Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

Like many in RTE, Marty is awful on tv but usually a pleasure on the wireless.

D'arcy is bloody awful at both.

How this chancer has got himself into this fortunate position says a lot about the discerning Irish public.

I don't follow tv that closely but did D'arcy elbow O'Connor out of a job?

While I've never been a fan of BOC per se at least he has something resembling a personality. I loved his interview with Pussy Riot a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

jimmyw wrote: »
    He is in line with the others to be fair,whats their excuse?...RTE policy I suppose !!

We 're digressing into danger territory here now.........:D

His wife has been off for the past couple of weeks, if we're to believe Ray's anecdotes of living alone and doing his own thing lately (presumably he's been having plenty of wild porridge parties and he's been staying up until the ungodly hour of 10.00pm). It's unlikely that Jenny will be returning to "work" next week while Ray takes a break.

And RTE wonder why so many people refuse to pay the licence fee. An absolute joke of an organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I don't follow tv that closely but did D'arcy elbow O'Connor out of a job?

If I can quote D'Arcy at the time... "No, it wasnt my idea, I didn't take Brendan's job". Presumably D'Arcy thought that RTE were going to put a second show on it's other main station if he didn't think that Brendan would lose his job when he was offered the job of Saturday Night Show presenter.

tbh, it's this sort of hypocrisy that I hate about D'Arcy. He'll give out yards about politicians giving mealy mouthed answers, and then come out with sh1te like that himself.

I presume that the pious Ray D'Arcy wont be covering the Katie Taylor match cos he doesn't agree with fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I presume that the pious Ray D'Arcy wont be covering the Katie Taylor match cos he doesn't agree with fighting.

Felt so strongly he took the week off !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,342 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And next week too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

2weeks. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Just leave the commentary on and stop going back to studio- "oh must fill air time"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

And next week too :pac:

So whats the D'Arcy holiday count at so far this year now?

EDIT: I just read back a page!

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    So whats the D'Arcy holiday count at so far this year now?
    Scroll back there a bit. WNolan did an estimate.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Scroll back there a bit. WNolan did an estimate.

He's heading for 45 holidays by this rate - 6-8 days at Christmas and probably another week somewhere else.

Kids' back to school week.
    Halloween.
    Xmas.

There's potential for up to 20 more days.

That's it Kathryn, play us something uplifting.

Just watching the boxing. Could Joe Stack not give her a chanse to compose herself. Typical RTE. Going for the tears moneyshot.

"How do you feel?"

Oh will ye leave her alone ffs.

I'm surprised that D'Arcy didnt come back from his holidays for this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

BPKS wrote: »
    He's heading for 45 holidays by this rate - 6-8 days at Christmas and probably another week somewhere else.

Just to say, for my count, I discounted days at the start of the year because most (not all) workers would have had them off. Similarly, at the end of the year, I don't think it'd be fair to add on days for anything past the 23rd (so I'd give a pass on the Friday before Christmas and then up until NYE).

My count is strictly for annual leave (hence, no Bank Holidays have been added either).

If you wanted to include those, I'd say he's close to the 40 mark as is.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just to say, for my count, I discounted days at the start of the year because most (not all) workers would have had them off. Similarly, at the end of the year, I don't think it'd be fair to add on days for anything past the 23rd (so I'd give a pass on the Friday before Christmas and then up until NYE).

My count is strictly for annual leave (hence, no Bank Holidays have been added either).

Fair point on the Bank Holidays.

But most companies open 3 days between Christmas and New Years eve. If I want those days off I need to take holidays. Usually back to work on January 2nd or 3rd.

So close to the 40 mark it is:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Kathryn very good in this interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

honeybear wrote: »
    Kathryn very good in this interview

She kinda grows on ya I think.She is a bit better than the regular host, which is not great considering the standard is low to begin with.............:p

His wife has been off for the past couple of weeks, if we're to believe Ray's anecdotes of living alone and doing his own thing lately (presumably he's been having plenty of wild porridge parties and he's been staying up until the ungodly hour of 10.00pm). It's unlikely that Jenny will be returning to "work" next week while Ray takes a break.

And RTE wonder why so many people refuse to pay the licence fee. An absolute joke of an organisation.

They are a right pair of tossers...
    Do they bring Will on holiday with them?

Still, gives us a great break too, not having to listen to Ray.

Kathryn not great but way better than him

He will be back soon with lots of 'amusing' anecdotes about his mundane kids

Time for me to turn the dial again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I generally only listen to the first 30 minutes or so of the show, and I'm not a huge fan of Ray, but the format strains to breaking point when it's Kathryn Thomas in the hot seat.
    The items selected are just transplants of his old morning show.
    Take Monday: we had the woman who couldn't get her son into a primary school because he hadn't been baptised. She's been on with Ray a few times, and it's a live issue for a lot of families - and, hey, she had some good news: her son had got a school place! But it was in a brand new school - and if I recall correctly, the mother had something to do with getting the facility to open in the first place.
    So what's the takeaway for a parent in a similar position? Kick up a fuss and get yourself and your child into the media - and then help open your own school?
    It just felt like a cause that Ray had latched on to, because he's in the position now of picking schools for his own kids, and although everything works out for this particular parent, there's no practical help for others like her.
    Then yesterday we had the story of the woman who found an engagement ring in a service station.
    This has 'Today FM-era Ray D'Arcy' written all over it. It's fun and slightly intriguing - but it's worth about 5 minutes at about 20 past 9 on a Wednesday morning. I know producers have to balance serious stuff with light but there are loads of quirky and interesting people with stories to tell out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I generally only listen to the first 30 minutes or so of the show, and I'm not a huge fan of Ray, but the format strains to breaking point when it's Kathryn Thomas in the hot seat.
    The items selected are just transplants of his old morning show.
    Take Monday: we had the woman who couldn't get her son into a primary school because he hadn't been baptised. She's been on with Ray a few times, and it's a live issue for a lot of families - and, hey, she had some good news: her son had got a school place! But it was in a brand new school - and if I recall correctly, the mother had something to do with getting the facility to open in the first place.
    So what's the takeaway for a parent in a similar position? Kick up a fuss and get yourself and your child into the media - and then help open your own school?
    It just felt like a cause that Ray had latched on to, because he's in the position now of picking schools for his own kids, and although everything works out for this particular parent, there's no practical help for others like her.
    Then yesterday we had the story of the woman who found an engagement ring in a service station.
    This has 'Today FM-era Ray D'Arcy' written all over it. It's fun and slightly intriguing - but it's worth about 5 minutes at about 20 past 9 on a Wednesday morning. I know producers have to balance serious stuff with light but there are loads of quirky and interesting people with stories to tell out there.

Like I have said before, lad is out of his depth

Hairdresser radio is all he is able for, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I know producers have to balance serious stuff with light but there are loads of quirky and interesting people with stories to tell out there.

Agree that he does tend to stick with established ideas but what do people want after Duffy and his regular diet of death, misery and criminality etc etc??

Personally I don't object to Ray's topics anymore that Mooney's. The woman interviewed re the school enrollment policies had a very fair point to make. The naked hostility is some of the calls read out to her would make you wonder about this wee country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GottaLaugh

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Have you taken his work on his TV show on Saturdays into account? That would easily account for the shortfall of days on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

GottaLaugh wrote: »
    Have you taken his work on his TV show on Saturdays into account? That would easily account for the shortfall of days on the radio.

Or Operation Transformation etc - but that's just stating the obvious and doesn't really suit the agenda here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Nope, I haven't and I must admit that was a total oversight on my part as I genuinely haven't watched the show since the first episode so it's not something I immediately associate with D'Arcy. But that's actually an interesting point. I may investigate (or perhaps someone else will before I get around to it :o) that just to put the figure out there.

Although, you do get into tricky territory if you do add those days, because then you could argue that any Saturday that the TV isn't on would count as a holiday...

Well he certainly had a habit of taking off the following Monday when the Saturday Night Show was on. Either way, I don't know how he expects to build a brand name when he takes so many days off. I heard an ad for "The Ray D'Arcy Show" the other day and it featured Kathryn Thomas (who was filling in for him). How ridiculous is that.

And to be frank, it was D'Arcy's choice to do the radio show AND the TV show. If he wasnt prepared to do both jobs together, or expected time in lieu for the extra time spent on one or the other, then he shouldn't have agreed to do both shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GottaLaugh

Although, you do get into tricky territory if you do add those days, because then you could argue that any Saturday that the TV isn't on would count as a holiday...
    And to be frank, it was D'Arcy's choice to do the radio show AND the TV show. If he wasnt prepared to do both jobs together, or expected time in lieu for the extra time spent on one or the other, then he shouldn't have agreed to do both shows.

There may not be time in lieu or tricky calculations about non-Saturdays, both radio and TV shows are for the same employer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement