Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

sudzs wrote: »
    As Id never listened to Ray before I didn't know what was going on with the background voices and laughter either. I only found out from this thread that it was the missus! Not sure what the older generation must make of it... if any of them are still tuning in, that is!

They were a lot more muted on day 1 and 2 and yesterday kind of only spoke when spoken to so I reckon they have been told not to get involved but are slowly going back to old ways.

I think it adds to the show having someone to talk to but I've never listened to RTE1 until recently so have don't know if this is unusual, I'll have to ask my granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Expunge wrote: »
    So, on days 1,2 and 3 of the shiny new D'Arcy Show on Radio 'Won', as he calls it, he has given us observation based opening monologues.
    Who will forget the, by now, infamous 1 euro 2 cent RTE soup, the Kindle waking the childer classic and how the English can't pronounce our beautiful, native names in their own country. How very dare they!!!!

By Wednesday at the D'arcy production desk, a picture of which was famously tweeted by the presenter's missus before her new colleagues knew they were her new colleagues, it seems somebody suggested a change of monologue strategy might be needed. It was becoming clear that the presenter is no David Letterman or even Brendan O'Connor when it comes to delivering a monologue.

So yesterday we had a news based opening - Rory McIlroy and his 22 million Euro payout, minimum alcohol pricing etc. The problem with this is that by 3 pm on Radio 'Won', it has been done to absolute death.

Would it not kill him just to play the opening track after a brief 'good afternoon' and contact numbers/ e-mail shout out and then go into an interview?

Why do himself and John Murray and their producers think it's a good idea to do opening monologues when they are both clearly rubbish at it?

There ya go Will, Jenny and Ray, you can have that consultancy for free!

he has to do his monologue its what hes done for the last 14 years.only he did it with the help of "whats in todays papers" on today fm.so i guess as one poster said old habits in his case will never ever ever die.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

As Id never listened to Ray before I didn't know what was going on with the background voices and laughter either. I only found out from this thread that it was the missus! Not sure what the older generation must make of it... if any of them are still tuning in, that is!
    Don't take this in a wrong way ,but If you're tuning into Ray darcy on radio one , you may just have joined ' the older generation' , join the club ;), sometimes it's a shock to realise it .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

crazygeryy wrote: »
    he has to do his monologue its what hes done for the last 14 years.only he did it with the help of "whats in todays papers" on today fm.so i guess as one poster said old habits in his case will never ever ever die.

I don't think he did always do it. I think he only started doing it after Gerry Ryan died, or at least around that time.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I don't think he did always do it. I think he only started doing it after Gerry Ryan died, or at least around that time.

5 years .....close enough.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Think we know what his opening monologue will be today, joe Duffy just said that Ray fell while out running and has more bruises than Padre Pio!!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 30 Jack the Box

Think we know what his opening monologue will be today, joe Duffy just said that Ray fell while out running and has more bruises than Padre Pio!!!!!

Oh dear. Another lawsuit on the way.....

Oh dear. Another lawsuit on the way.....

Did anything ever come of the first one? He said he was going to give proceeds to charity.

• Site Banned Posts: 30 Jack the Box

Did anything ever come of the first one? He said he was going to give proceeds to charity.

He says a lot. Enda being Taoiseach was supposed to hasten Ray emigrating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Some of the older generation would have her chained to the kitchen sink,
    methinks!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

And I am glad :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Running, running.. good for the sole, if not the knees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

50 shades mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

They mustn't show many Hollywood films in that cinema in Buncrana

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

"ray at t........rte dot ie"

soup again- is someone on the fiddle in RTE canteen? A cunning plan to stop them by changing the prices of everything....wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Review of the Ray D'Arcy show in the herald today.....it's as if the review was carried out by someone on this Thread:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Another guest taken from the canteen, while he was getting his soup.

More RTE narcissism??

Jimmy McGee next..

• Advertisement

then Gaybo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Joe Duffy surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Looks like all the relics are being dusted off to appear. I thought Larry Gogan was......

Mooney maybe ;)

Arthur Murphy up next or is he still doing email bag on todayfm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Larry probably paid truppence for the soup back in the day...

Larry probably paid truppence for the soup back in the day...

you had to pay with one of them old notes the size of a bed spread. this way the cashier was forced to give you change, stopped fiddling....genius!

will D'Arcy be reviving the "What's In My Head Quiz"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Review of the Ray D'Arcy show in the herald today.....it's as if the review was carried out by someone on this Thread:D

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/radio-review-no-mistaking-rays-style-30966836.html
    First, we just need to rewind to Monday afternoon, and the very beginning of Ray’s new beginning. Just hang on a sec and let me find the right knob to push or twiddle. This one? No. That one? Plays jingles. That one way over there? Activates the self-destruct mechanism, I think. Ah, here we are. And here’s D’Arcy.

“Ah, it works.”

Yup. Those were actually the very first words uttered on The Ray D’Arcy Show 2.0. A wearily-sighed “Ah, it works”.

“How’re ye doing?” D’Arcy then asked us (slightly more cheerily), before following up with a surprised “Oh!” and an exasperated “I’m hearing myself back in something there” and a resigned “That’s to be expected”.

After some fumbly knob-adjusting and a mumbled “Turn that down...turn that down,” the returning hero finally got round to greeting listeners, new and old. “Anyway ... good afternoon,” he groaned, with all the (apparent) enthusiasm of an apathetic funeral director.

Same old, same old, then. Now where’s that bloody ‘Stop’ button. Got it.

Pretty scathing, and deservingly so tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Brendão wrote: »

Eh, where is the scathing review?

All I see is a shítty journalist describe the opening moments of the show.

"He opened the show and pressed a button...then he talked about something and something".

Can't believe someone gets paid to write that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement