Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I think half the time it has to be put on though. Just look at how many times he presses wrong buttons and messes up. Surely after all this time he would know he basics.

You are forgetting that he is really bad at being on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Beg to differ.
    And he is extremely rude, rushing people along just so he can take an ad break.

What??? If you listen to any radio presenter, you'll find instances where their producer is in their ear and telling them to end the segment so an ad break can be taken. It happens all the time on shows where ad breaks are placed.

I understand that Ray is not everyone's cup of tea but he's not half as bad as people here continually make out. At least he wasn't born with a silver spoon or microphone in his mouth and has to make his way in life on the basis of his talents and hard work. For that alone, he deserves respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD wrote: »
    What??? If you listen to any radio presenter, you'll find instances where their producer is in their ear and telling them to end the segment so an ad break can be taken. It happens all the time on shows where ad breaks are placed.

I understand that Ray is not everyone's cup of tea but he's not half as bad as people here continually make out. At least he wasn't born with a silver spoon or microphone in his mouth and has to make his way in life on the basis of his talents and hard work. For that alone, he deserves respect.

Nah, mate, nothing to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭goochy

BarryD you must be a friend of his or relation ? hard work ? don't think radio presenters know the meaning of it.
    he may have been good once upon a time but he is poor in pretty much every way - don't see any talent there ! ( never listened to him b4 he moved to radio 1 and theres nothing else on )

its all to do with being on radio 1 , Sean o Rourke gets a lot more listeners than Pat Kenny but is a much poorer broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Thanks for the laugh Barry - genuinely. Had a bad week but that cheered me up.

Joe Duffy is a hard working, modest man of the people and professional broadcaster too, right?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

If by hard work and talent you mean being the butt of the joke of 2 puppets and wrestling a giant teddy bear to the ground, then you are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Complaint about the song on the way in from the LGBTQ society.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: Just a reminder that it is not allowed by the charter to accuse someone of being associated with the presenter just because they aren't joining in with the majority.

the LGBTQ society.
    Dill says we should say LGBTQIA.

The rate Dill is going, she'll have gone 'round the alphabet twice before next Summer.

goochy wrote: »
    BarryD you must be a friend of his or relation ? hard work ?

Sorry neither a relation, friend nor have I ever met the chap in my life. But from what I've gathered of Ray's life, he grew up in a largish family in a local authority house, his father was an army man I think. Now I see a good few people of that sort of background when I go down to the post office on my business there - they have their social welfare cards out, know all their entitlements and despite being well able for a days work, contribute very little to society. At least Ray and many more like him have taken what talents they have in life and made something of them. And to argue that D'Arcy has no talents as a broadcaster is just plain ridiculous. At the very least he's never stuck for a word and has plenty of opinions even if they aren't to all peoples tastes.

• Advertisement

Rubbish. Lots of people come from a humble background and become successful in their chosen career. D'Arcy is quite honestly the rudest most opinionated and defensive presenter on radio (plus the least enjoyable to listen to) he is hesitant in his interviews, asks ridiculous questions and comes across as being arrogant.

Now you might not think so, that's your perogative as his biggest (only?) fan on these boards.

D'Arcy is quite honestly the rudest most opinionated and defensive presenter on radio (plus the least enjoyable to listen to) he is hesitant in his interviews, asks ridiculous questions and comes across as being arrogant. Now you might not think so, that's your perogative as his biggest (only?) fan on these boards.

I'm certainly not Ray D'Arcy's No1 fan, he has his faults but sure which of us don't? I do however find him mostly listenable to. It might be poor for presenters of news shows to express opinions but in the case of this slot, having opinions is fine. At least with Ray you know broadly what his opinions are and he sticks with them which is important.

What I can't stand are presenters whose opinions change according to how they perceive the public mood. Gay Byrne and his protege Joe Duffy were/ are prime examples. Gay could say one thing one week and change his tune entirely the next - running with the hare and hunting with hounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Horse84

I'm certainly not Ray D'Arcy's No1 fan, he has his faults but sure which of us don't? I do however find him mostly listenable to. It might be poor for presenters of news shows to express opinions but in the case of this slot, having opinions is fine. At least with Ray you know broadly what his opinions are and he sticks with them which is important.

What I can't stand are presenters whose opinions change according to how they perceive the public mood. Gay Byrne and his protege Joe Duffy were/ are prime examples. Gay could say one thing one week and change his tune entirely the next - running with the hare and hunting with hounds.

But that is exactly what D'arcy does! Jesus the man lambasted RTE when he was on today fm and then what does he go and do? Only go and take the lavish wages and work for them. What about his promotion of the property boom when it was out of control and now all of a sudden he's a champion of the homeless. I could go on and on there are innumerable examples of him changing his opinion to suit the public mood or himself for that matter. When Munster were doing well in the rugby did he not switch allegiances from Leinster and was called out for doing so as far as I can remember.He's the ultimate populist buffoon, how you can't see that is beyond me quite frankly.

Horse84 wrote: »
    But that is exactly what D'arcy does! Jesus the man lambasted RTE when he was on today fm and then what does he go and do? Only go and take the lavish wages and work for them. What about his promotion of the property boom when it was out of control and now all of a sudden he's a champion of the homeless. I could go on and on there are innumerable examples of him changing his opinion to suit the public mood or himself for that matter. When Munster were doing well in the rugby did he not switch allegiances from Leinster and was called out for doing so as far as I can remember.He's the ultimate populist buffoon, how you can't see that is beyond me quite frankly.

Nailed it there Horse, pushed in way above his level of competency.

It's Hairdresser Radio, uninformed, reading questions from a script, staccato delivery in interviews, D'Arcy is not the heavyweight RTE thought they had in that slot. What were they thinking about hosing taxpayers money down the pan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The sheer hypocrisy of Ray D'Arcy is incredible. He's going out of his way to cover this topic today, so that he can bash the Catholic Church. He had a Muslim cleric in a few weeks ago who said that being gay was a sin, and that gay people chose to be gay and needed to change their ways. He said NOTHING to challenge this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The sheer hypocrisy of Ray D'Arcy is incredible. He's going out of his way to cover this topic today, so that he can bash the Catholic Church. He had a Muslim cleric in a few weeks ago who said that being gay was a sin, and that gay people chose to be gay and needed to change their ways. He said NOTHING to challenge this man.

You want some Muslim bashing?

You want some Muslim bashing?

Joe Duffy: praise be to Allah!

I didn't hear much church bashing in the interview with Fr.Iggy? Not quite sure about the logic of the latter but discussion seemed fair enough to me.

Didn't hear the show (rarely tune in, only if I am getting a lift with a certain colleague who never turns her dial) ) but that would be typical of him.

he tries SOOO hard to be 'trendy' its pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

23 complaints about his Pamela Anderson interview late last year apparently.

This guy is almost permanently in a state of "under investigation" it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

padd b1975 wrote: »
    23 complaints about his Pamela Anderson interview late last year apparently.

This guy is almost permanently in a state of "under investigation" it seems.
    500000 a year for giving listeners and his employers a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

goochy wrote: »
    BarryD you must be a friend of his or relation ? hard work ? don't think radio presenters know the meaning of it.
    he may have been good once upon a time but he is poor in pretty much every way - don't see any talent there ! ( never listened to him b4 he moved to radio 1 and theres nothing else on )

its all to do with being on radio 1 , Sean o Rourke gets a lot more listeners than Pat Kenny but is a much poorer broadcaster.
    Have to disagree with you there. I was a big Pat fan when he was on radio one, buat I think his move to NT has not worked well at all. Instead of bringing NT up to his standards, he has dropped to theirs. Sean o Rourke, IMHO has actually upped his game and has more than replaced pat. I think thats a big part of the reason why pat hasnt managed to raise his listenership after the initial jump.
    As for Ray, well words almost fail me. He is so bad, he is unmissable. His childish efforts to be liked and to be trendy are pathetic. You can pretty much figure the agenda most days, LGBT, mental health issues, nasty Christians,islamiphobia, mysoginy, or sexism. I suppose it makes it easier for his large research team, knowing they dont need to bother looking too far away from these headings to find guests.
    I wasnt a fan of Derek mooney, but at least you could get a laugh out of the guy. Ray is just endless doom and gloom, and his endless references to " do you know my wife jenny? " or " ive been to university " just make you cringe.
    Having said all that, he's the one getting half a million a year, so whos the plonker, me or him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

D'Arcy "has a problem with the Team GB thing".

I'd love to know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

D'Arcy "has a problem with the Team GB thing".

I'd love to know why.

And Kate is going to have a problem with Ray...

Have to disagree with you there. I was a big Pat fan when he was on radio one, buat I think his move to NT has not worked well at all. Instead of bringing NT up to his standards, he has dropped to theirs. Sean o Rourke, IMHO has actually upped his game and has more than replaced pat. I think thats a big part of the reason why pat hasnt managed to raise his listenership after the initial jump.
    As for Ray, well words almost fail me. He is so bad, he is unmissable. His childish efforts to be liked and to be trendy are pathetic. You can pretty much figure the agenda most days, LGBT, mental health issues, nasty Christians,islamiphobia, mysoginy, or sexism. I suppose it makes it easier for his large research team, knowing they dont need to bother looking too far away from these headings to find guests.
    I wasnt a fan of Derek mooney, but at least you could get a laugh out of the guy. Ray is just endless doom and gloom, and his endless references to " do you know my wife jenny? " or " ive been to university " just make you cringe.
    Having said all that, he's the one getting half a million a year, so whos the plonker, me or him?

correct and right Cavanman, Pat is way too far ahead of the Newstalk crowd to make any impact, he doesn't have the back up that is available in Rte.

What I mean is he starts off on a deep subject and then has to hand over to a reporter who hasn't a clue what half his words mean, some young wan or lad who couldn't tell you what county Newbridge was in.

That's where the problem arises, bit like Messi playing for Dundrum Athletic.

Different class.

As for Ray, well words almost fail me. He is so bad, he is unmissable. His childish efforts to be liked and to be trendy are pathetic. You can pretty much figure the agenda most days, LGBT, mental health issues, nasty Christians,islamiphobia, mysoginy, or sexism.

Agree re Pat - too much advertorial & fluffy material for my liking on Newstalk.

But Ray - 'LGBT, mental health issues, nasty Christians,islamiphobia, mysoginy, or sexism'???? Do you listen or maybe I miss a lot??

Ray tends to have a skeptical view of religion (does that equate to 'nasty Christians'). But he rarely covers gay issues and he's no misogynist and certainly not sexist. Is he worried about Muslims?? He doesn't need to make an effort to be liked. On the whole, I think he makes an honest effort even if he goes a bit heavy on the healthy living stuff from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Agree re Pat - too much advertorial & fluffy material for my liking on Newstalk.

But Ray - 'LGBT, mental health issues, nasty Christians,islamiphobia, mysoginy, or sexism'???? Do you listen or maybe I miss a lot??

Ray tends to have a skeptical view of religion (does that equate to 'nasty Christians'). But he rarely covers gay issues and he's no misogynist and certainly not sexist. Is he worried about Muslims?? He doesn't need to make an effort to be liked. On the whole, I think he makes an honest effort even if he goes a bit heavy on the healthy living stuff from time to time.

Did you see his Pamela Anderson interview?

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Did you see his Pamela Anderson interview?

Nope, this is a radio thread! Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 :)

I presume there's another thread for his TV show (which I don't watch)!

Nope, this is a radio thread! Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 :)

I presume there's another thread for his TV show (which I don't watch)!

He was like a horny teenager during that, more innuendo and sexist comments than a year's worth of Viz comics. It was very funny - not for the right reasons of course, nor was it intentional. One thing it was was unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭goochy

still stand by my opinions on Pat Kenny , wasn't Sean O Rourke a political presenter ? I find him too serious and don't like his manner - cant warm to him at all.

Get really fed up with Ray saying ' ye' all the time . He also made some remark about Foster and Allen letting other people look after their finances - however I would say they knew exactly what was going on with their taxes.

My late Mam was a fan of theirs and they look like butter wouldn't melt in their mouths but having heard them on radio now I can well believe that were in trouble with tax man. Sounded a bit rough and ready.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement