Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did the guy say the clamping happened in the Phoenix Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Ray stealing all joes lines today, well done, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Whats that noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Have they carried out an experiment to see how many people have driven the car off a cliff while listening to D'Arcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Credit where it's due, he's up to 217,000 listeners, an increase of 34,000 year on year.

His successor on Today FM has dropped approximately the same number of listeners in the same period, dropping back to 175,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Credit where it's due, he's up to 217,000 listeners, an increase of 34,000 year on year.

His successor on Today FM has dropped approximately the same number of listeners in the same period, dropping back to 175,000.

Congrats Ray, fair play to him. I remember when he moved the vitriol on here over how he left today fm was savage. Moaning about his wages, blah blah.....Then the haters were on saying how he'd last no length with the inevitable plummet in the jnlrs.

Still waiting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

There is genuinely no accounting for taste because Anton Savage is an infinitely better broadcaster than Ray Darcy has ever been. Savage is vastly more intelligent, articulate, better read, more interested in people, far more upbeat and engaging and has never lacked in technical proficiency the way Darcy does on a daily basis.

With all of these attributes in Anton's favour it seems ludicrous than his audience is down and Darcy's is up, it seems quality broadcasting clearly doesn't well with the irish people , sure how else would you explain the success of Liveline, Marian Finucane, The Late Late and most inexplicably Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

No doubt Ray will find some negative today in being up in the JNLR's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Francis Brennan will never be the same again after this life draining experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

heybaby wrote: »
    With all of these attributes in Anton's favour it seems ludicrous than his audience is down and Darcy's is up, it seems quality broadcasting clearly doesn't well with the irish people , sure how else would you explain the success of Liveline, Marian Finucane, The Late Late and most inexplicably Fair City.

The power of being the national broadcaster is underestimated. I couldnt understand why RTE didnt get Anton Savage for the afternoon slot. he would have been perfect, he's young (er than Ray at least), he's funny, he's got a good attitude. Would have been a perfect fit.

• Advertisement

The big fishing and gas areas have nothing to do with Dublin so don't matter, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

heybaby wrote: »
    Anton Savage is an infinitely better broadcaster than Ray Darcy has ever been.
    Says you. The public don't agree and in the radio business that's all that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know the name of the documentary they were chatting about, only came in near the end of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Atlantic I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

roshje wrote: »
    Atlantic I think

God I miss Atlantic 252!!

Best music station ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

God I miss Atlantic 252!!

Best music station ever!!

Yea great station

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

D'Arcy is currently giving out about people driving and using their phones.

This is the same man who in his Today FM days regularly read out texts from truckers on various routes around Ireland who text in his show to say the were in floods of tears after hearing some heart wrenching story or that the hair was standing up on the back of their neck after hearing some live cover song.

He didn't have a problem with it then.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I attribute that to his show timing, ie right after liveline. My old pair just never bother turning the dial after liveline, they just switch on the TV to watch some afternoon show. They dislike D'Arcy (almost) as much as I do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I attribute that to his show timing, ie right after liveline. My old pair just never bother turning the dial after liveline, they just switch on the TV to watch some afternoon show. They dislike D'Arcy (almost) as much as I do

I'd say it's more to do with his TV Show. For good or for bad it's a big part of the RTE schedule so there'd obviously be a kick back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

BPKS wrote: »
    D'Arcy is currently giving out about people driving and using their phones.

This is the same man who in his Today FM days regularly read out texts from truckers on various routes around Ireland who text in his show to say the were in floods of tears after hearing some heart wrenching story or that the hair was standing up on the back of their neck after hearing some live cover song.

He didn't have a problem with it then.

How do you know the truckers weren't pulled in at a rest stop or a coffee shop?
    Certainly not sticking up for D'Arcy but I've said it a few times in this thread that Anton does absolutely nothing for me and it looks from the latest book that I'm not the only one in that boat.

He's not relatable one bit, I have no idea who Anton Savage is and don't get me wrong I don't want to know what his kids had for lunch on Sunday but I don't even know if he has kids, I don't know if he's married.
    He's basically an generic radio presenter that adds nothing extra to the show, he still sounds like a stand in to me that's only keeping the mic warm.

I know Today Fm seem like really loyal employers but they need to take the figures seriously now and play hardball with Anton & Louise,
    I reckon Dermot and Dave can turn a corner because they have a template for a really great show but Anton is hemorrhaging listeners and half a dozen boards.ie members who's Anton love stems more from their dislike for D'Arcy, posting up everythime Anton plays in the living years or Rick Astley ain't going to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

"I'm mulling something over in my head".

I'm thinking he's gonna pack in the TV show. He looks like the stress of it is killing him, and the show is rubbish.

Alternative theory: he said he'd leave the country if Enda became Taoiseach. He didn't.

Enda's about to become Taoiseach again. Maybe Ray is going to take his second chance and make good on the promise?

(Yeah, I don't think so either, but we can hope, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Was Ray being rude there? ("must be a different clock")

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

honeybear wrote: »
    Was Ray being rude there? ("must be a different clock")

Just brave because Duffy is off. Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bigroad

Ray thinks its still Monday.

Dirty Old Town is indeed about Salford in Manchester, thus the reason its played just before the players come out.

Oh and i've used that toilet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

bigroad wrote: »
    Ray thinks its still Monday.

Thought I heard that but convinced myself I was hearing things. He really is a dope.

" I don't want to be negative".................ironic

Tickets from only 177:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

So funny this yank is saying the same thing over and over again.......

• Advertisement

As someone who is bi-polar can i just say, what a load of bollox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement