Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Gentle mocking? Definitely.

However that was not the tone of the posts addressing it. They came across the usual dog-piling on any slip-up D'Arcy makes that happens in this thread.

Calling someone an idiot, suggesting that a spelling error is an indicator of a lack of preparation, and suggesting that just because he's earning a large sum of money they shouldn't make an easily made, inconsequential error goes far beyond the realm of "gentle mocking".

IMO anyway.

I wouldn't ever try and decipher someone's tone in text. Not easy.

Do you not think he makes an extraordinarily high number of slip ups though? Compared to say a Pat Kenny? Is it not incumbent on him to cut these down?

As I've mentioned frequently I'm not a regular listener....yet everytime I do listen there's something. Statistically, the odds on him making mistakes just when I listen would be pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Connaught will be the new Leicester. He's managed to drop in a mention of them in almost every interview I've heard over the last two weeks.

Like Butters above, I rarely listen to him. Over the last two weeks I've no choice but to isten to radio1 during the day. You'd lose the will to live, listening to him sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As I said I'm not a regular listener to the show or a contributor to this thread, but on the rare occasions I do listen there's always something....an error, a faux pas, a WTF moment, etc. At some stage, even the biggest Ray D'Arcy apologists have to think he might actually be the problem, or at least at fault for some of these things.

You seem very defensive about and protective of the host. I'm genuinely curious, do you have a connection with the show or the host? I promise I'm not trolling, just asking a genuine question.

Zero connection to the show. I'm more than willing to criticise D'Arcy when I feel it's warranted, and have done so on many occasions both on this thread and its predecessor. In fact, I no longer listen to his show because I dislike what it has become.

However, when I read posts that, to me, come across as unfairly nit-picky, I'll call people on it. Not going to apologise for that. This thread gets to me at times because, frankly, it often borders on the downright nasty and spiteful. (And I know you're not a regular here)
    goochy wrote: »
    It's not that people like him he's on radio 1 so you will get plenty of listeners anyway.

See, I don't buy this argument at all. If it were the case, why were Mooney's figures so much lower?
    I wouldn't ever try and decipher someone's tone in text. Not easy.

Do you not think he makes an extraordinarily high number of slip ups though? Compared to say a Pat Kenny? Is it not incumbent on him to cut these down?

As I've mentioned frequently I'm not a regular listener....yet everytime I do listen there's something. Statistically, the odds on him making mistakes just when I listen would be pretty high.

I agree with you on all of those points. And I think criticising his mistakes is fair enough, I just felt at the time that the particular criticism was unwarranted as it amounted to a slip of the tongue IMO. Now, you may disagree, and that's perfectly fine, I just hope I've explained where I'm coming from here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

Why in heavens name does ANYONE in RTE think this guy comes across well on radio?
    Because he has increased the listenership in that slot by 24,000 listeners since he toook over.
    Don't ever confuse listenership figures with quality. If you need further proof of this, I give you Joe Duffy.
    Right so - then don't use poor viewership figures of his TV show as proof of lack of quality as people on this thread have done.
    Zero connection to the show. I'm more than willing to criticise D'Arcy when I feel it's warranted, and have done so on many occasions both on this thread and its predecessor. In fact, I no longer listen to his show because I dislike what it has become.

However, when I read posts that, to me, come across as unfairly nit-picky, I'll call people on it. Not going to apologise for that. This thread gets to me at times because, frankly, it often borders on the downright nasty and spiteful.
    Totally agree with everything here. It's amazing to me the number of D'Arcy haters on this thread who seem to be as forced to listen to his slot on Radio 1 @ 3PM as they were when he was on Today FM @ 9AM. Those nasty "employers" you people have who have maliciously moved their dials from Today FM to RTE1 deliberately to torture you ... :rolleyes:

D'Arcy to me I could take or leave ... he's a big improvement on what Derek Mooney's show had become, and this notion that people "leave RTE1 on" all day was disproved by the fact that listeners were switching off (or over) in their tens of thousands before he (Mooney) was taken off that slot.

I get the criticisms of him - the mistakes, the "I dunno" followed by a sigh, the obsessions (sugar/porridge/running), the fake laughing (which, strangely enough not many people mention) mimicked brilliantly IMO by Oliver Callan. The solution to me would be to listen to something else - Moncrieff as I (mostly) do, or a podcast when there's no good alternative available. And if ye were to do that in enough numbers, he too would be removed from this slot - as Mooney was.

What I really don't get is the torture that people inflict upon themselves by listening to the show followed by their desire to come on here and complain about every mistake that's made. (Oh sorry, that's right, yer employers are forcing it on ye ...)

What's most amusing to me is to contrast this thread with the "St. Anton" thread, where people express their love for their hero regularly, despite the fact that he has lost 40,000 listeners from the slot that D'Arcy vacated and is the embodiment of blandness IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I agree with you on Savage, he'll as bland as they get.

On D'Arcy and his tv show, as another poster pointed out, there's infinitely more options on the medium of tv and obviously because it's a Saturday night too there are other options available (not just tv, radio etc) that wouldn't be there during work hours during the week. The comparison doesn't hold across to and radio over different timeslots - you really are comparing apples with oranges there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

As I've said before I don't listen to the show regularly nor contribute here but for the gamblers amongst you 10/1 he mentions Connacht tomorrow and throws in the "I played a bit of rugby myself" (or whatever his line on this is) tomorrow.

I'd say he'll drop in the name of Mr Whoever it was taught him rugby, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

As I've said before I don't listen to the show regularly nor contribute here but for the gamblers amongst you 10/1 he mentions Connacht tomorrow and throws in the "I played a bit of rugby myself" (or whatever his line on this is) tomorrow.
    First thing mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

breathing through his teeth and sucking noises in flagrante delicto

BPKS wrote: »
    First thing mentioned.

Porridge next.

Pat Lam on now. Time for Butters prediction to come true.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Pat Lam on the line.

D'Arcy used to support Munster before they went to sh1te.

Will he jump from the Leinster bandwagon onto the Connacht bandwagon now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ray: Tell us your title

Guest: 2012 World Air Guitar Champion

70 seconds later....

Ray: that was the current world air guitar champion

worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He's selling his old air guitar. €20. No strings attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

serfboard wrote: »
    Why in heavens name does ANYONE in RTE think this guy comes across well on radio?
    Because he has increased the listenership in that slot by 24,000 listeners since he toook over.
    Don't ever confuse listenership figures with quality. If you need further proof of this, I give you Joe Duffy.
    Right so - then don't use poor viewership figures of his TV show as proof of lack of quality as people on this thread have done.

However, when I read posts that, to me, come across as unfairly nit-picky, I'll call people on it. Not going to apologise for that. This thread gets to me at times because, frankly, it often borders on the downright nasty and spiteful.
    Totally agree with everything here. It's amazing to me the number of D'Arcy haters on this thread who seem to be as forced to listen to his slot on Radio 1 @ 3PM as they were when he was on Today FM @ 9AM. Those nasty "employers" you people have who have maliciously moved their dials from Today FM to RTE1 deliberately to torture you ... :rolleyes:

D'Arcy to me I could take or leave ... he's a big improvement on what Derek Mooney's show had become, and this notion that people "leave RTE1 on" all day was disproved by the fact that listeners were switching off (or over) in their tens of thousands before he (Mooney) was taken off that slot.

I get the criticisms of him - the mistakes, the "I dunno" followed by a sigh, the obsessions (sugar/porridge/running), the fake laughing (which, strangely enough not many people mention) mimicked brilliantly IMO by Oliver Callan. The solution to me would be to listen to something else - Moncrieff as I (mostly) do, or a podcast when there's no good alternative available. And if ye were to do that in enough numbers, he too would be removed from this slot - as Mooney was.

What I really don't get is the torture that people inflict upon themselves by listening to the show followed by their desire to come on here and complain about every mistake that's made. (Oh sorry, that's right, yer employers are forcing it on ye ...)

What's most amusing to me is to contrast this thread with the "St. Anton" thread, where people express their love for their hero regularly, despite the fact that he has lost 40,000 listeners from the slot that D'Arcy vacated and is the embodiment of blandness IMO.

People will nitpick due to his enormous publicly funded salary. Listen or not, 500,000 of public money goes to him for his media contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

snotboogie wrote: »
    People will nitpick due to his enormous publicly funded salary. Listen or not, 500,000 of public money goes to him for his media contributions.

does that half a million include his wife, or are we funding her wages too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Would you mind explaining EXACTLY what that means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Would you mind explaining EXACTLY what that means

What do you mean what does that mean? It's a perfectly obvious statement.

What do you mean what does that mean? It's a perfectly obvious statement.

Not to me, but no problem anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im confused too. His media contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

gimmick wrote: »

media = tv and radio? straight forward enough i would've thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

"Michael Gambon was in Pennies from Heaven with the skin disease" No, you gormless moron, that was The Singing Detective.
    "Does Jon Snow come back to life?" Jaysus wept.

Does Ray Arsey do a single moment's research before plonking his D'Arce on the studio chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

gimmick wrote: »
    media = tv and radio? straight forward enough i would've thought

I think you missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Does Ray Arsey do a single moment's research before plonking his D'Arce on the studio chair?

If you sent that to him, he'd probably proudly tell you that he "doesn't do" research.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ray says he was a stuntman. I bet he did the flying scenes for The Greatest American Hero.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    "Michael Gambon was in Pennies from Heaven with the skin disease" No, you gormless moron, that was The Singing Detective.
    "Does Jon Snow come back to life?" Jaysus wept.

He is the most awkward, unsure of himself, poorly informed 'interviewer' I have ever the misfortune to listen to.

Even today he bolloxed up the pronunciation of Ardara in Donegal.

I have genuinely never listened to a more uninformed presenter in my life.

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭goochy

I know he went to trinity and believe me I am not from a well off family myself ! , but we tend to forget that ray is from a council estate and his dad was in the army . I know it's going to be controversial but he's not very bright and he's not from a clever family !

goochy wrote: »
    I know he went to trinity and believe me I am not from a well off family myself ! , but we tend to forget that ray is from a council estate and his dad was in the army . I know it's going to be controversial but he's not very bright and he's not from a clever family !

Genuinely at a loss to understand what has that got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ten minutes before ray goes off on a PC rant.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just walked in and this thick was on. I feel like a bold child being preached to. Foxtrot Oscar Ray

• Advertisement

Just saw on another thread about worst ads, that skooowda kid and father with their equally awful accents are on the show tomorrow.

You have been warned !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement