Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ray's show may become wearisome after a while but at least it's a change from the previous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Nice, irish rail voice person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Like this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Eh, where is the scathing review?

All I see is a shítty journalist describe the opening moments of the show.

"He opened the show and pressed a button...then he talked about something and something".

Can't believe someone gets paid to write that.

Your opinion of that journalist being ****ty is just as valid as that journalists opinion that Ray Darcy's show is god damn awful.
    Christ it must be exhausting for you feeling like you have to have Darcy's back and defend him from anyone who has a bad view on him.
    Does it nit tell you anything when you're in the minority.

Your opinion of that journalist being ****ty is just as valid as that journalists opinion that Ray Darcy's show is god damn awful.
    Christ it must be exhausting for you feeling like you have to have Darcy's back and defend him from anyone who has a bad view on him.
    Does it nit tell you anything when you're in the minority.

No I believe the journalist is ****ty because all he does is say what happened on the first day? It's like describing a goal being scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Pleae record a message "Those of you with bags on seats and sitting on the aisle when there is no one on the window seat, you are a-holes, move in an lift bags"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I've got to admit, unlike most on this thread, I have generally enjoyed listening to Ray and naturally expected to follow him over.

However......

The short time slot doesn't really suit. I have tried to catch him but I always seem to miss him. Besides Ive stayed with Anton on the earlier slot and I would naturally listen to Sean Moncrieff in the early afternoon when Im near a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I only caught the last 15 minutes of Ray's Show today and if I didn't know that he has been on the radio everyday almost for the last 20 years I wouldn't believe it if some one told me.

He is fine when he is in the interviews (mostly) but as soon as he comes out of that and is addressing the listener he sounds inexperienced and unprepared. Surely at this stage in his career he should be comfortable with all aspects of his broadcast?

Loved the show today.

50 Shades of Ray. Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Will Cupid Kelly be making a comeback?

• Advertisement

Will Cupid Kelly be making a comeback?

not if she can't talk, maybe she could learn to sign and set up a date for some deaf people, now that would be good radio

• Site Banned Posts: 30 Jack the Box

Eh, where is the scathing review?

All I see is a shítty journalist describe the opening moments of the show.

"He opened the show and pressed a button...then he talked about something and something".

Can't believe someone gets paid to write that.

Brilliant review by an excellent journalist. It truly sums up how useless Ray really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder can I still email ray@todayfm.com??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Today's figures?

Yes, confirmed today. Ray D'Arcy, 9th most listened to show last year, Mooney, 18th most listened to.

JNLR Top 30

It's a risky strategy poaching an entire show with a very different demographic and feel to replace Mooney, it could backfire but if it pays off it would be huge for RTÉ. Well worth the risk in my opinion. RTÉ needs to appeal to a younger people. Theres a huge swathe of people over 25 and under 50 that are practically ignored by the National Broadcaster. There is room for the style of show on RTÉ 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yes, confirmed today. Ray D'Arcy, 9th most listened to show last year, Mooney, 18th most listened to.

JNLR Top 30
    Ok, bit of confusion there. They're the figures for last year.

When you said.........
    People really need to stop and think a moment for posting, it's getting like the Monty Python arguement sketch. There's no assumption that D'arcy gets more listeners than Mooney, it's a fact. Today's figures will confirm this again.

People were talking about D'Arcy beating Mooney's figures in the current slot, as in will he beat the 193K listeners that Mooney managed to get. That'll be the true test. He has to beat those figures otherwise it'll be a failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I used to regularly turn Mooney off, mostly because I disliked his co-presenters, apart from the Friday crew. From what I've heard of Darcy this week, I'd keep him on - could do without the lectures though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

JNLR Top 30

It's a risky strategy poaching an entire show with a very different demographic and feel to replace Mooney, it could backfire but if it pays off it would be huge for RTÉ. Well worth the risk in my opinion. RTÉ needs to appeal to a younger people. Theres a huge swathe of people over 25 and under 50 that are practically ignored by the National Broadcaster. There is room for the style of show on RTÉ 1.

His listenership figures were on a downward spiral when he left for RTE. He was losing thousands according to his latest JNLR numbers. So in fact RTE paid out for someone declining in popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MF2HD

I like Ray and his show and have tuned in for them all this week. I listen to the radio all day so morning Ireland, skip John Mooney, hop between Anton Savage,Sean O'Rourke and Pat Kenny so by the time 3pm rocks around whatever the stories of the day are have been well and truly hashed out. The show will quickly turn into a round up of the days stories if they carry on just covering what everyone else has.

I find the whole "having your missus beside you laughing at your jokes" thing a bit disconcerting. Ray will say something and this laughter just appears out of nowhere... no introduction as to who the other person is or why they are there..

And why are RTE still using the makey uppey callers to promote the show... You know those "oh motherhood, has been an eyeopener", and "what would you do if you couldnt run........ walk" soundbytes that were used to promote the show before a show had ever been done..

Yes, I didn't realise it was his OH in the background....like...WHY???....I must bring my hubbie to work with me tomorrow so he can sit in on my presentations and praise them or chuckle when I made a joke...

Just beyond bizarre.....

anyway I tuned in for the last time today....I gave it a fair trial. I wish him luck but honestly I don't know what market RTE is aiming this show at

Yes, I didn't realise it was his OH in the background....like...WHY???....I must bring my hubbie to work with me tomorrow so he can sit in on my presentations and praise them or chuckle when I made a joke...

Just beyond bizarre.....

anyway I tuned in for the last time today....I gave it a fair trial. I wish him luck but honestly I don't know what market RTE is aiming this show at

Thank your lucky stars you have the choice to switch off that steaming pile of dung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

No I believe the journalist is ****ty because all he does is say what happened on the first day? It's like describing a goal being scored.

The journalist was doing a review of the show, so describing it as he did, almost word perfect, and the journalist being called ****ty for doing so, how is it the journalists fault???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Listened to bits of the show, wasn't expecting much and it didn't disappoint. RTE must realise already that they have made a huge mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

I can't believe Mooney had 193k listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

I only caught the last 15 minutes of Ray's Show today and if I didn't know that he has been on the radio everyday almost for the last 20 years I wouldn't believe it if some one told me.

He is fine when he is in the interviews (mostly) but as soon as he comes out of that and is addressing the listener he sounds inexperienced and unprepared. Surely at this stage in his career he should be comfortable with all aspects of his broadcast?

That's very well put and summarises my own view now after hearing segments of the last 4 days.

Kinda have to stay listening to at least some the show for professional reasons but on the evidence so far, I'm going to type something I never thought I'd end up thinking - they might as well have just given the show to Brenda...

Gergiev wrote: »
    That's very well put and summarises my own view now after hearing segments of the last 4 days.

:rolleyes: but on the evidence so far, I'm going to type something I never thought I'd end up thinking - they might as well have just given the show to Brenda...

Yeah.

Yeah.

I tend to agree also. Brenda was woeful but she's a damn sight more professional than darcy

Just beyond bizarre.....

to be fair they were colleagues before they started going out

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I believe RTE has Darcy on radio one as a holding position, when Turbidy leaves 2fm Ray will get his slot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

.I must bring my hubbie to work with me tomorrow so he can sit in on my presentations and praise them or chuckle when I made a joke...

It didnt work when John Lennon did it, and it's not gonna work for D'Arcy..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I believe RTE has Darcy on radio one as a holding position, when Turbidy leaves 2fm Ray will get his slot .

Ray Darcy is not in holding. He's fifty and not in the right target audience for 2fm. if they move him to that slot it will solidify the self destruct button has been pressed at 2fm under its current administration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement