Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

To be fair to Ray, his predecessor Derek always appeared to be on holidays too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Katherine Thomas today talking about which would be the easiest sport at the Olympics if you 'worked your ass off'.

She has no class.

Would you hear Mary Wilson talking like that on RTE 1 Radio? I doubt it. She is just a prettish face who loves herself and who likes the camera a lot.

In fairness to Ray (not something I usually say), at least he's a Monday to Friday and Saturday night man.

What's Marian's excuse? She works two days a week and seems to only turn up when she happens to have spare time on her hands. There are plenty of schoolchildren working longer hours than her.

Oh sorry, she has to 'listen to the news every day', which is a job in itself for Marian. Remember that chestnut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

honeybear wrote: »
    To be fair to Ray, his predecessor Derek always appeared to be on holidays too

Maybe it's a policy of sorts to ring the changes for a proportion of the time? Have your anchor people on a good 2/3rds or 3/4 of the time say to establish an identity but then vary the other 1/3 or whatever to keep things from going stale??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD wrote: »
    Maybe it's a policy of sorts to ring the changes for a proportion of the time? Have your anchor people on a good 2/3rds or 3/4 of the time say to establish an identity but then vary the other 1/3 or whatever to keep things from going stale??

No it's not Barry, back in the day the luminaries of RTE worked what are known as teachers hours.Gaybo and Mike et al negotiated this and it became the 'accepted practice '.

You'll find that most of them are 'away' when ever the kids are off school. Xmas, Easter, term breaks as such.

This is now what they expect many years on, and it won't change anytime soon.

Sorry to break it so bluntly.

• Advertisement

No it's not Barry, back in the day the luminaries of RTE worked what are known as teachers hours.Gaybo and Mike et al negotiated this and it became the 'accepted practice '.

You'll find that most of them are 'away' when ever the kids are off school. Xmas, Easter, term breaks as such.

This is now what they expect many years on, and it won't change anytime soon.

Whatever Brendan, but it amounts to the same thing from a scheduling point of view. I don't particularly care for say Tubridy, so I hit the switch at 0901 Mon-Fri., when I hear his prattle. But when he's away on his teachers holliers as you say, well then I'm more inclined to leave it on. A change is good as a rest etc. I'm sure this is quite normal and those who plan and execute shows are well aware of the importance of a certain amount of variance.

BarryD wrote: »
    Whatever Brendan, but it amounts to the same thing from a scheduling point of view. I don't particularly care for say Tubridy, so I hit the switch at 0901 Mon-Fri., when I hear his prattle. But when he's away on his teachers holliers as you say, well then I'm more inclined to leave it on. A change is good as a rest etc. I'm sure this is quite normal and those who plan and execute shows are well aware of the importance of a certain amount of variance.

That's my point Barry, you are perfectly correct in saying that change freshens things up, but that's not why RTE do it, unfortunately.

It's nice that you have faith in RTE but anyone who could leave poor John in the 0900-1000 slot for so long and not realise there was a problem, regrettably would not seem too clued in to this poster.

Your point is valid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

On one of the rare ocasions I tuned in. Before the olympics began he made a smug comment about Team GB seems theyve had the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yeah. What was his problem there? It's their team. They can call it what they like. If some gobsh!te on an English station had a problem with us being called "Team Ireland", he's be the first to start whinging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Will D'Arcy get this one back on to explain this story:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-campaigner-erica-refused-two-house-offers-34981951.html

Ya, I doubt it too.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-campaigner-erica-refused-two-house-offers-34981951.html

Ya, I doubt it too.

It must be very frustrating for civic authorities trying to deal with this problem, when they have to cope with this sort of intransigence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Since when did intransigence and a greedy cow mean the same thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ya, I doubt it too.

Of course he won't. All these presenters, like Joe Duffy, never ask any difficult questions as they don't want to get the image of being against the common man/woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Ya, I doubt it too.

He won't be too keen to have Leo on in the near future either. I was fed up with this freeloader getting so much airtime on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The thing I found most contemptible about that documentary she filmed in her hotel room, was how she used her daughter as fodder for her own crusade. There should be some law against this. I mean did anybody her daugher if she wanted to be on national TV, given all the possible social media and bullying implications. Now it comes out that all the times that her daughter was crying in the hotel room, they actually had the offer of a house.

Everybody who had gave her air time has a duty to bring her back in to answer some hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is Ray Darcy we are talking about.

There is only 1 side to every story.

Who knows, maybe they will revisit the story. Is Ray back today? Or am I losing track of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think K T said she was in for two weeks.

Francis Brennan - even I have my limits! Thanks for the warning Kathryn, time for the off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Another random crap story from the paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Had this on for background/white noise while in the garden. The poor dog wandered into the kitchen and yowled till I turned it off. RTE executives should not be paid to put drivel on the airways. These airheads should pay US to put up with what they come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I saw himself Jenny and the kids down in Crag caves last Wednesday, they were driving separate cars which I found interesting and I was more shocked when I saw Ray getting into his 04 D golf.
    Miserable git on his 500k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I I was more shocked when I saw Ray getting into his 04 D golf.

Probably nothing electronic in the Golf.

I saw himself Jenny and the kids down in Crag caves last Wednesday, they were driving separate cars which I found interesting and I was more shocked when I saw Ray getting into his 04 D golf.

The diatribe never ends here. If you think like that, it's more a reflection on you than Ray! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GottaLaugh

Aw come on. If he had a new Rolls you would be slagging him off too. He should be able to go about his private family life without having his travel arrangements reported on a public forum and described as "interesting", not cool at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

GottaLaugh wrote: »
    Aw come on. If he had a new Rolls you would be slagging him off too. He should be able to go about his private family life without having his travel arrangements reported on a public forum and described as "interesting", not cool at all.

Hear, hear.

"Flash git, showing off his 500k a year! :mad:"

Seriously, a lot of pople on this thread just seem to be looking for any little thing to latch on to to have a pop at him. There's plenty of legitimate gripes with his show rather than trying to manufacture stuff tbh...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Hear, hear.

"Flash git, showing off his 500k a year! :mad:"

Seriously, a lot of pople on this thread just seem to be looking for any little thing to latch on to to have a pop at him. There's plenty of legitimate gripes with his show rather than trying to manufacture stuff tbh...

Have to agree there Dubya, comment should refer to the show and not the person in their private life.

Like it doesn't 'follow' that someone on 500k should have a flash motor, if he's happy with the Golf, that's his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Christ lads you're all so precious this morning.
    Ya like commenting on the amount of holidays he takes has anything to do with the quality of his show.
    Or I'm sure none of you brought up his 500k salary when he was complaining about the price of the soup in the RTE canteen.
    Come down out of your ivory towers now chaps and replace all the windows in your glasshouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Christ lads you're all so precious this morning.
    Ya like commenting on the amount of holidays he takes has anything to do with the quality of his show.
    Or I'm sure none of you brought up his 500k salary when he was complaining about the price of the soup in the RTE canteen.
    Come down out of your ivory towers now chaps and replace all the windows in your glasshouses.

Salary is relevant because it's licence fee funded, number of holidays is relevant because it may (full figures aren't in yet) highlight an organisational culture problem in RTE and may illustrate a lack of value for money in the salary he receives. The taking the piss out of the soup thing was relevant because it was discussed on his show.

Taking a snipe at him because he hasn't spent his salary on a car you deem befitting of it is just taking a petty snipe because you don't like the man.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Salary is relevant because it's licence fee funded, number of holidays is relevant because it may (full figures aren't in yet) highlight an organisational culture problem in RTE and may illustrate a lack of value for money in the salary he receives. The taking the piss out of the soup thing was relevant because it was discussed on his show.

Taking a snipe at him because he hasn't spent his salary on a car you deem befitting of it is just taking a petty snipe because you don't like the man.

Agreed again Dubya, I can't stand the show and hopefully confine my comments to that, but what he drives or doesn't drive has no interest for me whatsoever.

Personally I think the lad is out of his depth on that show, but that's just an opinion on his performance which I think is not convincing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement