Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You want to listen to a man with a rain cloud over his head pontificating at 9 am on a summers morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Did I not hear a short while back that Ray's listenership figure had gone up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It's a mystery to me too but you can't argue with his popularity.

Bloody Moncrieff can be tedious at the best of times. He could do with a bit of stiff competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

BarryD wrote: »

I think that's mostly to do with people like me leaving it on for the dog. Mind you, I expect the DSPCA out any day to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I would love to watch Ray waiting to cross at pedestrian lights. He must just spend hours standing there slapping the pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Darcy is a real life Alan Partridge with one major difference, he isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I would love to watch Ray waiting to cross at pedestrian lights. He must just spend hours standing there slapping the pole.

Ah now I doubt he'd be masturbating in public.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

BarryD wrote: »

Yes, but Eddie the Eagle had millions tuning in to watch him. Same difference really..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I think that's mostly to do with people like me leaving it on for the dog. Mind you, I expect the DSPCA out any day to investigate.

I know that was a joke, but the pedant in me just has to say "That's not how listenership works!".

Sorry. :o

Heard about 30 seconds yesterday as Ray "seamlessly" went from one guest to another and couldn't find the button for the ad break. Cue some fidgeting and asking the producer to do (which didn't happen) and then him saying "computer says no" before moving on to the next guest. How long can it take him to figure it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Heard about 30 seconds yesterday as Ray "seamlessly" went from one guest to another and couldn't find the button for the ad break. Cue some fidgeting and asking the producer to do (which didn't happen) and then him saying "computer says no" before moving on to the next guest. How long can it take him to figure it out?

IMO a better question is (and I've been asking this since Today FM days), WHY does he insist on running his own desk? Like, I understood it at Today FM, because that's how the studios were set up, and having someone else drive the desk would have been out of the ordinary, plus he was playing way more music so there'd have been issues there. But Radio 1 has dedicated talk radio studios. Why don't they just use one of those, with a producer running the desk?

It boggles the mind that with the fleet of people working on this show that this hasn't happened yet...

Like, listen to NewsTalk for any half hour period and you'll rarely, if ever, hear a balls up with the buttons. And that's because the presenters have no control over it. Really, this isn't me slagging Ray for not being able to use the equipment. I don't have a problem with that. What i do have a problem with is him seemingly insisting that HE must be the one that uses it when he clearly can't.

A mistake here and there is grand. But when it's so regular that it's basically become a meme, it's time to step back and reassess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ah now I doubt he'd be masturbating in public.....

Is it a DJ thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Darcy is a real life Alan Partridge with one major difference, he isn't funny.

And Alan Partridge was able to find/press the right buttons!!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IMO a better question is (and I've been asking this since Today FM days), WHY does he insist on running his own desk? Like, I understood it at Today FM, because that's how the studios were set up, and having someone else drive the desk would have been out of the ordinary, plus he was playing way more music so there'd have been issues there. But Radio 1 has dedicated talk radio studios. Why don't they just use one of those, with a producer running the desk?

It boggles the mind that with the fleet of people working on this show that this hasn't happened yet...

Like, listen to NewsTalk for any half hour period and you'll rarely, if ever, hear a balls up with the buttons. And that's because the presenters have no control over it. Really, this isn't me slagging Ray for not being able to use the equipment. I don't have a problem with that. What i do have a problem with is him seemingly insisting that HE must be the one that uses it when he clearly can't.

A mistake here and there is grand. But when it's so regular that it's basically become a meme, it's time to step back and reassess.

Control freak obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

christ Im out

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i-love-sugar.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

His daughter is sitting her leaving cert and thinks that it is right that she is sitting her second paper of the day having not eaten for ten hours. You know if this was something that was being promoted by the Catholic Church, Ray would have all sorts of health experts on the show telling this man why it is wrong to starve while sitting your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭goochy

Ray was really losing the cool with that guy when the guy said that you can choose not to be gay -

christ Im out

Just as well cause Allah came in :D

Ray was losing it alright, liked the way the guy kept calling him 'man'. He was so disappointed to hear there's no falloff in numbers in the muslim faith and they are all young.

The break button must be very high up as Ray always gives a stretching grunt when he mentions a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Would Ray suffer from the small man syndrome? It could explain a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Needs Must wrote: »
    Would Ray suffer from the small man syndrome? It could explain a lot.

That's quite possible.

When you are in 12 feet of water and only 5'2" that can be problematic, figuratively speaking.

Guy is out of his depth bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Another one of these "Ray, I met this amazing person and I didn't get their phone number" pieces.

Public service broadcasting at its finest :rolleyes:

"There you go, I'm a man of my word".

Well you're not really Ray.

Ray is off on his abortion high-horse again. Not much difference between himself and Mooney in terms of personal agendas.

Ray is off on his abortion high-horse again. Not much difference between himself and Mooney in terms of personal agendas.

It's absolutely ridiculous how much he gets to drive his own agenda. He really should have gone to Newstalk, it would have been a much better fit for him. maybe the morning show with Chris, or co present with Dil on Saturday night.

Good many Ray, I'd say that your third BAI judgment secured for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Did Ray have another meltdown? :pac:

Even though Don Henley interview was pre recorded it was car crash stuff, Ray even correcting him on the pronunciation of Armagh.
    Oops, Don hung up, Ray said phone went dead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭goochy

did you hear on Tuesday - Fern Britton on ( preferred her b4 the gastric band !)
    She referred to uk as mainland and thought we were voting on brexit !!
    even so Ray couldn't help going out of his way to make her feel bad / stupid about it continuously .
    Really must be lacking something that he likes pointing out others errors so much.

• Advertisement

D'Arcy talking about killjoys.

The delicious irony! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement