Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

goochy wrote: »
    did you hear on Tuesday - Fern Britton on ( preferred her b4 the gastric band !)
    She referred to uk as mainland and thought we were voting on brexit !!
    even so Ray couldn't help going out of his way to make her feel bad / stupid about it continuously .
    Really must be lacking something that he likes pointing out others errors so much.

It was awful. She was a perfectly pleasant guest who made a mistake and D'arcy acts like a complete d*ckhead about it. He comes across so aloof when interviewing people. Hope he reigns it in on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So he's only self righteous when it suits himself?
    What primary schools go on holidays this early in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ray must send his daughter to an ultra PC secular school who like to be different by breaking up for the summer holidays in early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sugar Hill Gang must have got a better offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭goochy

they go to multi denomination so youre right !!
    love his reasoning about why its ok for kids to miss skool anyway( not ) - youre not going to look back and say that must have been the time I was away on holidays.
    if they are anything like Ray , they will need all the skool days they can get !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ray must send his daughter to an ultra PC secular school who like to be different by breaking up for the summer holidays in early June.

Sure it's far less expensive more private to go on hols before the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So he's only self righteous when it suits himself?
    What primary schools go on holidays this early in June?

He's dead right - none of that lady listeners business or yours or mine as to when Ray and his family take their holidays and what they do as regards school and their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

BarryD wrote: »
    He's dead right - none of that lady listeners business or yours or mine as to when Ray and his family take their holidays and what they do as regards school and their children.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if it weren't for the fact that secular schooling is right up there with abortion on Ray's list of personal agendas that he likes to dispense to the populous through the medium of his radio show.....

I never said it was any of my business, but it doesn't fit in with how he sees the rest of the world. Isn't he always complaining about how things are only done half arsed and the likes in this country?

And it would make a difference to you if they shared a class with your kids. I know it's only primary school but if a kid meets a week or so of classes, time is wasted by the teacher helping explain things to the kids that missed it first time around.

Ah go on outa that - if he was continuously criticising schools and parents for non attendance, then he'd be a hypocrite. But all he does in that regard, is to campaign for more secular schools.

As for time wasted in class, even at the best of times vast amounts of time are 'wasted' in primary schools repeating the same material ad nausea. Did you ever look at primary school maths books? They'd make you weep with endless repetition - no wonder the kids get turned off maths. The end of year in particular is mostly filling in the hours. Your average child could learn what they pick up in primary school on a daily basis in 30 minutes. The rest is entertainment, repetition and class management. That'd be my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not to get too uppity about it but he did say that if it was a nice day outside he wouldn't bother sending the kids to school. Seems a bit odd.

In fairness though, there is a bit of pragmatisim there. Education may not be everything for his kids; they'll never have money worries and are guaranteed a job on the radio as soon as they come of age.

I never said he was a hypocrite either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Arghus wrote: »
    Not to get too uppity about it but he did say that if it was a nice day outside he wouldn't bother sending the kids to school. Seems a bit odd.

In fairness though, there is a bit of pragmatisim there. Education may not be everything for his kids; they'll never have money worries and are guaranteed a job on the radio as soon as they come of age.

They won't need any talent either.

I never said he was a hypocrite either.

No ThisRegard, you didn't. I said, he wasn't a hypocrite in this regard as far as I know.

I also said that it was none of the lady listeners business what Ray & his family did i.e. the one who wrote in to complain to Ray. That wouldn't refer to you, unless you happen to be the person who wrote in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Really must be lacking something that he likes pointing out others errors so much.

Isn't that basically what this thread is about though? :P

Sorry, I've been sitting on that since last night. I know it's a sh*t joke, but someone had to say it. :o
    And it would make a difference to you if they shared a class with your kids. I know it's only primary school but if a kid meets a week or so of classes, time is wasted by the teacher helping explain things to the kids that missed it first time around.

Ah come on now. There's what, 2 weeks left for primary schools, of which realistically one is a complete write-off anyway? If the teacher is covering some really important stuff now, then frankly they're doing it wrong IMO.

If it was the start of September or middle of the year or if Ray was constantly harping on about parents who do this, then yeah he should be called out on it, but other than that can't really see an issue with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

If Ray never mentioned his kids, this issue would not be discussed.

honeybear wrote: »
    If Ray never mentioned his kids, this issue would not be discussed.

It seems to me that most media people whether they be radio presenters, TV personalities or journalists build their repertoire of subjects around the things that interest them the most. Not that they won't cover other stuff but topics close to them will often win through.

So it's perfectly reasonable that Ray will talk about his family and so on, just as you'd expect a fair few comments on music and soccer from say Dave Fanning, books/ movies from Tubridy, gay rights, Eurovision and nature from Mooney etc.

It seems to me that most media people whether they be radio presenters, TV personalities or journalists build their repertoire of subjects around the things that interest them the most. Not that they won't cover other stuff but topics close to them will often win through.

So it's perfectly reasonable that Ray will talk about his family and so on, just as you'd expect a fair few comments on music and soccer from say Dave Fanning, books/ movies from Tubridy, gay rights, Eurovision and nature from Mooney etc.

But whereas a lot of other people will like the same kind of music , books, movies, nature or whatever, what kind of person apart from parents and grandparents have the slightest interest in someone elses kid? I am a parent and think my kids are fantastic, but have the maturity to realise that not everyone else does. Ray doesn't seem to grasp the fact that his kids are just another pair of sprogs that no one finds remotely interesting.

...apart from making sure you avoid them if you have the misfortune to holiday in the same place at the same time.:)

Jaysus, all I was saying was that his attitude on not sending his kids to school if the weather is nice doesn't fit in with his all or nothing approach to everything else he soap boxes on and gets sanctimonious about.

• Advertisement

I mentioned it b4 . Ray has said in newspaper interviews that he knows some people find it boring hearing about his kids but he doesnt care as he thinks they say funny things !
    I would say the fact that ray is so obsorbed in his family might be that as he is very dull and a bit odd he doesnt have many friends and didn't have much of a social life so having a family has made him fit in for the first time ever.
    still can't believe he was engaged to geri maye .she's a bit of a head wrecker but nice looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I mentioned it b4 . Ray has said in newspaper interviews that he knows some people find it boring hearing about his kids but he doesnt care as he thinks they say funny things !
    I would say the fact that ray is so obsorbed in his family might be that as he is very dull and a bit odd he doesnt have many friends and didn't have much of a social life so having a family has made him fit in for the first time ever.
    still can't believe he was engaged to geri maye .she's a bit of a head wrecker but nice looking

Ya Jenny is a bit of a sog d*g alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

he's 51, what mad social life would he be having and of course he's absorbed in his family sure he's working with his wife.

He's one of the most popular radio/tv presenters in the country,a highly intelligent family man so I really don't see how/why you are trying to characterize him as some dull loner. Do you think Ryan tubridy, Tom Dunne, Rick o Shea etc are going on mad lads weekends away without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Perfectly correct B.

Always notice when Paraic Lodge does the sports there is almost always a good chunk devoted to horse racing

Like ways when Dezzie does is he only becomes animated when describing 'de paartie' afterwards.

doc11 wrote: »
    a highly intelligent family man

I understand he's popular, and I used to really enjoy listening to him before he hit the change, but highly intelligent is not something that he could ever be described as.

It's pretty obvious that despite being a dj ray is just a dull person and it's hard to see him being popular . Whether he is 51 or not . You are either dull or not . I would say he is very absorbed in family as they massage his big ego and sense of importance

I've said it before but the level of vitriol on this thread never ceases to surprise - Ray sure has made a lot of enemies over the years or else there's lots of people who like to jump on bandwagons. That said, he is still very popular and it's to his credit that he's prepared to voice opinions. You may not like his opinions and pet subjects, but clearly lots of people do. Sure, he overdoes it a bit at times but better that than bland pap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I've said it before but the level of vitriol on this thread never ceases to surprise - Ray sure has made a lot of enemies over the years or else there's lots of people who like to jump on bandwagons. That said, he is still very popular and it's to his credit that he's prepared to voice opinions. You may not like his opinions and pet subjects, but clearly lots of people do. Sure, he overdoes it a bit at times but better that than bland pap.
    It's the overdoing it that's the problem as far as I'm concerned.

He seems to be constantly on the radar of the BAI.

Not really good enough considering the wedge both himself and his team are pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Interesting discussion right now, Katherine Thomas' grey pubes

• Advertisement

its all very well having opinions , but Ray is only interested in his own opinion and people with same opinions.

love G Hook, hes got opinions but never makes out that his is the only opinion and that he must be right - hes no problem hearing other opinions.

you could put anything on at 3pm on radio 1 and hundreds of thousands of listeners.
    Ray is a terrible interviewer - makes guests feel awkward and it just doesn't flow . who ever thought he had a personality for radio ? hes certainly got a face for it !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement