Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

It's a bit embarrassing that analogy that he was creating between the "guy who has just started driving, and doesnt want to take his hands off the wheel to wave at his friend" and his own inept broadcasting for the past week... I'm sure RTE certainly expect more than just a trainee..

Did you hear him later saying to the comedian fellah with stage fright? How come that after doing it for years that he'd not get used to it.

And he spent the first few minutes of the programme explaining he was too nervous about whict button to press for the jingle to say thank you to Eileen Dunne .

Ha. Nice riff from Last Train To Clarksville for one of the jingles...

As an aside, it's great to get the sports directly after the news at four, instead of that infernal Mooney's Money, (or more of the programme) before finally getting to the news...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

baldbear wrote: »
    Darcy has had many Petteifoggery moments about sugar!
    A good name for a band perhaps, or how about 'Darcy Pettifog'. Hint, more music needed. If we can't have that, can we have more people with interesting accents, anything to vary the tone of this show. I didn't hear a lot so maybe I missed all the good bits. It is telling, perhaps, that the most engaging segment I heard was the "Mind the gap" man. Woo hoo.

The Larry Gogan interview should have been better but there was something wrong with Larry's sound that day. A short hard echo I think. You'd think RTE could do better tech than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

bbability wrote: »
    Ray Darcy is not in holding. He's fifty and not in the right target audience for 2fm. if they move him to that slot it will solidify the self destruct button has been pressed at 2fm under its current administration.

2FM has a target audience these days? When did that happen?!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Good show today, don't agree with Richard Boyd Barrett's politics but fair play to him for speaking out on this. In my experience it's a subject that needs to be talked about more.

Catastrophe on Channel 4/4oD is very much worth a watch. The two of them get on very well together and that comes across in the show too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

so previously when there was a thread on Ray while he was at Today FM word is he was livid at the honest commentary being posted and supposedly Will came up with the idea of 'games' that required listeners to know numbers that changed by the day/hour.
    The result being that 'fans' were able to post on the boards thread the numbers as they changed and negative comments were pushed into cyber history.

wonder how long before history repeats here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Tooky wrote: »
    The tv ads for the show are beyond embarrassing

I think they would have been far better NOT creating an ad with fake callers. Everybody knew the show hadnt started yet and that the callers and their stories were made up... I think they've even dressed somebody up as a cancer patient, which is in bad taste... They should have just waited for a few weeks of real callers and made the ad on REAL calls..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Tooky wrote: »
    I have read that a few times and don't understand

I think I remember this comp. Wasn't it a case that they announced a sequence of numbers throughout the duration of the show. So say Mairead read out the first number at 9.30, second at 10.05 and another near the end of the show. They then allowed you to call in with the sequence. People on Boards and social media were putting up the sequence so you didn't even have to listen in to win.

statto25 wrote: »
    I think I remember this comp. Wasn't it a case that they announced a sequence of numbers throughout the duration of the show. So say Mairead read out the first number at 9.30, second at 10.05 and another near the end of the show. They then allowed you to call in with the sequence. People on Boards and social media were putting up the sequence so you didn't even have to listen in to win.

Yes and the result was that (for example) a comment about Rays poor interview with someone was pushed down the thread, anyone clicking onto the thread simply saw posts containing random numbers rather than 'Ray just messed up again'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/its-a-long-way-from-old-pro-gay-to-cliched-ray-30973277.html

to be fair to him, he's hardly a critics favourite but the jnlr figures are the ultimate arbiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

digzy wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/its-a-long-way-from-old-pro-gay-to-cliched-ray-30973277.html

to be fair to him, he's hardly a critics favourite but the jnlr figures are the ultimate arbiter.
    Typical Spindo radio column. RTE bad.... Newstalk good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

The Ray Darcy programme has only been on RTE a wet week, it's simply ridiculous and ludicrous to slate it within that time frame. I for one wouldn't listen to all of it and he does like to lecture a bit, but at first listening, it's still a damn sight better than some of the other similar programming on RTE1 radio.

BarryD wrote: »
    The Ray Darcy programme has only been on RTE a wet week, it's simply ridiculous and ludicrous to slate it within that time frame. I for one wouldn't listen to all of it and he does like to lecture a bit, but at first listening, it's still a damn sight better than some of the other similar programming on RTE1 radio.

He's a professional broadcaster, amongst the highest paid in the World, he's had months to prepare for the new slot, it's all up for critique I'm afraid to inform you.
    He's lucky he moved, his numbers were falling, the activity surrounding the move distracted from his poor JNLR results

RTE have spent our cash buying a dud.

my friend wrote: »

Time will tell.

And that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The odd thing about D'Arcy is that, for a man who makes his living by talking, he doesn't really seem to have that much to say. Having him up against Michael Harding exposed the difference. Harding brings experience, wit, wisdom, and some great stories, like the one about his mother not speaking to him for six months because "she thought I shrunk the TV on her". The producers should have him on regularly, because a show can be defined by its guests as much as by its presenter - think how much right-wing US pundit Michael Graham's contributions to The Right Hook help set it apart from the competition - and D'Arcy needs people with a hinterland to counterbalance his more tabloid weaknesses. He has a tendency to opt for laddishness as his default setting. He kept giggling throughout the item on the medical use of what he called, with schoolboy pleasure, "human ****e". He also referred to micro-organisms that live in the gut as "these little feckers inside us". Not very Radio 1.

I think that paragraph nails it where Ray has gone wrong for years.

Michael Harding?? - this Michael Harding http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsfilmtv/michael-harding-meditates-on-religion-love-and-marriage-248584.html

Surely, and with due respect to anyone who suffers from the condition, we don't need another depressive on the radio waves. Between John Murray and Joe Duffy, are you trying to drive us all to the off switch!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I think they would have been far better NOT creating an ad with fake callers. Everybody knew the show hadnt started yet and that the callers and their stories were made up... I think they've even dressed somebody up as a cancer patient, which is in bad taste... They should have just waited for a few weeks of real callers and made the ad on REAL calls..

Lord.

I suppose you think he went around peoples houses around the country with his desk and tea as well do you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That person wasn't saying that at all. However it does show what a hypocrite he is because it does all look very real so you would be easily fooled.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Lord.

I suppose you think he went around peoples houses around the country with his desk and tea as well do you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

my friend wrote: »
    He's a professional broadcaster, amongst the highest paid in the World, he's had months to prepare for the new slot, it's all up for critique I'm afraid to inform you.
    He's lucky he moved, his numbers were falling, the activity surrounding the move distracted from his poor JNLR results

+1000000%

[
    Surely, and with due respect to anyone who suffers from the condition, we don't need another depressive on the radio waves. Between John Murray and Joe Duffy, are you trying to drive us all to the off switch!! :)[/QUOTE]

Disagree.. Michael Harding has a lot to say, unlike D'Arcy's amateurish ramblings.

BarryD wrote: »
    Michael Harding?? - this Michael Harding

Surely, and with due respect to anyone who suffers from the condition, we don't need another depressive on the radio waves. Between John Murray and Joe Duffy, are you trying to drive us all to the off switch!! :)

Harding is interesting and expresses himself so well, unlike D'Arcy's amateurish ramblings.

• Advertisement

Lord. I suppose you think he went around peoples houses around the country with his desk and tea as well do you? :rolleyes:

Okay then, well in the ad Ray is portrayed as being clinical at using the controls and moves swiftly between callers without making a mistake... So instead of me giving out about the false and disingenuous content used for the ad, how about I change my complaint to false advertising instead...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Okay then, well in the ad Ray is portrayed as being clinical at using the controls and moves swiftly between callers without making a mistake... So instead of me giving out about the false and disingenuous content used for the ad, how about I change my complaint to false advertising instead...

He didn't press any buttons in the ad. Don't know what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know it's early days for RD.

But I didn't take an immediate liking to the show at all. Not that I liked all the squealing and stuff from Mooney and his camped up friends either it has to be said. Brenda aside.

Anyway, surely there is room for a bit of travel escapism, you know, holidays, mad places to visit and the like. And some cooking stuff, and, god knows there are so many topics that would take up twenty minutes or half an hour of interesting stuff that is NOT current affairs.

God where is the imagination of radio producers these days? Especially in that time of a shift?

It is Moncrieff all the way for me. He has mad and weird guests, you can see him smiling at their off the wallness, and he has food and drink slots that are very very good.

So I'm movin the dial for good at 3pm.

Moncrieff doesn't take himself too seriously. I fear others do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

I think Darcy is previewing the Euro Song 2015 hopefuls tomorrow which will be interesting listening. Under the Mooney stewardship, RTE Radio's handling of the whole Eurovision business had become an embarrassment with even the most abysmal entrant being hailed as being somehow worthy. It's a tricky subject for a presenter to handle though, as to be explicitly honest about a national contest that your employer is responsible for, and that also means a lot to a certain amount of the population presents its own set of challenges. So it'll be interesting to see how Darcy acquits himself, but at least Brenda won't be there to pour saccharine over musical treacle...

It seems to me that Darcy may have been recruited to arrest the drift of Radio One's afternoon slot to an 'oldies' type of show. However, I would guess that RD's old audience have maybe other things to be doing at that time and/or won't necessarily be interested in 'moving the dial'. And the previous Radio One following may not take to RD which would mean further slippage, rather than an upward curve. Which might see Darcy shifted on to a morning slot at 2FM after a while, and a 'safe pair of hands' drafted in to steady the listing ship - Marty, anyone? :rolleyes:

Aside form the above, I would say he does suffer from the lack of a 'sidekick' to lighten the load for him at the moment. The sound of his producer/wife tittering along through the ear-piece is just droll and quite unprofessional and something they need to address before it goes much further...

Interesting times ahead!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 Rigsy

The ad used old regulars from his old show. I know a lad that was on it.

Rigsy wrote: »
    The ad used old regulars from his old show. I know a lad that was on it.

Oh really. that's interesting. I would have thought that TodayFM would have not allowed that.. Surely it's their "material"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Oh really. that's interesting. I would have thought that TodayFM would have not allowed that.. Surely it's their "material"?

It's not as if Today Fm has rights over their listeners or their opinions.
    It's not as if they used sound bites from the old Darcy show.

It's not as if Today Fm has rights over their listeners or their opinions.
    It's not as if they used sound bites from the old Darcy show.

Ah yeah, he obviously re-recorded the same content... I cant imagine that TodayFM are impressed though.. I mean they paid him well for doing those interviews for their station and here he is using the interviews to promote his show on a rival station..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You're hilarious...it's actually worth posting a comment that remotely is criticism in order to get a response from you!!!!!
    He didn't press any buttons in the ad. Don't know what you're on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ah yeah, he obviously re-recorded the same content... I cant imagine that TodayFM are impressed though.. I mean they paid him well for doing those interviews for their station and here he is using the interviews to promote his show on a rival station..

Similar issue with the ex smokers I would have thought. Surely anything done while at the old employer remains the property of the employer not the employee? Maybe radio is different

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement