interview, a combination of Seán being very informative and decent enough questions about how he got in to the acting game etc. Then though at the end Ray asks him "Just say you wanted to do some roleplaying at the weekend with your partner would you be able to take the Garda uniform home" the mind boggles where he gets some of the questions from :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement