Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It truly boils my piss that I voted to retain the Seanad because I bought into the whole "We're gonna like, totez reform it guys!" bullsh*t.

Sucker! :) And we won't we getting any second chances to vote again on the Seanad. Nosiree. Still completely mystifies me how the Irish voters fluffed a wide open goal when they were given a penalty with no goal keeper.

Whenever I'm talking to someone and they start giving out about politicians now, I enquire how they voted in the Seanad referendum! Mostly voters just didn't bother I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I'm still stunned that Sinn Fein would let this guy go on the national broadcaster being so badly prepared. Say what you want about Sinn Fein, but they normally have their people immaculately prepared with their answers. Nobody deviates from the party line.

And this lads on air saying "Well what do you mean Gerry has blood on his hands". I'd say Gerry had his ceann in his hands as he listened to that interview.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Are you people not at all worried about the obvious power-grab the last government attempted (with some success) by preying on populist nonsense around the function of the Seanad and other emanations of the State?

The Seanad doesn't work the way an upper house is supposed to but that is what needs to be changed, as opposed to abolishing it altogether. It's there to provide a safeguard against a crackpot government going cray cray and ultimately, to keep the Dáil in check in the event of an absolute majority by one party.

It needs to be reformed without a doubt but Kenny was on record saying if the referendum failed (ie retain the Seanad), it would not be reformed. Even with that ultimatum in place, thankfully one of the main checks and balances of any democracy remained intact. It's a pity the electorate weren't so far-sighted when it came to the judiciary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The audacity of the prick to have a sleeping pattern that involves normally being asleep at midnight! What a twat! You'd swear he was 50 with young kids or something the way he goes on.

The day/night that I'd have to set my alarm to wake me up at midnight, you can take me out and shoot me.

It truly boils my piss that I voted to retain the Seanad because I bought into the whole "We're gonna like, totez reform it guys!" bullsh*t.

Anybody who voted to retain The Seanad is a buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Are you people not at all worried about the obvious power-grab the last government attempted (with some success) by preying on populist nonsense around the function of the Seanad and other emanations of the State?

The Seanad doesn't work the way an upper house is supposed to but that is what needs to be changed, as opposed to abolishing it altogether. It's there to provide a safeguard against a crackpot government going cray cray and ultimately, to keep the Dáil in check in the event of an absolute majority by one party.

It needs to be reformed without a doubt but Kenny was on record saying if the referendum failed (ie retain the Seanad), it would not be reformed. Even with that ultimatum in place, thankfully one of the main checks and balances of any democracy remained intact. It's a pity the electorate weren't so far-sighted when it came to the judiciary.

Hear, hear.

The reforms needed seemed so simple and universally popular that I really thought they'd be followed up on. But then, at the time I sort of assumed that FG wouldn't win the next election.

I mean, how hard is it to simply enact a piece of legislation that says "Anyone who was in the previous Dail cannot sit in the current Seanad, and anyone in the previous Seanad cannot run in the next Dail election."

Boom. The use of the Seanad as a dumping ground for TDs who've lost their seats, or as a platform to build profile for a seat in the next election solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's worse he's getting.
    "It's been a year since your wife and daughter died. How are ya? , really, How are ya?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's worse he's getting.
    "It's been a year since your wife and daughter died. How are ya? , really, How are ya?"

He is devoid of all empathy!

What a very strange conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Heartbreaking story really.

Trust Ray to make it awkward and strange..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

I don't get it. Why couldn't he just use formula?

I've always thought Ray D'Arcy is a very strange person. Very strange indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It eventually comes back to Ray's breast feeding fixation.

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's worse he's getting.

"Pilot, jaysus that's a very glamourous job ha?"

"How are you coping as a single dad?"

"Right. Bye so. Bye"

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Utah wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why couldn't he just use formula?

While donor milk is not for me (except in the case of preemie and sick babies where it comes from the milk bank), some people will not use formula and would prefer donor milk. He did it because his wife was such a strong breastfeeding advocate and he wanted to honour that. It's pretty amazing really.

Are you people not at all worried about the obvious power-grab the last government attempted (with some success) by preying on populist nonsense around the function of the Seanad and other emanations of the State?.

Ah come off it, your average back bench TD has little or no effect. But the Seanad is replete with toothless wafflers and in the event such as you describe, likely to be under the same party control. It's like an appendix, there for a reason once but redundant now - an unnecessary drain on the public purse and patience.

As for Ray and his sugar tax......... something tells me he might be out of step with his public.

bahahha sure wouldn't you love a blast of Cecilia in the middle of an Olympic fight..

Good man Ray...

"Will you just explain that, Paddy, to people who don't understand". i.e. me.

"And Billy Walsh was there when you won the medals, and he wasnt there when you lost did you miss him. "

Ray ignoring the fact that Paddy Barnes and Billy Walsh didnt really get on.

• Advertisement

Could think of nothing more torturous than having to do an interview with d'Arcy the day after you've been dumped out of the Olympics in the first round..

Lucky Paddy seems like a pretty down to earth guy

I'm sure I must have heard a worse interview than this but, off the top of my head, I can't remember one!

And Oliver has a tough bout tonight doesnt he... lol

If I hear about cupping one more time on the radio today...

Dempsey, Moncrieff, d'Arcy..can't get away from it, its weird

Paddy Barnes thought we might get 8 medals out of 8 boxers, now reckons we might get 7 medals. Hmm, maybe taken too many blows. 1 or maybe 2, if very lucky and quite possibly none.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It needs to be reformed without a doubt but Kenny was on record saying if the referendum failed (ie retain the Seanad), it would not be reformed.

And it hasn't been, and it won't be. Any realistic attempts to reform will require another referendum which will have the same scare stories made by the same people determined to keep their cosy little income stream going, and won't pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

cyning wrote: »
    While donor milk is not for me (except in the case of preemie and sick babies where it comes from the milk bank), some people will not use formula and would prefer donor milk. He did it because his wife was such a strong breastfeeding advocate and he wanted to honour that. It's pretty amazing really.

My wife, and I've seen a few over in the newborn forum, donated milk when she had our last kid. It was used for premature and/or ill babies and it was great to get a card in return telling her how many babies used her milk.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My wife, and I've seen a few over in the newborn forum, donated milk when she had our last kid. It was used for premature and/or ill babies and it was great to get a card in return telling her how many babies used her milk.

Sure, it's a very decent thing to do for others. Anyone who has a problem with it needs to get back in touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Ray ,"What do you say to women who don't breastfeed?"..

Louise ,"I'm not one to learn lecture"...

Nice dig Louise..

• Advertisement

Another "laugh at the Church" item. How many is that this month?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement